Cimatti City Bike rescue

Glad to see some discussion on this topic on these old mopeds. Sweet site!!

I just picked up a Cimatti with same issue, no spark even when I attach coil directly from stator, I’ve just bypassed the whole harness since it’s missing I think some sort of light on top of headlight/speedo housing (blue wire), tail light (blue, grey, orange wires) and I think must have had a keyed ignition that got removed (yellow, grey, black wires) so I’m not sure how those should be wired and just bypassing for now seemed more prudent to get spark.

But even when I connect the the stator (blue ground, red hot) direct to coil, I get no spark. I’ve tried a couple different known working coils and plugs, no change. When I put my multimeter on it, the numbers jump around a lot, so I’m not sure it’s putting out enough juice to even get the coil to work.

I’m a little concerned there’s something wrong with the condenser or maybe somehow one of the windings in the stator are grounded somehow, any suggestions how to test it? I only have a digital multimeter.

B2339D95-9CDF-4157-8241-71ABB71AEB0A.jpeg
CB75813E-089E-43BA-A898-66E11D163F6D.jpeg
22BD8AFE-2820-4F65-8125-F4604AFB711B.jpeg

Re: Cimatti City Bike rescue

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Clean the points with a points file and reset point gap if it’s not to spec.(edited)

You snag that from Maine? Guy offered to meet me halfway but wasn’t so sure on what I was getting into.

Nice to see a thread on here to follow it!

I’ve been sifting through info and can’t find what the gap should be or how to set, where the flywheel should be. It’s been awhile since I’ve worked on anything with points.

Yes I did, when I saw what it was the nostalgia kicked in and, get this.... my wife said ”let’s go for a drive”.

Was that divine intervention or what? I can’t say no to God can I?

The bikes in sad cosmetic condition, mechanically it’s great! Electric is.... interesting.

Check out the wiki. Link is in the menu. Tutorials for everything.

But u adjust them through the window in the flywheel. Check out the wiki for destructions

So I’ve got a brief video on the state of the electrical system, it’s not bad, but I’ve been totally brainwashed by CDI and not sure what is what now. But must be stupid simple. Here’s a brief vid how stupid I am. Any suggestions what to do, I gladly take!

I was starting to look through that, just wasn’t seeing where it lined up. But it’s time for lunch and some reading. Thank you.

> John Painter Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I did, when I saw what it was the nostalgia kicked in and, get

> this.... my wife said ”let’s go for a drive”.

>

> Was that divine intervention or what? I can’t say no to God can I?

>

> The bikes in sad cosmetic condition, mechanically it’s great! Electric

> is.... interesting.

Ha . You did exactly the right thing , for multiple reasons . :)

Robert Linhares /

Call Richard Eberline. He knows everything.

I think the condenser looks OK. As it's reading the resistance it charges the capacitior slowly until it then reads open once fully charged...

> Larry Baltz Wrote:

> I think the condenser looks OK. As it's reading the resistance it

> charges the capacitior slowly until it then reads open once fully

> charged...

Thank you for verifying that.

I put in a new condenser, no difference. No spark even when I wire the coil directly to the stator red and blue wires (bypass the harness), I took the whole stater out and hit every solder point with my solder iron just in case there was a cold solder issue. No spark. I’ve cleaned and set the point gap several times. New plug. No spark.

I did not see anything on the windings that looked problematic worn/grounded.

I’ve got a 6v coil on order as I realized the one on it is probably 12v it clearly does not go with the moped. I did try a chainsaw coil I have. No spark.

Stumped.

I’ve been reading through the wiki, though I do see several people experiencing the same no spark issue, I’m not seeing a resolution. Other than the steps I’ve tried.

I don’t get. There must be something simple I’m overlooking. ☹️☹️☹️

Think of getting spark as one long wire, u want all those darn electron to jump at the plug, get a new one. Ok, with the points open and the blue external ignition wire off the primary coil nothing should be grounded. nothing on the hot side, not sure what secondary coil u have but unground that as well.

proceed to check for continuity, cap to plug wire( has to be stranded copper), cap to pos on coil. hot lead, hot lead to coil, both sides of primary coil, etc, etc. Is everything continous? nothing grounded? if theres a break or somethings grounded then thats the issue, zone in on it. ok.

if the condenser shows continuity from nipple to housing its bad. get a bosch one off a vw and wire externally and a new plug.

