Some lit points duude...

Hello, i just got my headlight working on my puch maxi e50.

But when i looked at the ignition while my engine was running, i saw that the points that open and close were sparking like crazy!

There is a blue/ white spark between the point-gap and when i turn on the light the spark gets stronger and sometimes bigger yellow sparks appear around the points.

Is it normal? Or is there something wrong? I figured that the cables to the headlight maybe are touching the frame somewhere and is causing short circuit?

Thanks :)

Re: Some lit points duude...

Bad condenser,probably.

Re: Some lit points duude...

couple things. bad ground if theres a grounded taillight/brakelight system, bad condenser, dirties, corrosion or excess resistance betw coil. i'd clean em, check wires see if anything changes and then consider replacin condenser

Re: Some lit points duude...

Carl Emil Bager /

Well its a brand new condenser...

The grounding could be bad because the grounding cable has probably been on there for a good 30-40 years. Thats seems the most logical because as i said the condenser is pretty new, i put it on a while ago but the moped first started to run a week ago so...

Thanks!

Re: Some lit points duude...

> Carl Emil Bager Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hello, i just got my headlight working on my puch maxi e50.

>

> But when i looked at the ignition while my engine was running, i saw

> that the points that open and close were sparking like crazy!

>

> There is a blue/ white spark between the point-gap and when i turn on

> the light the spark gets stronger and sometimes bigger yellow sparks

> appear around the points.

>

> Is it normal? Or is there something wrong? I figured that the cables to

> the headlight maybe are touching the frame somewhere and is causing

> short circuit?

>

> Thanks :)

If you are talking about the sparking you see as thinking there should be no spark seen then YES spark is normal..if you don't see any spark or flash at tge point gap then you have a problem.

Re: Some lit points duude...

Carl Emil Bager /

So there should be spark in between the point gaps? Well when i think about it it seems logical. But what made me concerned was the large yellow sparks that did not appear in between the points but instead appeared all kinds of places around the point thing.

Re: Some lit points duude...

Well not seeing exactly what you're seeing it is hard to say but yes the spark innthe point gap is normal ..if it's running ok i wouldn't worry about it

Re: Some lit points duude...

Reading your first post, says you just got the lights working. Did you wire the lights into the ignition circuit instead of the dedicated lighting coil? (edited)

Re: Some lit points duude...

Carl Emil Bager /

Hmm... what do you mean?

I wired the light to the lighting coil that gets current from the condensor, the coil that sits 180degrees from the ignition coil.

Re: Some lit points duude...

> Carl Emil Bager Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hmm... what do you mean?

>

> I wired the light to the lighting coil that gets current from the

> condensor, the coil that sits 180degrees from the ignition coil.

Lighting coils do not get current from the condenser .

Re: Some lit points duude...

Carl Emil Bager /

Oh im sorry, what i meant was that its connected to the condenser.

At least mine has a litte cable with a shoe on that is screwed on the condensor.

Im not that good at all this moped mechanic stuff, im only 13 years old and all my knowledge so far comes from the internet, but i at least got it running haha :D

Re: Some lit points duude...

You're doing good for getting it running .

Post a pic of your stator plate , so we can see how things are hooked up .

Re: Some lit points duude...

Haha now that i have you lined out on spark i'll let my assistants explain the light situation..carry on boys ..lol

Re: Some lit points duude...

Carl Emil Bager /

I took pics but here where my moped is (in the middle of nowhere) the 4g signal or data, whatever you call it is very bad so i cant post pictures. Ill try my best to explain it.

The point-set has a cable with a shoe thats attatched to the condensetor. Under that cable shoe there is another one from the ignition coil. And also a little copper wire (from the lighting coil) is screwed on the condensator with the other 2 cables. :D

Re: Some lit points duude...

Did you wire it that way or was that the way it was wried when you got it ? or maybe i should ask did you add new wire from the lights to there

Re: Some lit points duude...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I was informed by a dubious guy.

If you didn't have a condenser your bike after a few years would be magnetized.

Re: Some lit points duude...

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was informed by a dubious guy.

>

> If you didn't have a condenser your bike after a few years would be

> magnetized.

That might be true..i am.just trying to get an idea if he actually has a problem from adding or if thats factory wiring..the shoe.he is talking about might be the base of the points i guess ?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account