Moby rear rim

I have a 1979 motobecane mobylette 50v and I’m looking for a nice rear rim. My front is new and my rear is in ruff shape. I don’t need the brake assembly.

Thanks Brian

0F401301-10C0-4C2B-9FDA-FF4DDD7969F5.jpeg

Re: Moby rear rim

Pushrod Fifty /

Look on ebay for a complete wheel or buy a rim and relace.

Brian Terrell /

Been looking but no luck for a nice one. I never spoked a rim.

Those rims are really strong, put about 3hrs of manual labor into it and use it. Remove the drive gear and the pedal drive freewheel. Tape over the sealed bearings as best you can to minimize cleaner(s), water intrusion. Start by cleaning the whole wheel, spokes, hub rim with a good degreaser and a few brushes, hit stubborn areas with x-fine steel wool , dry completely, and see what you have.

With a wire wheel on a bench grinder (absolutely wear a full face shield ) and get the rusted portions wire-ground to about as close to even with (what's left of) the plating as you can. Wipe the whole rim down with acetone. Get a can of VHT clear spray paint and lay a few coats down on the rim. allow to dry for 24hrs. Prepare your oven to accept the wheel before turning it on, do not allow the wheel to contact the heating coils! Bake at 200deg for at least an hour, allow to cool and use it. You'll be surprised how well it'll turn out.

mobybluecheap4thumbnail.jpg
mobybluecheap10thumbnail.jpg

Brian Terrell /

Another pic

02A293A4-3A07-4602-B043-91D31E06675E.png

Bruce Zapper /
IMG_5712.JPG

I hope this makes you feel better about your wheel!

You might not believe it, but no worse than what I started with in the pics above. It won't shine like good chrome, but will look okay, and will save you a few $$s until you find something better.

If you haven't laced a wheel before, it's a lot easier. How good is the front?

Brian Terrell /

Front is new. Just got my treatland’s order in and got some nice white wall tires for the old school look so I’m holding off putting them on till I figure this out. I’m having Stephen Simmons ( moped army guy ) build me a nice motor for it as well. Tore it down to clean and polish and have all new decals as well.

E260EB19-B76D-4E26-9388-B84B5614C562.jpeg

Pushrod Fifty /

If its solid then go for cleaning and even painting. It looked a little crusty in some spots, check it real good by poking and scraping.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account