Moped Speeding Tickets

Share your stories, anyone ever get a speeding ticket on a moped? What was the cop like? How fast were you clocked?

Re: Moped Speeding Tickets

I once got caught doing 30mph in a 20mph zone, i only went onto the 20mph road because a black car was chasing me.

Turned out the fuckers in the black car were cops. ACAB.

I been pulled over alot in my town never got a ticket. I use the I was going down a hill excuse as I blast wot on my bike. They just check my license and ask if I have a car then I reply yes this is just my hobby for fun then I'm on my way. My neighbors hate my mopeds. They had the cops come to my house many different times they like my bike. I just stay away from their houses nothing anyone can do except run me over lol.

Mike Singer /

Wow, almost sounds like entrapment.

Mike Singer /

Do you tell them your hobby is trying to see how fast you can make it go?

> Tomos A35 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I been pulled over alot in my town never got a ticket. I use the I was

> going down a hill excuse as I blast wot on my bike. They just check my

> license and ask if I have a car then I reply yes this is just my hobby

> for fun then I'm on my way. My neighbors hate my mopeds. They had the

> cops come to my house many different times they like my bike. I just

> stay away from their houses nothing anyone can do except run me over

> lol.

No just for fun I see no point in going faster than 50 on a moped

Zero moving violations in my decades of driving all sorts of shyte on public roads.

I did get a parking ticket one time, but the cop actually did not read the parking sign correctly so that was a waste of everyone's time.

Mike Singer /

The only time I got stopped was on the way to Nascar race in Loudon, NH. I have a 2 kid bike trailer filled with beer and food attached to my moped when a cop flags me over to the side. Gave his buddy his phone so he could take a picture with my rig. Thought I was getting a ticket for something, not possible to speed on any of my mopeds

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve been stopped a few times for various bogus reasons, but the most memorable one was when I was pulled over for going too slow. Yes, too slow! I was on the shoulder of a 50 mph road which is perfectly legal in NJ. I can’t help it if people are too afraid to pass me when I’m riding on the shoulder. I explained that to the cop after he checked over all my paperwork and he finally let me go. That was 10 minutes I’ll never get back.

Had almost every violation of traffic law when younger, in a car, only ticket ever on two wheels was for wearing headphones on my moped at 15. Got stopped for 48 in a 30 on my M-b5, was tagged as a moped at the time, cop just scratched his head and said "I thought mopeds could not go faster than 30?" I told him they can't, only 50cc....gave me my license back and said he must have "misread his radar" "slow that thing down so you don't kill yourself" and drove off. :) Not even been pulled over in the last 20 yrs, except for once on my Hobbit, the cop just wanted to ask what it was, (he was young and had never seen a moped) not due to any violation, he's still on the force and always waves when he sees's me.

I got stopped a few times on my 57 Moto Beta. It's a 49cc motorcycle but I registered it as a moped, no pedals, top speed of 55.

Never for speeding or anything illegal. Cops just wanted to check it out and take pictures.

When I was 15 in 1984 my friends had a Honda express that went 15-20mph. We'd ride doubles to the beach, about 15 miles.

Little kids with no helmets, no license, unregistered bike. We got stopped so many times it wasn't funny anymore. Always got let go and told to walk it home. Until the last time. Same cop who busted us at least five times loaded it in his trunk, took us to the police station, and my friends mom had to pick us up.

She wasn't happy, and the dad took the bike and it disappeared.

Here's another pic of my Moto Beta.

ADSC_1534.sized.jpg

1st time pulled over I had a skateboard helmet and was rding a 68 honda cub. Motorcycle cop on a BMW pulled me and said I'd need a motorcycle helmet on a motorcycle, I replied "oh, it's a moped" which in actuality is not true, it's not a moped, nor does that absolve the need for proper DOT helmet. but he was sated and rode next to me the next 1/2 mile asking all kinda questions about where i got it, how to fix it, genuinely enthused! actualy pretty cool

Later on the same bike I got pulled over going to a freinds place way OTP, like 25 miles outta town. more rural cop pulled us I was goin 40. He started running some numbers and whatnot and was probably comin to the point of giving us a ticket, but we'd been pulled over on an ant pile and the ants started biting us, he let us go. wild, still sucked tho

got pulled over on an urban express after that for not having blinkers, i tried to explain i didnt need blinkers and used hand signals, however then he wanted my insurance, to which i had to explain i didnt need insurance. Eventually he let me off.

