Necessary hardware is a must, let's see the stash!

I was curious how everybody else keeps their hardware and how handy having a stash really is...

Working in the Union as an electrician under the local 26 has lots of perks

IMG_20200224_020221.jpg
IMG_20200224_020256.jpg
IMG_20200224_020229.jpg

Re: Necessary hardware is a must, let's see the stash!

Ha . you have a pretty good assortment .

I have a similar mess , but , I organize mine a bit more than you , maybe .

And , I don't have room for as much as you .

My wife is always questioning my trips to the hardware . LOL

I always put bolts in an empty coffee jar ,then put the jar in the box with spare parts ..then i put the box of parts in the shed i stack them up so if i need a bolt it's easier to go buy one rather than unpile and hun it up ...i guess i'll never learn

I keep random little sacks in nooks and crannies, all missing 1 or 2, cant find em so i just go buy more.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The lack of organization in those drawers is stress-inducing.

I used to have a home depot bucket full of nuts, bolts, screws, and other random things. I have no idea where it went, lost a lot of shit moving around.

Yeah, my stash is small, organized, and mostly metric. I don’t always have what I need on hand, but when I do, it’s not cheap, SAE hardware store stuff.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I work right across the street from a Tanner Fasteners, we give them our broken wooden pallets to get rid of. I've always noticed that by the loading dock just inside steel gate, they have a few 5 gal. buckets of assorted hardware like nuts and bolts and washers. I asked about it and they said that they're an accumulation of loose bits they collect from warehouse mishaps, like spills, ripped boxes etc. Hopefully they'll sell me some cheap haha

i like moped hardware, and having it and not going to buy it new, something about it being old, taken off saved and put back on. Fits just like its suppose to.

1582907041746-2025044631.jpg

Every time I clean my shop slash she shed

IMG_20200223_233128.jpg
IMG_20200218_225112.jpg
IMG_20200223_233607.jpg

i work on shit til every tool and piece of hardware is scattered everywhere, then i organize them into piles, then i sort them back into their proper places organized by size and type, then repeat.

I often think of the Scene in the beginning of Amelie, introducing her parents:

her father "Raphaël Poulain likes to tear big pieces of wallpaper off the walls, to line up his shoes and polish them with great care, to empty his toolbox, clean it thoroughly, and, finally, put everything away carefully."

and her mother "She likes the outfits of the ice-skaters on TV,to shine the flooring, to empty her handbag, clean it thoroughly, and, finally, putting everything away carefully.

it was such a perfect illustration of two very different people sharing very differnt interests in a very similar way, showcasing for all of our differences the weird idiosyncrasies that we still share. It's a beautiful simple elegant little detail and instantly, instantly endearing and identifiable.

Probably Fred /

I posted this on the wrong thread haha, but got several coffee cans and boxes of mostly puch but some Tomos and Italian fasteners from several dozen bikes that were rusted or scrap frames, I have most of my parts and engine parts in bins but if there’s something I can’t find in a bin I dump a few Coffee cans out,

6535C046-C10D-4D6F-8299-9226FFEA773E.jpeg
5A02A89E-4C49-49A2-8309-0D45C90C16B3.jpeg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I probably have a few hundred pounds of moped nuts, bolts, hardware, etc. stored in those big plastic cat litter containers. It’s all going to a scrapper when I clean out my garage in preparation for my move to VA this spring. (edited)

Hey man I know you've been doing this a long time...

Way longer than I ever have and it feels kind of cool knowing that we're the same way because scattering it out and working it until the problem or the project is done and then reorganizing it I feel like I don't lose it...

It also keeps me motivated to get the project done because I can't clean up until it's taken care of.... That's awesome!!

I thought maybe I was doing it wrong... But for some reason I can never find my 10 mm socket and I have plenty of them... I buy most of my stuff at yard sales anyways... Last year I went to a mechanic's yard sale and bought all his coffee cans he had filled with small very small lock washers quarter inch screws spacers pretty much his whole stash from working on transmissions... And recently opened a couple of boxes I forgot about and they were full of crimps for the ends of wires... I was like yessss... I hate buying crimpers because I'm always cutting them out and redoing them... I've recently started adding tiny terminal blocks to my bikes... Kind of like puch did but mine are a little different

15829260022324754159491935091941.jpg
15829261391622422893273985516247.jpg

Oh I'm sure you can find somebody that would buy all that...

I don't want to hear it just throwing money down the drain...believe me I would dig through a dumpster if I knew that there was a bunch of moped hardware containers of it scattered everywhere...

> J Dubbs Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Every time I clean my shop slash she shed

Hey you need any parts for that Garelli SSXL?

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> I probably have a few hundred pounds of moped nuts, bolts, hardware,

> etc. stored in those big plastic cat litter containers. It’s all going

> to a scrapper when I clean out my garage in preparation for my move to

> VA this spring.

I’d gladly pay for shipping of a large flat rate box of moped hardware, plus some for your trouble. I hate to see good stuff thrown out.

> VA this spring.

There are enough of you guys near MopedLar to pick up those bins of hardware before he has to dump them. Don't let good hardware and bolts go to waste.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Anyone can come to my house in NJ and take what they want. I need it all gone before I move.

> Anyone can come to my house in NJ and take what they want. I need it all

> gone before I move.

On my way now

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> The lack of organization in those drawers is stress-inducing.

And yet it reminds me of the world around us.

> VA this spring.

Haha this is so real. And ken's.

Like veer ry literally our shop is full of the cat litter buckets and chock full o nuts coffee cans packed up with parts and hardware haha. I still keep my hardware pretty organized as like the finish after completing a project, the cleanup

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I haven’t gone into my cat litter “buckets o parts” in years. I’m sure there is a lot of good stuff in there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account