First moped project

Last night i drunkenly decided to go all out with my first moped. Here i am now so fuck it. Or fuck me. No idea what im doing but this community has been immensly helpful so far.

Anything you wish you knew your first time doing this?

Any and all advise appreciated.

Ill try to post pics here as i go.

Wish me luck!

20200330_190125.jpg

Re: First moped project

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Mopeds are a curse run away....

That being said. Lot of resources in the wiki.

Good luck.

Re: First moped project

I had the same first bike!

At a minimum replace the seals on that motor. It is fairly easy on a ZA.

Re: First moped project

Michael Brown /

Already on it

Re: First moped project

why did u do that for?

Re: First moped project

Michael Brown /

Because its 40 years old and needs work??

Re: First moped project

Usually, getting into the moped hobby LEADS to drinking, not the other way around.

Re: First moped project

I admire your tenacity but feel like you may have jumped in a bit deeper than you needed. Also, I personally wouldn't split those cases unless you are sure you have to. Replacing the seals is one thing but opening that up is not a good time.

Re: First moped project

Wow. What a project! The hardest part is putting it together without scratching it.

Re: First moped project

Michael Brown /

What cases?

Re: First moped project

Hes referring to your motor. The motor splits into two pieces called case halves. Your motor internals such as seals, bearings, crankshaft, gears n such are inside these case halves.

Re: First moped project

Michael Brown /

Shouldnt i do this to replace the shift pucks at the very least??

Re: First moped project

> Michael Brown Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Shouldnt i do this to replace the shift pucks at the very least??

Drunkenly read through the Wiki...it saves lives...mopeds...it saves rat tat machines

Re: First moped project

If you have the patience to read through it all. this site is a very helpful tool if you ignore 70% of it.

Re: First moped project

I'm trying to find a link with a diagram... bear with me.

Re: First moped project

no luck on a diagram. just keep everything in order. you seem to be organized so it will be fine. it is just a moped.

Re: First moped project

> Michael Brown Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Shouldnt i do this to replace the shift pucks at the very least??

Yes, but you don’t split the case halves to do this. Only remove the tranny cover.

Pro tip: Don’t work on a ZA50 drunk.

Make sure you follow the wiki to a ‘T’. There is zero room for error. Make sure you check end float when you’re buttoning it up.

Re: First moped project

A tear down like this is the best way to really learn. Just follow pro advice also use the search. Everything is on here somewhere and if you can't find it ask. don't be afraid to ask everyone on here would be happy to help.

Re: First moped project

I've got one in bits, in a box, that my friend took apart around 7 years ago. I was drunk and didn't pay attention and now it scares the shit outta me just thinking about rebuilding it. The box is downstairs in my garage and it is like that furnace in Home Alone that scares Kevin.

Re: First moped project

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've got one in bits, in a box, that my friend took apart around 7 years

> ago. I was drunk and didn't pay attention and now it scares the shit

> outta me just thinking about rebuilding it. The box is downstairs in my

> garage and it is like that furnace in Home Alone that scares Kevin.

It's just nuts and bolts . ;)

Re: First moped project

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Ryan Graeme Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I've got one in bits, in a box, that my friend took apart around 7

> years

>

> > ago. I was drunk and didn't pay attention and now it scares the shit

>

> > outta me just thinking about rebuilding it. The box is downstairs in

> my

>

> > garage and it is like that furnace in Home Alone that scares Kevin.

>

> It's just nuts and bolts . ;)

It's definitely nuts!

Re: First moped project

Michael Brown /

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Michael Brown Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Shouldnt i do this to replace the shift pucks at the very least??

>

> Yes, but you don’t split the case halves to do this. Only remove the

> tranny cover.

>

> Pro tip: Don’t work on a ZA50 drunk.

>

> Make sure you follow the wiki to a ‘T’. There is zero room for error.

> Make sure you check end float when you’re buttoning it up.

Should i bother with putting a new crankshaft in? Changing seals and bearings?

Re: First moped project

I wouldn’t change crank or bearings, unless you plan on installing a high revving kit. The aftermarket ZA cranks ain’t great. If you’re gonna keep it stock, or just A mild kit, Then leave your stock crank, and don’t bother splitting the cases. Seals, shift dampeners, and clutch work can all be done without splitting the cases, but it’s still pretty damn technical.

Re: First moped project

Dirty30 Dillon /

Changing the crank and seals on a ZA is a fairly involved process, when compared to many other motors. The probability of it coming back together well is low, so I would agree that a mild kit on the stock gear is the best bet.

Re: First moped project

yeah the pucks are pretty easy but you will want to avoid going much deeper than that unless necessicary. za's are really tricky and even the slightest thing being wrong they will eat themselves alive.

if you want to watch a quick video i made showing whats involved in getting at the shift pucks, here ya go

Re: First moped project

Yea unless you want to see the "PUCH" stamped on the clutch cover turn into "OUCH" as the bearing blasts through from the inside like the kool-aid man

Re: First moped project

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yea unless you want to see the "PUCH" stamped on the clutch cover turn

> into "OUCH" as the bearing blasts through from the inside like the

> kool-aid man https://media.giphy.com/media/JqpbEVBmryvN6/giphy.gif

>

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php?1,file=189952

Hahahaha! Good one. So why doesn't it bust out like that? The shimms?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account