The next one we'd taken another far ride outta town, cop pulled us and gave mark a ticket cuz he had no license. I dunno how that ended. Another time after that steve brown got pulled for being last in the pack to run a stopsign, we figured we'd be best to not go back but wait a little down the road, he got a ticket for that one.

Had a 125 scooter, my friend toly was BLASTING through downtown, like 30mph zone and he was goin probably 60. All of a sudden he blares by, lights go on and cop peels out behind him. we were all thinkin he was fucked but a minute ater he casually cruises back the other direction. score

Not long after, same light same cop pulled us over, impounded that125 scooter that nick was riding because we'd been claiming it was a 50.

Got pulled over a lot by that one cop, officer peck. One time he decided i needed blinkers (again) and i explained that i used hand signals (again) and he insisted I do a full 1 mile loop while he followed closely behind to ensure I was properly using hand signals.

I got pulled when I saw a friend at light in a car opposite me. I goofily waved and a cpe decided i looked drnk, pulled me and gave me a sobriety test which i faileed, couldnt stop laughing, then he gave me a breathalizer and I hadn't been drinkin, he had to lemme go.

Got pulled over for speeding through GA Tech by campus police, they were lookin at my bike pullin all kinda shit like "hoe big is it" me: "50cc" them "well if it's over 49cc it needs a plate" and then looking at the MODEL NUMBER being a c100, decided it must be 100cc. so i showed them the stamped 49cc on the cylinder, eventually thyed had their fun playing with the mouse and let us go.

peck gave me a ticket once because my DOT helmet didnt have a DOT helmet sticker, had to goto court to get it dismissed. and another time he gave me a ticket because I had a refridgerator drawer strapped to the bike as a storage box, which he decided was improperly secured and worth of an $85 ticket.

Worst was a different guy, high up too like a captain, normally didnt do traffic stops but I think I was going too slow and he had a real log up his ass. pulled me over for going 30 on a 30mph road. He had NO clue about the law and made up a rule that you had to be able to go over 35 to be on the road (exactly oposite of the actual moped laws). he decided to impound my bike, but after 45 minutes with the tow trailer still not there he got impatient and let me "walk the bike home" and actually put out an APB to ensure i didnt ride it when i was outta sight. I did wind up riding it to work and on the way 2 cops turned around after me and I dipped through some alleys, I had to call the PD and explain it. fucking nuts.

another time the fuckers pulled a bunch of us, breathalized everyone for the fuck of it. Our friend was a small girl and couldnt blow hard enough for a proper breathalizer, and despite none of us blowing anything they decided that she must be drunk and put her in jail to "sober up" until they could do a blood test, which surprise came back negative but FUCK THE POLICE, they cared zero about the law, only terrorizing some younger city folk. fucking trash human beings. so this girl spends a night in jail, they got a good hardon being toughguys

another time, not pulled over, had a bike stolen. the cops found it same day right around the corner, but instead of telling us, they impounded it, and then after 2 weeks of impound fees notified us that the fees were due, to the tune of $800. And if we didnt pay it we;'d be charged with abandonment of the vehicle. again FUCK THE POLICE> if that's not a racket i dont know what is. in all reality, they found the stolen bike and instead of returning it, THEY STOLE THE BIKE themselves and held it hostage with ADD ON legal bullshit.

then when i first moved to ohio, i got pulled over for not having a plate. in ohio you need one but by reciprocity since i was still legally a GA resident, i could ride my GA bike in OH with GA laws. Cop didnt care, impounded the bike. The ocurts dismissed the ticket but i was still stuck taking a day to go to the impound and recover the bike, and still had to pay the $300 impound fees. Fuck that so hard, those fuckers. Like it SUCKS that the ONLY "GOOD" interactions i've had with police are them not being as bad as the other fucking assholes in the uniform

Tweaker trash /

I got pulled over by a state cop, i was going like 50mph and he was behind me for like a mile and I don’t know the entire time until I look back and the cherries and berries light up. He pulled me over and we talked for like 20min, he did the normal computer routine and told me “we never met” & I had the biggest smile on my face after. I know that cop doesn’t want me to tell the story just because...but I have to say he handled the situation perfectly and gave me a few good life lessons during our talk that I will always remember. He did pull me over! he deserves the credit of being a good cop and doing his job

When I was building motorized bikes I had a vintage cruiser and a built motor (yeah, I know, it's Chinese junk) that would do 55.

