1957 Riverside - Clearcoat or Not ?

I started a thread about two weeks ago when I purchased my first moped. It is very rusted, but solid. The chrome must have been poor quality because it just fell off the carrier and rims. The moped seems to be completely original.

I plan to not repaint or rechrome anything. All the rubber parts, electrical and mechanical issues will be addressed.

I was thinking after I get all the grease and crud off I would clearcoat everything. Not sure if I could go with flat or satin. In my other thread I received comments that I shouldn't clearcoat. I'm interested what other people would do and reason for your choice.

Riverside Moped.jpg

Re: 1957 Riverside - Clearcoat or Not ?

Clear coat makes a nice patina look like crap. I have an old Wards Riverside in similar condition. I will be applying a linseed oil finish, to preserve and enhance the patina while preventing more rust from starting.

Pushrod Fifty /

If you touch it up and clear coat it satin it will look awesome.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Linseed oil, or wax. Or both! You'll have to re-apply and maintain the finish every so often, but it will look much more natural and organic to the bike.

The paint may benefit from a light polish before you wax or oil it, just to bring back the shine by getting rid of the oxidized layer. Be cautious though and do it by hand, an electric polisher might be too aggressive.

I made those comments in your other posts.

Here's my reasons.

I've restored a lot of vintage bicycles. Clear coating over an original paint bike with a nice rusty patina lowers the value.

If you use gloss, it looks like crap. It gives it a shiny lacquered look over rust, chips, and missing paint, brightens up the old paint to an unnatural state, and ends up looking like a "faux-tina" paint job.

Matte clear looks a little better, but still messes it up. You almost always have noticeable bubbles, drips, etc.

It's only original once. It earned that patina, and clear coating it ruins it.

It's not that hard to clean and revive the original paint. You have to clean it anyway to paint it, so you're almost there to save the original paint.

Your bike is a classic. It's not a dime a dozen 70's Puch. Keep it that way.

Clear coating it is mostly just going to protect it from more rust. But if you're taking care of the bike and not just leaving it outside to rot, it's not going to rust anymore anyway.

That's all just my opinion. I've seen a lot of old bikes, motorcycles, and cars that have been clear coated, and they always looked better to me before.

Bottom line, is it's your bike, you can do what you want.

Another thing.

Clear coats like Rust-Oleum and krylon aren't fuel compatible.

Anywhere you spill fuel, oil, carb cleaner, etc, the clear can soften up, and then it looks like a mess after the dirt and oil soak into it.

You could try Penetrol, people use it on VW Westfalia tops, fiberglass and painted metal furniture, as well as patina vehicles. You can find photos and videos if you search. A friend used Pledge on his 1970 442. Or just hand wax it. But no clear coat

Pushrod Fifty /

Never had gas damage with rustoleum flat, gloss or clearcoat.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Never had gas damage with rustoleum flat, gloss or clearcoat.

I've had damage with all three.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, Rust-Oleum might as well be finger paint after gas hits it

Pushrod Fifty /

I have used on many bikes but I have usually let it stand at least a few months while I rebuilt the rest of the bike. If it is fully cured it will take a direct spill. Unfortunately I have done it a few times.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account