identify an oldtimer

Need help identifying this moped. I've tracked down the decal on it but no info on what bikes it came on (if any)

a9c211dae1e944cb9dc172a951414e78.jpeg
41594ad500314cfda9637670d1955797.jpeg
4650e80f33d045c7b8f560964df5bcde.jpeg

Re: identify an oldtimer

A Bianchi Sparviero?

I like it . Whatever it is . ;)

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A Bianchi Sparviero?

Just looked up some pics, its not a Bianchi Sparviero as they have (clone) Puch engines, the frame looks similar though.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Can't Help ID the bike itself, although given the branding it has to fall between 1956 and 1967.

Also, FB Minarelli never produced whole bikes, so it will be another italian Manufacturer most liekly.

It is not the Bianchi mentioned above.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A Bianchi Sparviero?

Similar, but those look more like the tomos t12/puch ms50—with the forced cooling and shroud.

You can buy those stickers. From the looks of the paint on the tank, it was probably added later.

Looks like a minarelli p3 motor?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Definitely a P3.

http://mo-ped.se/indexsum2.htm#I

I have been searching through a few archives like above, but haven't found anything that's a match.

yeah, everything i am seeing has a rounded tank, not this flat sided one

kinda like this

test_fb2.jpg

Chad Burke saw one similar in Milan at the big swap meet

4d6cfbeab41d47b3aee088e0dd7e6126.jpeg
dd909aee74194a7eaad7584429b7492a.jpeg

The tank looks like it’s from a different bike

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

clearly this establishes Minarelli as the world champion before Derbi

Pushrod Fifty /

The stamping style of the frame and swing arm look Motobi Benelli. Motobi made the 60s Wards ds250 moped. It was branded Motobi in Europe and Wards in the states.

7c09de2666e745f7b560c866ce468b13.jpeg
555b9deff3cd4e6c9f948bafccb77c59.jpeg
b45910c3d09845c4a29af240ef68a4ef.jpeg

looks like the engine has the same side cover as a Minarelli EZ

except this is a 3 speed

Tank is off of another model or year?

Looks like a Moto Beta Cigno, or a Moto BM (Bonvicini.)

Which are basically the same bike. Both companies used Moroni and minarelli engines on their early bikes, then made their own motors in the 60's. So yours would be pre-63, if it's a Beta.

I think the BM's serial numbers started with BM or BAM.

Here's pics. Not exact parts, but the frames are identical.

beta-cigno-anno-1963-it1061780508.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Looking closer, yours is probably the Moto BM. Beta used those cool elliptical tapered upper fork legs on their old bikes, and the rear fender is different on the beta (the blue house painted bike in the upper photo.) Not sure if those fenders are removable or part of the frame.

Parts like the bars and stuff were all options if you bought it new, or coulda been changed over the years. Even the motors varied back then, depending on what was in stock. But I had a 57 Moto beta with a Moroni and the numbers on the engine matched the frame.

Also, the little circle license tag on the fork. Any info in there? Could be when it was last registered.

that looks like it! thanks for the help scavenging

Apparently mine also comes with leg shields they are still looking for at Dos—hoping it comes as a full package

If they don't have them, look on eBay Italy. They have all kinds of that kinda stuff for cheap. Shipping's kinda high, but it usually equals out to what you'd pay if you find it in the states.

image.jpg

1978 Puch Maxi

Are the engine numbers and frame numbers the same? I’m trying to get a license plate for it and am at the next to last step, at the CHP for inspection. The officer researched the engine number and found it had been stolen in 1979, but recovered shortly thereafter. He couldn’t find any vin number plate on it he right lower side, nor stamping on the right seat post bracket.

He wants to know if the engine and frame numbers are the same, if so that’s what he’ll put on the blue tag. If not he’ll declare it a special construction and number the tag beginning with

This is actually my second attempt to get my Puch registered. Two years ago I had jumped through all the hoops at the DMV and was at the same CHP office in Santa Ana with a different officer named White doing the inspection who had no qualms about issuing me a Blue VIN tag. He drilled and riveted the left side of rhe tag, but when he did the same to the right side of the tag, he plunged through the fuel tank, with the resultant massive leak. After his sincere apology I emptied a metal bin I keep in my VW van and laid the bike on its side for the ride home. You can imagine what I had to do to fix that.

Robert Bos, your humble and grateful customer

What?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account