New Project - '59 Mobylette AV75

John Leatherman /

New to the forum. This is technically my first moped, though not my first antique motorcycle or scooter. Popped up local to me a few days ago, and although I feel I may have overpaid a little I had to bring it home. Very original (and more than a little crusty) '59 Mobylette AV75. In spite of the patina all the sheetmetal is very solid, the tank is clean as far as I can see down in it, and the engine turns over smoothly and seems to have reasonable compression.

Being new to these machines I will have many questions. What I'm in need of first and foremost are:

Carb gaskets

Info on purchasing the correct drive belt and chains

Info on replacing the crank seals/bearings (seals for sure, bearings as a preventative measure)

A replacement taillight lens and replacement handlebar levers (used and suitably crusty)

Looking forward to getting this old girl back on the road.

IMG_20200227_173758538.jpg
IMG_20200227_173815672_MP.jpg
IMG_20200227_173825154.jpg

Re: New Project - '59 Mobylette AV75

John Leatherman /
IMG_20200227_173955869.jpg
IMG_20200227_174008452.jpg
IMG_20200227_174020234.jpg

John Leatherman /

Last few pictures of the as-found condition.

IMG_20200227_174027289.jpg
IMG_20200227_174103565.jpg

Jeremy Homser /

Wow that tank is surprisingly clean

As you can see on the engine tag, you have a Motoconfort AU75, not a motobecane; this means at some point in its French life, it was imported here.

I think that was 500 bucks well spent . ;)

As mentioned in the other thread, id of went to look at it. These are not common and if you want to be taken seriously, you need to make any offers in person.

Fucking beautiful

Please don't paint it and leave the patina.

Btw.....Leatherman is not a common name. There are a handful in Indiana.

Beautiful bike. Hope you don't paint it. But its yours to do as you please.

I started a project much like yours about a month ago. Mine is a Wards Riverside manufactured by Motobecane. It is a 1957-58 in about the same rusty/crusty condition. My first moped but not the first vintage cycle, like you.

Shaun Strahm at Myron's Mopeds has been very helpful. I am replacing all rubber, cables, and going through all the mechanicals. The engine was borderline and I decided to go ahead and rebuild to be on the safe side. Myron's, Treatland and Classic Moped Spares in the UK have been good sources for me. I'm guessing replacing your tail light lens will be a challenge. Good luck and feel free to message me with questions.

Riverside Moped.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

This particular bike more than likely started off in England, given that the reg tag hold was of English make and never used.

There are ways to mold a lens if you know the right guy. Message me and I’ll ask the guy I know

Okay, so thumbs up on the patina for truly unique and probably rare old mopeds. What does the crew say about my recently purchased ‘79 Motron Classic, original paint is the “UPS” shit brown metallic with gold decals. The paint looks pretty badly oxidized and has some spots of surface rust. Touch up the bad spots if I can match the color? Kill rust and leave it blotchy? I can work around the original decals. It’s kind of ugly, sort of a look only an enthusiast can love, in my opinion

6518AF0C-D320-4814-9053-D46D082A85E5.jpeg

Use polishing compound to remove the oxidation and polish..it is hard to find in some places but i use TR 3 resin glaze

Off to look for buffing and polishing attachments for Dremel and cordless drill. Regular sized wheels are too big for this job...(any suggestions?)

I am old fashioned and hand polish and wax

Scratch Out ( Formula 1 / Kit ) does a pretty good job .

On bikes I use clr and a fine scotch-brite pad, then wash with soapy water and wax with paste wax or coat with boiled linseed oil.

Whatever you do, try it in a small out of sight area first to see how it looks. Also, if you use boiled linseed oil be careful what you do with the rags, since they can catch fire.

The headlight and taillight bulbs are 6 volts and are available at some hardware stores but if you can’t find them a 12 volt bulb is suitable just try and match the wattage. So 6 volt 1 amp would be 12 volt 1/2 amp for same light output and 12 volt bulbs have a bigger filament and last longer if you go that route!

John Leatherman /

You'd think that being stuck at home I'd have extra time for projects, but apparently that's not the case. I've recently started working on my AV75 again and I have a question for you. Attached are pics of the pedal selector in the two positions. I believe I understand how it should operate, but I don't think it's working properly. In the one position the spring pulls the arm down onto the second sprocket. This would be the "bicycle only" operation like if you were out of gas, right? The thing is that in the other position (where the arm is away from the gear, photo) the pedals still will not rotate free of the large pulley/engine. As I understand it in this position I should be able to pedal with the engine turning or not, and the engine will become engaged at a certain speed? It seems to me that with my pedals stuck to the large pulley that if I were to start the engine it would smack me with the pedals. There's a little play between the pedals and large pulley, but seems something is gummed up. Is there supposed to be some sort of one-way sprag or should the pedals simply spin freely in the "unlocked" position? Any idea what may be stuck?

Pedals Locked.jpg
Pedals Unlocked.jpg

The WORST design flaw on Moby's, the dreaded engine/pedal switch. It is probably rusted up inside....I had to replace mine. Might be able to soak it in something, I didn't bother, but if you replace it make sure you get the right sprocket on there, I don't think I did and my bike was kind of a dog after. :) Someone who knows more will prob chime in, maybe it is fixable.

Blast it with liquid wrench first and get it loosened up so it engages/disengages properly. They rarely fail if properly engaged, you just have to make sure it COMPLETELY engages. With it disengaged, the sprocket will turn freely independent of the pulley.

No one in their right mind has ever pedalled a Moby more than 1/2 a kilometer. The gearing on the pedal side gearing is only intended to start the engine AND be in compliance to regulations to be able to move the bike so it is a pedal assisted bicycle.

Everyone is curious to the switch, tries it, discovers how useless it is. Sometimes can not get it to latch back into useful mode (usually when lots of folks are watching so they can be embarrassed - or when they are all alone and need to call help).

Action of the switch in V (velo in frenchie)

PulleyVelo.JPG

Action of the switch in M (moteur in frenchie)

PuleyMoteur.JPG

How to use a ziptie or lock wire to make sure the spring does not fail and the pulley will no longer drive the rear wheel but will produce the sound of the lever ratcheting uselessly and you get to do the walk of shame and push the bike as you realize that the pedal gearing makes it slower and more effort than walk and push (or resort to the Fred Flintstone method)

PuleyMoteurTyWrap.jpg

John Leatherman /

Lol, thanks for the tips guys. I understand now how it's supposed to work. I think I was confused because mine appeared to be attached to the countershaft, but really it's just stuck. I got the pedals off and the countershaft/pulley off and apart. I freed up and re-packed the needle bearings but they still feel notchy and I think they're going to need to be replaced. Anyone know where I can get a set (I have a call into Myron's) and if there's a trick to removing them? Is it a single bearing with two rows of needles or is it two separate bearings?

It's 2 seperate sets (unlike the dimoby/variator bearings).

Driven poulie bearings are 16x22x12 so you need 2 each of trade number HK1612 from any bearing house.

this thing is amazing! If I ever get a moby again I've always wanted it to be a rusty super old one!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account