MLM Cafe racer seat.

I am looking for suggestions on how to make a MLM metal cafe racer seat comfy and water resistant. Pictures of customized seats would be nice. Ty

KIMG0191.JPG

Re: MLM Cafe racer seat.

Pushrod Fifty /

Fiberglass cowl with 1/2" ply cushion base. The base was epoxied together to form the angled back. Flanged nuts with barbs pressed into the base, the base is bolted to the cowl from the bottom. Base is padded with white packing foam, contact cemented together, cemented to the base. Marine vinyl stapled to the base.

20200225_071944.jpg

Emil Kniemel /

The best one I've seen they covered the whole pan with vinyl vs just doing the seating area. Not my bike:

edit: link to garage: http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/RED+ROCKIT (edited)

The seat pan I had was in horrible shape!!

Cleaned it up real good, layered foam and shaped it, added waterproof vinyl, adhered with spray glue. And then changed my mind on the material and shape and redid it...the second time I used spray glue and then material glue sticks and glue gun around the edges....worked out pretty nice!

20200305_105507.jpg
20200305_105752.jpg
20200305_110003.jpg

My seat before..lol

20200220_125420.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Came out pretty good. I needed to raise mine up to clear the wiring and intake, and get the seat a little higher than the frame. I had a few gallons of leftover glass resin and mat from my boat projects so I made the cowl.

I got one of these for my cb125s and it fit perfect. Be nice on a mag.

Screenshot_20200305-140918_Samsung Internet.jpg

On my cb125

20190627_193205.jpg

I have the one of the right second row, It just didnt fit the flow of my bike. I wanted to OG seat and trunk or I may have stuck with that guy

i got one of those cheap-as-shit amazon seats recently, it's not super comfy but hell it's very cheap. too wide for most mopeds but could work on a magnum. The MLM seat tho, - we got a general tanked magnum with that seat just arrived in the shop last weekend. Seats like a loosely wrapped glob of foam, it's pretty bad...

clint did this years ago, similar metal frame seat and thin dense foam, vinyl riveted tight over it. it was not comfy but looked good

In the past I've used closed cell neoprene scraps from ebay. you can get scraps from like the ends of rolls and stuff super cheap and still plenty enough for a seat. Also available in self-adhesive.

the nice things about closed cell neoprene 1) it's pretty dense so a thin cushion is still comfy 2) it's closed cell so you dont need a cover - it's black and looks pretty good without a cover, and closed cell wont soak up water. and 3) self-adhesive you can just lay a layer or a few stuck right onto the seat, shape it as you want and be good to go in like 15 minutes

I’ve been using 1/2” thick yoga mat for seat padding. I use hot glue to glue the layers together to make it as thick as you want. Then glue that to a thin piece of plywood and wrap it with whatever fabric you want. I used nutserts in the plywood to bolt the seat to the frame. Here’s the seat i did that way on my kinetic, you could probably use the same method for the seat pan.

DF84D180-5F1D-4F3C-876B-03C64FBC67FB.jpeg

carpet foam and 3m spray adhesive. carpet foam seems kinda hard at first but 3-5 layers and that shit is perfect. softer foam you just sink in and it ends up being not comfy.

i cut them out close, then laminate a bunch of them up, then shape them with an angle grinder flap wheel.

if you want to get nice clean edges around the corners you gotta double stitch the seams, its not that hard and it makes a huge difference

there are a bunch of good youtube tutorials, there is one with this old guy at a legit upholstry shop and he kicks all of the ass.

or

call up Maize and have him do it for ya, he's got good materials and a real upholstry machine (walking foot) and does really good work for pretty good prices. I never found anyone in the milwaukee area to do seat covers for me so i just learned how to make my own.

Pushrod Fifty /

I saw the ebay seats and wondered how good they were. I picked up a like new crotch rocket seat for a project bike instead for almost nothing. There are a lot of them on ebay because people swap for Corbins.

carpet foam you can get scraps for almost free, most any carpet place will have corners and whatever that get cut out, ends of rolls for basically pennies. If you want a proper lookin seat it's a great option, or for thinner & not needing a cover, still big fan of neoprene

You could send it to me. I could make a killer seat for that bike

Yeah I need to figure out how to get something on mine too. I'm thinking like black dense adhesive backed foam I can stick on there. I really don't want it poofy and upholstered. I think polini sells it for thier seats. Overall I like the mlm pan it made things easier I just had to weld my own mounts so it sits much lower.

IMG_20200211_100750.jpg

> - Joe - Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’ve been using 1/2” thick yoga mat for seat padding. I use hot glue to

> glue the layers together to make it as thick as you want. Then glue that

> to a thin piece of plywood and wrap it with whatever fabric you want. I

> used nutserts in the plywood to bolt the seat to the frame. Here’s the

> seat i did that way on my kinetic, you could probably use the same

> method for the seat pan.

Yoga mat and spray all the way!

Emil Kniemel /

> Dan Hetu Wrote:

> You could send it to me. I could make a killer seat for that bike

Honestly if u created some standard covering w/ padding for this seat pan they would sell like hot cakes. The reason i never bought one because i didnt want to put in the work to get something custom done.

paint it and grow a stronger ass.

> mit mortso Wrote:

> paint it and grow a stronger ass.

Maybe you mean 'fatter' ? to provide adequate cushion ? LOL

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account