Compression issues

I recently installed an airsal 70cc kit on my 1978 Sachs Westlake. There is spark and gas. However the motor is only making 50 psi. I have no idea at this point what it could be. Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, the piston is facing towards the exhaust port.

Re: Compression issues

Are you opening the throttle when trying to test it? Make sure the choke is off.

How big did you gap the rings?

If you have no manufacture spec it is 0,004 per 1,00 of bore diameter.

Could the wrong spark plug size cause compression loss? The threads should be 3/4" but the one I have is just over half an inch

Not much difference.

How are you testing 50 psi compression with the spark plug in?

> Noah Bachek Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Could the wrong spark plug size cause compression loss? The threads

> should be 3/4" but the one I have is just over half an inch

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea good question. Check the orings on your tester. (edited)

I checked everything over 3 times and couldn't find a problem. So I did a test on my go kart and I got the same reading. And my go kart definitely has compression so the tester must be broke. I bought a new one and it made a bit over 90psi.

should be a bit higher but could be tester again. maybe some soapy water sprayed around cylinder and look for bubbles when u crank over. did u cap the decomp or...

Yes, the gas does bubble out of it just a bit. So I got some thread lock for but haven't put it on yet.

It'll start and run at 90. Let er wear those rings in and check it again.

Did you have throttle wide open when testing? Also just keep on kicking it. Should have well over 90. That's just enough to run but barely

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

most testers today are china made. I don't trust them

> Noah Bachek Wrote:

> Yes, the gas does bubble out of it just a bit. So I got some thread lock

> for but haven't put it on yet.

Exactly where is the gas bubbling out ?

And , where do you think thread locker is needed ?

I wasn't peddling very hard when testing it. So I'm guessing the compression should be fine since it's a new kit. But the kit came with a new decomp plug and gas bubbles out of it. Thread lock should do the trick since it's only a slight leak.

Even the trusted name brand of testers are manufactured in China - or assembled domestically from parts made in China.

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> most testers today are china made. I don't trust them

Pushrod Fifty /

You should do a leak down test of the engine to reveal the leaks. If you search the site you will find endless posts on how to do it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account