Was drafting a box truck down Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa, where the 55fwy ends. Big speed trap, as cars don't like to slow down after being on the freeway. I was in a full tuck about 3 feet off the trucks rear bumper. Probably at 60mph.

Cop pulls out to get the truck, sees me, and stops me instead.

He was pissed, but couldn't figure out how to write up the bike. It was plated and registered, I had a DOT helmet, so he just yelled at me and told me to pedal it home.

I said, "why? It's registered, and legal for me to ride it, so...?"

He just gave up and told me to slow down, and let me motor on my way.

About a month later I was on the same road doing the 45mph limit, and some jackass in a car was right on my ass and honking at me to get off the road.

Same cop comes up outta nowhere, and pulls the dick over. We have each other the thumbs up and I kept riding.

Tweaker trash /

> baird co Wrote:

> When I was building motorized bikes I had a vintage cruiser and a built

> motor (yeah, I know, it's Chinese junk) that would do 55.

>

> Was drafting a box truck down Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa, where the

> 55fwy ends. Big speed trap, as cars don't like to slow down after being

> on the freeway. I was in a full tuck about 3 feet off the trucks rear

> bumper. Probably at 60mph.

>

> Cop pulls out to get the truck, sees me, and stops me instead.

>

> He was pissed, but couldn't figure out how to write up the bike. It was

> plated and registered, I had a DOT helmet, so he just yelled at me and

> told me to pedal it home.

>

> I said, "why? It's registered, and legal for me to ride it, so...?"

>

> He just gave up and told me to slow down, and let me motor on my way.

>

> About a month later I was on the same road doing the 45mph limit, and

> some jackass in a car was right on my ass and honking at me to get off

> the road.

>

> Same cop comes up outta nowhere, and pulls the dick over. We have each

> other the thumbs up and I kept riding.

Yea & same thing here but not at 3feet! your crazy dawg! Call it hard love, He doesn’t want to see you get hurt. Give the car in front of you plenty of room always!

Yeah, I'm smarter than that now. Funny thing was the cop was after the speeding truck and didn see some guy on a weird looking smoky bike flying behind it til he pulled out.

Tweaker trash /

> baird co Wrote:

> Yeah, I'm smarter than that now. Funny thing was the cop was after the

> speeding truck and didn see some guy on a weird looking smoky bike

> flying behind it til he pulled out.

I bet the truck was trying to see how fast you could go lol

i had a 1977 40+ mph maxi in 1979, fast forward 2008 50mph dart, 2017 40mph a55 up to 2020. never been pulled over. once 10 yrs ago about 20 miles from home. it was dark out. i was in a left turn lane when a lady cop from the opposite direction. slowed, pulled beside me, and told me my headlight looked dim. i told her "it's a factory headlight, and it works pretty good for me. then she asked "how many cc's?", "49cc ma'am".....off she went...10's of thousands of miles riding my mopeds, i got nothing to report......

I'm scared to get pulled over speeding. If the cop wanted to be an asshole it'd mean impounding my unregistered uninsured "motorcycle", whatever stack of tickets that entails, plus a ticket for me not having a motorcycle license.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Not speeding but was pulled by sidelooking plate tracker. Right bike wrong plate.by Quakertown police. Backpack overloaded rife with cash and prizes coming from a swapmeetlike Q mart . got pulled after a left at intersection. Young cop 29 tops 5'7 170.

Me 5 11 190lb 52.

Officer: you know why I pulled you over?

Me: well geez now...it could be a myriad of reasons from Not wearing eyewear to a modified moped to using handsignals to being over gvw...do I get to choose?

