Introduction

Hi everyone,

I decided to start a puch project again after 20 years. After some research, I found this is the place to be for info and other stuff. I'll likely be asking many questions, but also able to help with ideas/tips/tricks where ever I can.

But first an introduction. I grew up in The Netherlands liking motorcycles and got my Puch Maxi when I turned 16 (since you can't ride motorcycles until you're 18). Inspired by racing, I read up more an more on the classic 50cc Grand Prix class and decided to make a race style puch and try to make it go as fast as possible on a 50cc.

I came up with this:

Quick summary:

- Kreidler 50cc cilynder tuned

- Homoet 6p for Kreidler

- Reed inlet on the engine

- PVL ignition

- Old bing carburetor with a rotatable side float

It unfortunately didn't run properly and I sold it before I was able to get it working properly. It did however run at about 13,000 rpm once up to speed. Can't remember the sprocket sizes though so I'm not able to get a top speed.

To this day I still like the build, even though it is a bit of a Frankenstein. Now 20 years later, and living in Houston Texas, I want to do a better job. I've created a parts list which I will be asking questions about in the future. But first I need to find an e50 engine and a Maxi N frame. If anyone has one, or knows where I can get one, let me know!

I look forward to talking to you all!

Re: Introduction

That’s a pretty awesome build you did!

todd amundson /

You sold this!? You’re supposed to keep these.

thats a cool bike! how long was the track?

Pushrod Fifty /

You did an awesome job on it. Did you get a top speed? Not many Ns around, I sure would like one., or a Moby hardtail.

Glad you are here!

SEAN BILLINGY /

I know, stupid right?!

SEAN BILLINGY /

> Dickie Thompson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> thats a cool bike! how long was the track?

It was very very very long. There was something also wrong with the timing that caused it to take forever to get to speed.

Probably Fred /

Maxi frame is meh, if you’re going to race a tube frame is best (edited)

SEAN BILLINGY /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> You did an awesome job on it. Did you get a top speed? Not many Ns

> around, I sure would like one., or a Moby hardtail.

I don't think I ever reached its top speed. I could not find a long enough straight. I only remember the max rev's I reached.

SEAN BILLINGY /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Maxi entry level non-suspension frame is just plain dumb, if you’re

> going to race you need to have suspension!

No plans to actually race. It's more about the process than actually riding. Looks are also a huge factor. That's why I'm going for the N.

With that kind of setup you could have easily competed in the SOBW races here in the Netherlands. The Bike itself also looks kinda familiar, but then again all race maxi's look alike. Where did you live in the Netherlands?

Very cool! As I'm sure you'll hear, n frames are somewhat rare and desirable in the u.s., but they are pretty cheap to ship so that opens up possibilities. This forum used to be more active but with the advent of Facebook it has died down, still the best info is found in here but for something like trying to buy a rare frame from a national audience, try posted to lovers of puch FB group, then come back here and start a build thread!

Also, if nobody has told you yet, Texas has the worst more laws in the US, you need a motorcycle license, registration, license plate, and insurance. The good news is that after doing all that you can ride as fast as you possibly want. I rode past cops all the time doing 60 plus and they never flinched. I think since they don't have a moped designation, cops don't really care, and you pretty much have to go 60 to ride anywhere safely in Texas. If you want to build something wild, go balls out!

The engine on that thing sparks joy.

SEAN BILLINGY /

Bas, I lived in Dordrecht. I didn't ride around on it alot as 90% of the time it was taken apart and being worked on.

SEAN BILLINGY /

Awesome, thanks for all the info!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account