2wd hybrid

Or maybe it's a tribute? Pedals still work too.

20200326_163854.jpg

Re: 2wd hybrid

So, going way back, without detailing it here, I built an electric garelli conversion last year, thread here:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4228129

I built a box for the controller and made removable mounts to bolt into the existing engine mounts, so it was entirely reversible which is exactly what I did, reversed it back to the gas motor once I had all the parts. So then I had this hub motor and the controller battery box sitting around.

It was super simple to remove the garelli motor mount adapter and remount the box to the floorboard of another bike. We had some rando frames at the shop from roffman so I grabbed this xke and got to work.

None of the bits were there, the bars came off a kids 4 wheeler, shocks and forks are tomos, the rear wheel was from my china bike motored rizatto, the seat from a maxi, pipe was a hacked one and the motor from a trac

20200326_163904.jpg

Right now the lights run off a step down from the electric hub

20200301_213919.jpg

This was the rizzatto

20191028_223730.jpg

And the garelli when it was electric vs gas

Apologies for the multiple posts, just doin it in case I crash out, like lol saves

Screenshot_20200328-140357_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20200328-140326_Instagram.jpg

Anyhow the trac came in a wierd set of trades, we ditched a flory in trade for a non running but nice ttlx. The kid had kitted and never jetted so it was seized to hell, he bought a spare motor I guess not realizing there are different brands? So we go the trac and a ttlx that just needed a new topend, score.

Rigged up some mounts and on it went.

Anyway to the point I'm sure you're wondering how it is and meh is the best I can describe it. The hub motor is pretty lame, it's a 36v that claimed 1kw but realistically is only maybe 750 peak, meanwhile the battery that claimed 10mah is probably more like 3 or 4. Buy cheap shit and you get cheap shit.

The wheel bolted in easy to the forks, I made a little tab washer to prevent it from spinning in the dropout but it doesn't need it.

The hub motor gives it a lil oomph off the line letting me get away with very tall gearing but otherwise it's one or the other, they dont really complement each other the two motors.

Only real plus so far is it got me home when the petcock clogged, couldn't fix that without draining the tank so I was glad to have an easier backup than pedaling home.(edited)

That's awesome. What's the range on it?

Barack Obama /

How is it around turns?

Range is like 10 miles on electric, it blows. It could go farther maybe but by 10 it's at like half power rich is already weak.

Around corners its same, one wheel is basically driving always so if there were some difference in speed for one wheel vs the other itd just slow down the one.

I guess that's really only a thing for 2wd bikes where the wheels pull from the same drivetrain and are thus mechanically linked to be going the same rpm. Or like cars or 3 wheelers where around corners the outer wheel is traveling a greater distance arc and needs a diff(edited)

AHA! it DOES work!!

In an attempt to be more quantitative I used an app (Speed Logger Free) which is an android app that can export speed to CSV which you can load in excel and plot speed and accel

Doing so, comparing just electric, just engine and combined engine/electric it's CLEAR who's the winner, it does in fact translate to much better acceleration than either alone, with no effect on top speed since maxxed engine is >> the electric.

COOL!

hybrid XKE.JPG

Overpriced Parts /

That can’t be the Italian concord carcass I had for years and did nothin with it for you built that up in no time.

Pretty damn good work

A 2wd hybrid moped. This is really tight!

This is pretty funny to see. Just this year my students were using Lego robotics to try and build the fastest car they could.

They made some nice designs and geared the motors properly, however, as soon as the wheels touched the ground the motors couldn’t even get the cars going.

My students attempted something sort of like your 2wd. They designed a regular motor to start the robot moving, and then have the other heated motors kick in later.

Sorta almost worked, some issues with Lego motor design but cool nonetheless.

Unfortunately we were cut short this year....

Been giving it some more rides, it really does help, if i drop off the electric (left thumb throttle) and keep on the regular gs throttle I feel it slow down. A few more timed runs it's really like double the acceleration. kinda feels like pedaling to get moving - anyway I hit 20 in like 18 seconds on the gas engine alone, and in under 10s with e-assist.

and roff, I've had this "done" since december but I didnt have forks! that was almost the only hold up for the past 3 months haha. I dont know if we're gonna do much with the other maxi frames but I saw the concord xke right away and fell in love. theyre such a gorgeous frame. thanks again and y'all stay well

How’s braking without the front. Can you add a disc brake.?

I dig this a lot. I have thought about doing this on a Triped microcar for a boost on hills.

no groms no blasters /

lol does it do regen

I did add a disk brake to the front, i'll have to update this later.

it has a very limited what you could i guess call "regen" but it's not got any braking power. THat was originally my plan but i got a cheap as shit controller

anyway, basically the lights all run off the battery, and it's set up now so that if the battery is dead the front hub will power the lights. kinda regen, but not a regen braking. I don't think it tries to back charge when the battery is still charged, maybe it does... i wonder. TBH i dont really understand everything i'm doing here - does spinning the hub over its max RPM while still trying to give it power wind up generating charge and slowing me down or compromising the electronics? Maybe!

So what battery are you using to power the hub motor?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account