Officer no sir your plates expired.

Me I just renewed 3...

Him a bata. Vas.

No no no it's supposed to be Tomos.

Cards reg insurance.

All comes back get a warning oh he goes any weapons? No. Oh wait yeah a pair of Sias...but I think thus old time screwjack would hurt a whole Lot more if you got hit by it....uneasy laugh. Ok be safe....

Probably Fred /

I got pulled over several times especially during the 70s free riding era that you didn’t need a plate or nothing and the cops did not know any laws because it really wasn’t any laws almost every time they said well peddled at home so I’d start peddling it in soon as they got out of site I’d pull in the starter clutch and be on my way,

But lately one of the last times I got pulled over on the private road by me doing tuning runs going almost 2x stock moped speeds,

The a cop in a almost unmarked black Suv that pulled me over could not give me a ticket nor should he have pulled me over because I wasn’t drag racing or riding on wrong side of the road (locals have painted 1/4mi marks on the road for late night car drag racing so kind of a cop magnet when 20 to 30 cars are parked on the side the road but during the day there’s none)

So after the usual “it’s a moped going downgrade with tail wind bla bla bla reciting all the Moped laws that are ingrained in my memory to him” he asked me if my estoril pipe was a techogas pipe? I was surprised!

Turns out he and or his 15 year old son had Tomos LX mopeds with a biturbo pipes and we talked about 10 minutes about pipes, jetting/and tuning like what I was doing on the private road, I was surprised how much he knew, pretty sure he knew about moped army and who I was when he pulled me over for its a small world,

I love this thread but don't have anything to contribute because most of my bikes are pretty damn slow, even the faster ones are not very fast. Plus, the cops around here realize they have better things to do than waste time on little bikes.

There's a young crew of mostly mini bikes that bomb through my neighborhood several times daily and those things ain't legal at all so I figure that they'd get harassed before me or my friends would.

Mike Singer /

I love NH, no cops seem to care at all about mopeds. Once at DMV I forgot to get seller to sign the bill of sale, the clerk just told me to go home, have my wife sign it and bring it back in and pay my $3 to register it. Sounds like some places mopeds get a lot of attention by local PDs.

naw, VA decided you're riding a motorcycle instead of speeding. 3 tickets completely negated all the money i saved not driving my car for 6 months.

i was going 40ish in a 45mph zone. moped speed limit is 35mph or less if specified.

Emil Kniemel /

> baird co Wrote:

> When I was building motorized bikes I had a vintage cruiser and a built

> motor (yeah, I know, it's Chinese junk) that would do 55.

>

> Was drafting a box truck down Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa, where the

> 55fwy ends. Big speed trap, as cars don't like to slow down after being

> on the freeway. I was in a full tuck about 3 feet off the trucks rear

> bumper. Probably at 60mph.

>

> Cop pulls out to get the truck, sees me, and stops me instead.

>

> He was pissed, but couldn't figure out how to write up the bike. It was

> plated and registered, I had a DOT helmet, so he just yelled at me and

> told me to pedal it home.

>

> I said, "why? It's registered, and legal for me to ride it, so...?"

>

> He just gave up and told me to slow down, and let me motor on my way.

>

> About a month later I was on the same road doing the 45mph limit, and

> some jackass in a car was right on my ass and honking at me to get off

> the road.

>

> Same cop comes up outta nowhere, and pulls the dick over. We have each

> other the thumbs up and I kept riding.

Hey I know exactly where you're talking about. Cool to see other orange county peepz here.

I had been riding my top tank hobbit for i dunno, maybe 5 years on the same route to commute to work. It does 55 (speed limit is 50) never got hassled or pulled over. It looks homemade, registered as a sears free spirit.

Fast forward I was riding a cleannnn hobbit, all sidecovers, lights, mirrors everything, with a proma that only does 40mph-- a motorcycle cop paces me and says "you know you need an M2 to ride that thing". Yes i know, I only have my class C. I'm wearing a fullface helmet and yell "yes, i've taken my written permit test!" "what?" "ive taken my written test!". he clearly cant hear so he just pulled away.

I did take my permit test but it expired. I don't ride that bike anymore.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account