Re: Quarantine Dayz

Thanks for the info Brian, there was a good layer of rusty grime so I didn’t notice there was a lip before I put it on the press and hoped for the best. Whoopsie daisy! Just gonna loctite the bearing in and hope for the best at this point.

I got thrown back in at work full time as the only employee doing Basically everything since I’ve worked p much every job in the office over the last 8 years...not that I’m complaining, lucky to still have a job at this point, but hopefully I get some downtime to get this dang silly solex cruisin’!

> Chris Squid Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the info Brian, there was a good layer of rusty grime so I

> didn’t notice there was a lip before I put it on the press and hoped for

> the best. Whoopsie daisy! Just gonna loctite the bearing in and hope for

> the best at this point.

>

> I got thrown back in at work full time as the only employee doing

> Basically everything since I’ve worked p much every job in the office

> over the last 8 years...not that I’m complaining, lucky to still have a

> job at this point, but hopefully I get some downtime to get this dang

> silly solex cruisin’!

Give a push-and-pull on the flywheel from time to time. If it moves even a tiny bit, the bearing has come loose.

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> Well it popped off with a blast of the spray. So either it is a dirty

> carb or the fuel pump is still clogged after a cleaning a new diaphragm.

> Tomorrow is another day! I have never spent so much time on a bike

> that is completely stock.

DO NOT use starter spray. It has no lubrication, and burns extremely hot. It will cause napalm-like explosions inside the crankcase and cylinder that will melt the piston and destroy the bearings.

Nice timing light setup, though.

I'll email you my "Fuel System Checks" WORD docx article, which should help you properly diagnose your fuel problem.

Thanks Brian!

Forever and always WD-40 as a starting agent for 2-strokes!

Cleaned the fuel system, carb and followed Brian’s advice. I did lose the top check ball so I grabbed one out of another fuel pump. And bam! Fired right up. Ran well until it died half way around the block. :/ Let it sit for a sec and it fired right back up. I wonder if there was still some residue in the fuel lines or something. Oh well! At least it runs and the throttle functions correctly! Thanks DOS cycles for finding the carburetor return spring for me! Kinda stoked.

Now I have to get Stephen to go in his shed and find the front fender and rear fender supports. Only parts it is missing.

Nice. I got my bearings and seal in and the crank bearing feels good and snug with a little green loctite around the edges. Fingers crossed. Need to hit the press at the shop again to get the crank the last little bit slipped in and snug. Then time to organize all the nuts and bolts and get this thing back together!

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> Cleaned the fuel system, carb and followed Brian’s advice. I did lose

> the top check ball so I grabbed one out of another fuel pump. And bam!

> Fired right up. Ran well until it died half way around the block. :/

> Let it sit for a sec and it fired right back up. I wonder if there was

> still some residue in the fuel lines or something. Oh well! At least it

> runs and the throttle functions correctly! Thanks DOS cycles for

> finding the carburetor return spring for me! Kinda stoked.

>

> Now I have to get Stephen to go in his shed and find the front fender

> and rear fender supports. Only parts it is missing.

Excellent!

It's very common for the fuel jet to get some dirt or debris caught in it.

It's only a 28 cc opening!

Some of the original tool kits came with a small adapter fitting for cleaning the jet. You screwed the fuel jet into one end, and the tire air pump to the other end...several pumps of the air pump, and the jet was cleared.

See Fig. 10

Notice-Solex-45-12-9.jpg

Oh wow! I have an original pump. I need to looks at that!

Not a solex but here is my quarantine project. I've had this bike for over 10 years and haven't touched it, nice to have some time to get it going. I'm in desperate need of a headlight ring though, hopefully one will turn up.

IMG_20200331_165242541.jpg

Is that an early 60's motobecane.mobilete (not sure of spelling...i have been lookin at a 61 that is taken apart and in a box...i love projects like that but not knowing anything about those i am not sure i want to mess with it ..

Cristian Luna /

Yessss Nate !!

Angry Hipster /
20200331_180353.jpg

I pulled this one out today. Bypassed the rusty old fuel tank and it fired up and runs amazingly well!

The V1L is so torquey and smooth!! I'm convinced this is one of the best step through mopeds ever made.(edited)

It's a 58 I believe, at least that is the date on the carburetor. It's not much different than a 70s motobecane, it's not going to be tough to get it going but it will take me a bit to get it to look right. I don't want to restore it, just clean it up and keep it original.

The one i am having a hard time not buying is a part ...frame and wheels are together ..the rest is in a box with the motor torn down also..i have a few i bought in boxs but just can't kick myself hard enough to get it

What did you win the trophies for?

2009-2010 polini cup. Won by Tommy, Dean, Tony and Jimmy. The early days of the Motomatic race team.

Hell yeah Nate!!!!! Love seeing that on your bench. :)

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Nate did you get that bike from Bret Hoffman?

No, my friend Steve bought it here in sac. It has all of the side covers and legshields. How long ago did Bret have his, was it running?

I love those old Mobys. Pretty cool you have all the pets for it!

I love it too, it has so much style. Just need to figure something out for the seat and headlight.

Crazy Charlie has the same one in orange idk what he did for his seat.

I’m going to ask.

That would be great thanks. I'm thinking I will redo it myself but I don't want the cover to be new, it needs to match the look of the bike.

> Nathan Kiehn Wrote:

> That would be great thanks. I'm thinking I will redo it myself but I

> don't want the cover to be new, it needs to match the look of the bike.

You might consider distressed vinyl for that seat :

Here's just one 'color' :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAJRUVD/

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I think Bret still has his then

its same color, I brought it down from either a Seattle or a Portland rally hellllla days ago

Thanks, I'll check out that vinyl.

I hope all of you are building your Bakers Dozen bikes now.

tt boyz

Finally made decent progress tonight! Engine back together mostly, this weekend I’m hoping for a first start for this old thang.

5586E9D9-47D5-4D5A-B8DF-D73F94052129.jpeg

(edited)

^ Hope it fires up, love a Solex! :) Fingers crossed for ya!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account