Bike dies when riding less than a mile

Harley Martins /

I have a Piaggio zip 4t 2006 starts fine idles ok but when I go out it dies shortly after leaving like it’s not got any fuel it starts back up after about 5 minutes I’ve taken the fuel line off the carb and it’s getting good flow I’m not sure what to do

Re: Bike dies when riding less than a mile

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Bad condenser.

Harley Martins /

Don’t think so it’s got a new one on it

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

When the bike dies, pull the plug and check for spark. If you have spark, it’s gotta be carb related.

You may want to go to a scooter website. This site is for two stroke pedal assisted mopeds. (edited)

probably not a condenser, I doubt a 2006 piaggio scooter has points. More likely carb problem. Take it off and clean it thoroughly.

Probably has a vacuum thingy for the fuel system. That could be malfunctioning

Check your valve clearance...exaust valve.might be the culprit

Pushrod Fifty /

2nd for the vacuum petcock, could be a dried up vac line.

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Check your valve clearance...exaust valve.might be the culprit

generally exhaust valves tighten over time and tightening clearance usually makes it hard to start.

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> > Pops Peds Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Check your valve clearance...exaust valve.might be the culprit

>

> generally exhaust valves tighten over time and tightening clearance

> usually makes it hard to start.

Just fixed one that would start fine,run about 2 min and die...they had been working with carb thinking that to be the problem even buying a new one..by all indications it did seem to be fuel related ...it was the exaust valve..it had just over 500 miles on it ..

no groms no blasters /

ride it for more than a mile, then

Harley Martins /

I’m not sure if it’s the exhaust valve I took a look at them the other day and loosened both inlet and outlet valves so they shouldn’t be to tight .

As the the pipe lines they look in good condition and there is a good flow of fuel coming out of the carb end I’m not sure if there is enough coming through. I would have thought it would last longer at the rate of fuel flow I have.

You say you loosened them ? Did you adjust them to spec clearance?

Harley Martins /

When I adjusted them it was not normal type of tappets where you can slid the feeler gauge in. But if anything they would probably be to lose then tight

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Did you adjust them when they were stone cold?

I have a 90's Piaggio moped that definitely doesn't have points. sounds like a scooter problem.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

We’re not talking about points. We’re referring to the adjustment of his exhaust and intake valves on his four stroke scooter.

Both intake and exhaust valve lash ( clearance ) should be set at .004" ( 0.10mm ) .

If you don't already have it , here's a service manual :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1583036/Piaggio-Zip-50-4t.html#manual (edited)

Not sure if you have electric choke on that model.but it might be your carb is clogged in the idle circuit and you may be running on choke and when it opens completly.up your not getting gas

BS - it has CDI ignition

> Harley Martins Wrote:

> Don’t think so it’s got a new one on it

4 stroke scooter.

Aside from asking on a scooter forum, vacuum auto shut on the petcock or no venting of the fuel tank is what comes to mind.

Pushrod Fifty /

I'm starting to learn alot about scooters.

The electric chokes on most have a plunger with a needle valve ..there is a vain that draws fuel straight from the carb bowl..the plunger has oil thst heats up and moves the needle down in to a seat to shut the fuel off once it is at operating temp which usually takes 3 to 5 minutes to completely close that vein off ..it is then getting fuel thru the idle circuit and jets to run

i strongly suspect it's a leak in the vacuum line between the intake and petcock

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account