Need help

Angela Nicole Gustafson Gustafson /

I'm new to this whole scooter thing. I was gifted it by my father since he got a new one. He had it back before NC started the the insurance and tag requirments. He bought it at a used car place but never went back for the title or bill of sale since he didn't really need it right away and he's moved out of town which is another reason why he gave it to me so he didn't have to haul it. I've located the vin and I can't make out the entire vin completely now for some reason. So I wanna get this thing on the road but I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get the title or bill of sale that ill need to get it registered. What I can do about getting the vin number to add it to my insurance its all there but when I look it up it says it doesn't exist or is invalid so I'm assuming I have something wrong. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Need help

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Is it a scooter or a moped? Post a pic if you’re unsure of the difference between the two types of vehicles. (edited)

first thing that is gonna help you- pre 1982 vin numbers were just a mishmosh then after 1982 they standardized 14 digits. just put 0's in front of the Vin number you have until it makes it 14.

like '7356283' becomes '00000007356283' then most governments/insurance companies will deal with you.

First off- a scooter is entirely different from a moped. You’re on Moped Army...

Sounds kinda sketchy that you can’t make out the vin number and your dad never got any proof of sale or title; the state of North Carolina and also your insurance company are going to assume it is stolen unless you can prove otherwise to the NCDMV License & Theft inspector.

Even with a weird/old vin number you should still be able to get it insured. You’re going to have to get a notarized bill of sale from your dad to you and take that with the NCDMV MVR-58 form to the NC License plate office.

The probable-scooter anticipation is killing me

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> first thing that is gonna help you- pre 1982 vin numbers were just a

> mishmosh then after 1982 they standardized 14 digits. just put 0's in

> front of the Vin number you have until it makes it 14.

>

> like '7356283' becomes '00000007356283' then most governments/insurance

> companies will deal with you.

Graham ,

It's 17 digits for the VIN .

And , It was 1981 when that 17 digit standardized VIN came into play . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account