Got a Garelli

Local gentleman messaged me about a 2-speed Garelli deluxe. Apparently, the owner before him daily rode it here in NY. Popped right off, but needs a couple things- starter stays engaged a bit, and need to replace fuel lines/clean carb (Dies after WOT drains carb bowl, then restarts after it refills). Also is missing the stock airbox, need to find one. Came with a ton of spares too- handlebars, headlight, taillight, shocks, forks, wiring harness, factory Garelli panniers, 3 17" spoke wheels, center stand, fuel tank, and 2 running VIP engines (1 with carb, 1 without). Also ended up with a bunch of puch parts from my uncle, which I need to sell.

Re: Got a Garelli

Lots of Garelli owners here. Nice bike!

Justin Petraitis /

Nice bike, saw that on Facebook marketplace for a while, if i was closer to NYC I would've snagged it. Good luck with it!

> Justin Petraitis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice bike, saw that on Facebook marketplace for a while, if i was closer

> to NYC I would've snagged it. Good luck with it!

Thanks! I guess I got it off the guy that got it from NYC- apparently, I paid half what he bought it for. Upon inspection, the oil injector and components are all there and 100% functional. But I will be premixing anyway.

I think that’s a great looking bike.

Quite the score, enjoy!

good find. good find.

The oil injector just shoots a gob of oil in the fuel tank..snot like a tomos or Puch with metered injection.

Very NICE if I must say so myself!

The oil injector was a USA dealer add on for us idiots here in the States that did not carry 2 stroke at every gas station like in Italy. That being said, every Garelli I have ever owned that was so equipped, was immediately removed to restore the clean look.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

That oil injector was a life saver to me back in the late 70’s. Stupid teenagers don’t always remember to carry oil on them. Saved my ass more than once!

Thanks guys! im going to leave the injector on since this one will remain stock- although I will be using premix.

Only runs about 15mph as of now, like I said its missing the arbox. Need to track one down now, hopefully that will heit lp bring it back to 30mph. Also going to clean/replace petcock and the carb. On the upshot, it starts right up! Doesnt seem to shift, so I am wondering if it has detergent oil in the trans. and the front tube has a leak.

On the upshot- zero rust, and it will idle forever. Its on my 2nd floor balcony now so I can clean it up while in quarantine.

Those airboxes are a dime a dozen. Treats carries them

the idiot "oil injector" is probably my favorite moped add-on. best to tear into the tranny and clean all the rubber bits out. those rubber nipples r a pain.

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> Those airboxes are a dime a dozen. Treats carries them

Does it matter which one I get? I see they have like 12 of them (but all labeled front facing)

Do the VIPs have the little nubs? Or just the rubber rings?

> Red Foreman Wrote:

> > Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Those airboxes are a dime a dozen. Treats carries them

>

> Does it matter which one I get? I see they have like 12 of them (but

> all labeled front facing)

>

> Do the VIPs have the little nubs? Or just the rubber rings?

Two rubber rings (1st and 2nd gear clutches) 4 rubber nubs and a starter plate.

I have a 1979 VIP. Hated the transmission. I found a 4 speed manual shift. Other than the hassle of few parts, they are fun t ride.

I got a ssxl I want to get running, but I'm thinking about an engine swap instead versus trying to deal with the noi single speed.

Well, that was an easy repair- Replaced the fuel line, the lawnmower fuel filter wasn't flowing enough for WOT performance. And found 2 air boxes in the parts lot I got with it (one is technically a V1 box). Runs a solid 32mph now, starts with 2-3 kicks.

Now to find out why my Puch wont spark- thinking condenser?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account