Looking for my First

New to all this moped stuff, but excited to get into it soon. I have my eyes on a few options in the area. Would appreciate some advice:

This is my favorite, but a little far away, not sure how I'd transport it: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1887192644759335/

I've heard mixed things about Batavus mopeds in terms of upgradeability and easy of use, but since I'm a beginner, not sure I'll be doing that much upgrading:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/356100001935823/

Similar story about Garelli:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/517908822097694/

Any thoughts before I pull the trigger on one of these?

Thanks!

Re: Looking for my First

Congrats on researching before purchasing. Many fail to do that.

If I had to choose between the three, it would be the Garelli all day. Its in very nice shape and the best price. The Puch has an abomination Honda motorcycle front wheel, fender and forks. Batavas is cool if you're from Holland and your name is Goldmember. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

First moped:

Maxi, 100%. And I really don't care for Maxi's at all.

If you don't like the real hydro suspension and disk brake, you are a loon, but you could always swap to standard maxi gear with someone else's take-offs.

Batavus is slow and underwhelming.

Garelli is plagued with crumby rubber clutches.

Eric Swartout /

Good to know! Thanks! I can deal with slow, but I can't deal with unreliable. I think I'll more into the Maxi.

Slow gets hard to deal with after a bit, getting run off the road sucks, just something to think about unless you live in the boonies, traffic really moves these days, and you better keep up. Puch, were it my choice, and I don't like them, but tons of parts to get them going realistic speeds.

RZ Namllow /

Get the puch. Put ebr forks on and dont look back

> RZ Namllow Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Get the puch. Put ebr forks on and dont look back

Have fun with the electrical abominations too. Stock wiring has been hacked with 8 AA batteries and switches. I'm just not feeling it for no $700 sorry. (edited)

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Garelli is plagued with crumby rubber clutches.

New reproductions are available @ treats

Ive parted 2 of the 6 I own and never had a problem with them that couldn't be resolved. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

RZ Namllow /

I agree. $700 is too much. i say wait for a nicer one.

Eric Swartout /

How about $600? (may be able to bring him down in price a bit): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2543420765786784/

RZ Namllow /

Looks nice. Go for it.

I've been there looking for my first. I did what they said NOT to do. I bought a non running a35 Tomos that looked good, had new tires and was more or less complete for less than $300. A slightly tatty Tomos or Puch would be a good pace to start due to support and parts being plentiful. Unless you love Jawa or something else that has limited support and are skilled enough for the challenge. (edited)

Stock maxi, with techno circuit pipe and 15 bing. Good runner

What part of Grand Rapids are you from ? (edited)

Eric Swartout /

I’m on the north side.

> Eric Swartout Wrote:

> I’m on the north side.

Ha . We lived on Northlawn a couple blocks North of Fatboy's for 17 years .

> Eric Swartout Wrote:

> How about $600? (may be able to bring him down in price a bit):

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2543420765786784/

If that Puch was all stock id say go for it. But since someone else has been jacking with the front end and the wiring with a partial 12v conversion id pass. You're gonna have to figure out what somebody else has hacked sooner or later because it will have a problem down the road at some point. When that happens the factory service manual will be of NO help. Whereas, you can at least rely on the factory service manual on an unmolested ped. I wouldn't give more than $200-300 for that hacked up Puch. Front wheel is noticeably bigger than the back, which means two different sized tires right out of the gate. Good luck finding matching tires for that when you need them.

RZ Namllow /

That 2nd one he showed for $600 was a nice stock one. That's the one I recommended getting. There's 2 different puchs we're talking about here

Yeah that 2nd one is the better of the two. A nice stock one is easier to grapple with especially for a newbie

Eric Swartout /

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm looking at the $600 Puch I think. Seems like the best bet for right now

Puch is a good start. Dicker with him or her. Point out the flaws and offer 300

wow...awesome conversation 2020....best advise.....we can be lucky, and score a bike thats unmolested loved, and ridden, and ridden some more with zero issues stock. understanding the limitations of the engineering is key...ya wanna ride fast with zero issues? buy a motorcycle.....puch like a derbi they wanna run. puch's dont break like derbi's. they a whole nubba lebbel.......ps love my garelli's ride, but garelli can be problem children, and its all about rubber clutch/parts. outside that bombproof, and a sweet ride.....notice no minarelli mention. i'll be keeping that to myself..haha...they make up the other half of my hoard...My 2 cents

Emil Kniemel /

I guess I'm crazy cause I would definitely pay $100 more for a disk brake setup over stock maxi forks. Also $700 is reasonable to me cause I live in CA.

> RZ Namllow Wrote:

> That 2nd one he showed for $600 was a nice stock one. That's the one I

> recommended getting. There's 2 different puchs we're talking about here

From top to bottom in your original post the links are: Puch, Batavus and Garelli. A Batavus is NOT a Puch. (edited)

RZ Namllow /

Click on this link.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2543420765786784/

This is the 2nd one he asked about

> RZ Namllow Wrote:

> Click on this link.

>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2543420765786784/

>

> This is the 2nd one he asked about

That looks respectable and complete other than needing mirrors. Ask for some kind of proof or documentation of rebuilt motor. Anyone can say anything.

700 is too much. offer 550 and take the Puch. Front wheel can be replaced if it bothers you, but that disc brake can be great for a moped.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account