1978 Morini

Hey all, I’m new to the forum and looking for some help. I just picked up a 1978 Cosmo Blazer 2 with a Morini engine. Trying to figure out if it has the M01 or M02. Is there any easy way to tell? Any help would be awesome, thanks.

0CB5B992-493E-400E-B984-6E66C1D3432B.jpeg

Re: 1978 Morini

radiator fluid in the engine block...you need a 2 speed guy! stat...... :)

Dallas Fowler /

So this is a 2 speed M02? What oil do you recommend running? I hear some people run ATF...

Check wiki, there might be info, or try and find the service manual online, failing that, someone will know tomorrow or soon, I've just never had one of those.

Yep! MO2. Treat it right and it will run nearly problem free. Starter clutch lever adjustment is critical.

Don why exactly do you say that about the clutch lever? I ask cause my cable came jimmy-rigged. (home-made gnarp)

The oil in the pan looks for all the world water contaminated .

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Run non detergent 30 oil not ATF.

Show us a pic of the clutch actuator (the stuff inside the side cover, and we can help you sort it out. The hook is often lost

Manual says non-degerent sae20, you prefer 30? Was that clutch comment directed to me?

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Manual says non-degerent sae20, you prefer 30? Was that clutch comment

> directed to me?

ND20 is great, if you can find it. ND30 is common, and totally acceptable to use.

the part where it has 2 gears is a nice identifiable confirmation that yea, it's got 2 gears haha, 2 speed! cool! They work okwith ATF too vs ND30. the detergent oils should be fine, only really an issue with the rubber parts. the detergent is meant to keep dirt suspended so that it can get pulled out in an oil filter, which this doesnt have, so ND is ideally better but people have run 10-30 or 20-40 with good results. some people find ATF gives better grab, though I would prefer more slip to engage higher.

That all said, without personally experiencing, ND30 is pretty easy to come by so that'd be my goto. ND20 is available from tractor supply places and many folks claim it rides better. Pretty easy to swap - if you really care, the best is always tuning it by feel yourself - try it, change it, try again. You can always let someone tell you something but when theres alotta different answers htats usally cuz it comes down to personal preference!

What brand of ND30 are ppls getting out there? And where you buying it beside tractor supply. Also new to an M02

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Don why exactly do you say that about the clutch lever? I ask cause my

> cable came jimmy-rigged. (home-made gnarp)

You must adjust the starter clutch cable so that it just makes enough contact to turn engine over when hand lever is fully collapsed.

When people pull a `too tightly adjusted' starter clutch lever,it will damage the mechanism on the moped and might make it contact when released.

The actuation wire can be broken and then you have to try to find one or buy one from Italy.

Sorry to jack the thread but may be good info for poster too, how do I go about investigating this and seeing if it plays into my 18mph top speed?

Read what I posted above,slowly. The word `just' means it's important. I should've said `JUST' . Starter clutch will affect speed if it's dragging, and it will ruin the starter clutch bearing, and other things.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account