1978 tomos ID and some questions

Picked this old tomos up last night on a bit of a whim for a project and for the life of me I can't find the breakdown for older 6 digit Vin numbers. Anyone got a link? Has a the gearing of the 30mph model but wanted to double check the VIN just to be sure.

Now that im tearing into it I'm seeing why it was dirt cheap.

Has a couple minor flaws but the wiring is a freaking disaster. Random wires hanging and just a mess. Long shot, but does anyone know if you can just get a whole new harness or am I going to be redoing it all 1 at a time? Also are these like my garelli where if one thing is out it's going to die? Or will I be able to rig it up a little and still have it run?

IMG_20200321_123333.jpg
IMG_20200321_123342.jpg

Re: 1978 tomos ID and some questions

The VIN on a moped will tell you nothing. (edited)

Hardwire it, from the stator, to head light, to taillight, done.

I would guess its a 1979-1980 silver bullet based on the wheels and decals (although it doesnt appear to have oil injection but that could have been removed. The silver bullet SP was the 30mph version, the Silver bullet GM was the 25mph version, it would have said on the side-covers if they were present. The SP has a 50mm long piston, 26mm exhaust and a 22t rear sprocket. The GM has a 52.5mm long piston, 22mm exhaust and 24t rear sprocket. The three wire (black, yellow, blue) stator has to have the brake circuit (blue wire) connected, or it wont spark. The 17 digit vin started in 1981 on tomos bikes, the 6 digit vin won't give you any info as far as year or, model.

Shit, sorry, I always think everyone's running a cdi. I usually trash OG ignitions.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I think 85 was the year it went 17digit.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think 85 was the year it went 17digit.

It was 1981 , Slew .

Don't know. But yo definitely have the tomos A3 engine with a 10mm wrist pin. If you get a new top end the smaller pin can be troublesome.

I think treatland.tv has some 10mm wristpin kits now tho.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I know other peds went 17 in 85 by law.

My 85 Sachs 6 digit. Tomos 86 17. Bats both before 74 77 6 digit.

Title solution use the 6 then add 11 zeros.

They will not give you anything but basic insurance on a 6 digit. No comp or collision.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account