Though the coil on this little moped is clearly not stock, it is what came with it and I don’t think the coil is bad.

But still no spark.

Any thoughts?

Robert Linhares /

The thick wire going to the tail light must be grounded.

There are details regarding this in the repair section of this site.

Unique gremlin to the Cimatti.

> Robert Linhares Wrote:

> The thick wire going to the tail light must be grounded.

>

> There are details regarding this in the repair section of this site.

>

> Unique gremlin to the Cimatti.

Wow, gremlins is right!

Anyway, I have no spark bypassing the harness, and directly connecting the red and blue stator wires to the coil. There has to be a short in the stator somewhere that I missed.

In the mean time this is how I have the harness rigged until I can fabricate a little tail light, three wire kill switch and what ever that little light is on top of headlight/speedo housing.

I also noticed something interesting in the wiring. It looks like the tail light is 12v and headlight is 6v? Is this right? I can’t believe this little bastard is giving me this much trouble.

37CD188C-3103-4690-81C8-0843CEDC14FD.jpeg
1F93716F-0301-4A4A-917F-19B9A9E34784.jpeg
A6669F0B-C194-4A91-A851-FD8F2F318473.jpeg

(edited)

The secondary ignition coil under the flywheel might have one wire that travels to the primary coil on the frame. There may be a second wire that comes out of the same coil that must be grounded via the brake light bulb/hand lever switches. If your just looking for spark disconnect this wire as soon as it leaves the stator housing and ground it. Doing this will elimminate all the other faulty wiring on the bike and allow you to JUST TEST for spark by spinning the flywheel.

Use a drill to spin the flywheel when testing for spark.

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> The secondary ignition coil under the flywheel might have one wire that

> travels to the primary coil on the frame. There may be a second wire

> that comes out of the same coil that must be grounded via the brake

> light bulb/hand lever switches. If your just looking for spark

> disconnect this wire as soon as it leaves the stator housing and ground

> it. Doing this will elimminate all the other faulty wiring on the bike

> and allow you to JUST TEST for spark by spinning the flywheel.

>

> Use a drill to spin the flywheel when testing for spark.

>

Very helpful, I believe that is the blue wire on these bikes, but I’ve already tried that. No spark. ☹️

I have bypassed the harness and directly connected the stator to coil still got no spark even off a could different known good coils. I’m pulling the stator again this evening and will test windings. Thank you for confirming this is the correct procedure on these mopedS.

This is the wiring diagram that has me a little confused with both 6v and 12v.

E7E01381-9AFC-47DF-9A59-A814315BBB7F.jpeg

I had to study it a bit but It seem fairly straight. Like every bike each has its own "why did they do that" feature.

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> I had to study it a bit but It seem fairly straight. Like every bike

> each has its own "why did they do that" feature.

To say the least.

Is there some sort of rectifier in the system so the 6v bulbs don’t get blown by 12v system. Or are the 6v bulbs special?

Obviously I’m not that good with electronics, so I think I’m missing or overlooking something.

I will leave the explanation of what’s happening to the electrical engineers, but almost unbelievably to me the new coil worked, immediately. It is an “Emgo 24-71532 Motorcycle Ignition Coil for 6V and 12V Points or CDI” I bolted it up and it sparked.

I need to thank Robert Linhares, Aaron Blair, Emart Mart and others for pointers, thank you.

(edited)

Ok back to square one, I have spark, I have compression and fuel but the old girl will not run

For some reason the rest of that post got chopped off. I have spark, compression and gas. But I still can’t get it to run, I’m suspicious that my timing might be off but I’ve set it several times. Any suggestions for anything I’m missing, would be appreciated.

These are just mopeds right? Not any type of demon or gremlin, right?

Plug wet after trying to start ?

Finally!

It was indeed the timing that caused the starting trouble. Wow! Way more finicky than old Jap dirt bikes.

And here is running.

Now only if I could make the friggin lights work....

Robert Linhares /

John, Congradulations! She sounds happy to be breathing again.

Cimatti 1.jpeg

Seen her on craigslist here in maine for $250.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account