Value of moped

Barbette Walther /

I have a 2001 Tomos Targa LX in good shape and runs good also, maybe looking to sell. Wondering if anyone could give me an idea of its value? Thanks

Re: Value of moped

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Moped values vary widely depending on location. In SoCal a nice Tomos can sell for $800-900. Same moped in Central Nebraska $300 More in cities, especially ones with many colleges, less in rural areas.

Pics and how many miles on speedometer.

Speedometer doesn’t matter. Half the mopeds have had a broken cable at some point. And don won’t buy your moped anyhow.

$2mil

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Your mortal soul.....

Mopeds are a curse pay someone Its futile to run they are faster....

Depends on if you try to sell it to someone on this website or not.

Moped Army member: $100 plus free shipping.

Anybody else: reasonable price with a few dollars profit, they pick up.

Pushrod Fifty /

What would you replace a good running moped with? A crappy one that needs rebuilding?

miles has nothing to do with anything. If anything i'd want a bike with more miles cuz that'd mean it didnt just sit around rotting

mopeds are priceless, if ya want a hard number post an ad in the buy sell forum, pictures and where your located. im guessing for tomos good condition a55, indiana small town, hmmm, cold winter snow, no riding till spring, hmmm, plus ma factor 400 - 550

Probably Fred /

> Peter Fondue Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Speedometer doesn’t matter. Half the mopeds have had a broken cable at

> some point.

Maybe half of the ones you bought did, most of the mopeds/small cc motorcycles I bought were used the first year/season of ownership then parked having only a few hundred mi or less on them and had unbroken cables

But ya part bikes or incomplete bikes a lot was broken on them including cables

Mileage and the condition that matches the mileage is very important to me on any vehicle I buy including cars/vans and almost all my personal vehicles I know that history of them also,

The last 2 complete magnums I bought did have a bit over 500 miles on them though!

999A8670-5514-4691-A85E-8930E1DABBFC.jpeg
0D0C4721-0EFF-47BB-BF24-1DA75111CD2A.jpeg

The mileage matched the condition, same with my 06 revival I got with 147 original miles on it,

237B6C8F-D849-41CD-A087-F1C33D9ABDE4.jpeg

All were bought locally, were stored in heated indoor areas, none from Craigslist,

Shame for the past probably 7-8 years pristine bikes are going extinct at a alarming rate because there are people who buy them just to part them out,

Dirty30 Dillon /

In every case I have found I agree with WillD: The bikes with less miles all equated to mroe work on my end to make right.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > Peter Fondue Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Speedometer doesn’t matter. Half the mopeds have had a broken cable at

>

> > some point.

>

> Maybe half of the ones you bought did, most of the mopeds/small cc

> motorcycles I bought were used the first year/season of ownership then

> parked having only a few hundred mi or less on them and had unbroken

> cables

>

> But ya part bikes or incomplete bikes a lot was broken on them including

> cables

>

> Mileage and the condition that matches the mileage is very important to

> me on any vehicle I buy including cars/vans and almost all my personal

> vehicles I know that history of them also,

>

> The last 2 complete magnums I bought did have a bit over 500 miles on

> them though!

>

> The mileage matched the condition, same with my 06 revival I got with

> 147 original miles on it,

>

> All were bought locally, were stored in heated indoor areas, none from

> Craigslist,

>

> Shame for the past probably 7-8 years pristine bikes are going extinct

> at a alarming rate because there are people who buy them just to part

> them out,

Yes, there is a purpose in checking the speedo mileage. I bought my Hero Majestic Ankur with only 18 miles on the speedo. Matched the condition, as Ken said.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /
DKW509.JPG

I have to respectfully disagree. I have always preferred low or super low miles. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never really had to work hard on the forgotten gems except for one. This little bastard had 235 kilometers on it when I got it. It was seized solid after sitting for 25 years untouched. I finallly got it freed, but marred the piston slightly in the process. You go try and find a B piston (30mph) for a Sachs 502. Even in Germany they laughed. So I found the closest match and machined the rest. I guess it is worth it because there are no known other DKW509s with the B motor, only the MOFA version A motor and even those are unicorns. I have searched 10 years and have been unable to find any moped with a 30mph 502 much less another one of this particular baby unicorn. probably a sole survivor.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Free mopeds cost the most....

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> Depends on if you try to sell it to someone on this website or not.

>

> Moped Army member: $100 plus free shipping.

>

> Anybody else: reasonable price with a few dollars profit, they pick up.

I've noticed this too. I do NOT haggle people down on price here because I dont like it being done to me.

Probably Fred /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Free mopeds cost the most....

Absolutely !

I found a 78 maxiluxe pretty much complete complete on garbage day on the side of the road 16-17 years ago, and thought this is great,

But it was Completely seized, wheel bearings seized, all cables, brakes, throttle locked up, Forks were locked needing new bushings, engine needing complete rebuilding it cost me $450 of parts to complete/get it running good though I made slight mods and kitted it with 60cc enduro kit because it was cheaper than an Nos cylinder so it went over 45 mph but it wasn’t till a few years later I sold it,

If you included my time, I spent over a grand on that bike but otherwise I made $175$ which I still had to add another $90 or so to buy a puch polini kit for a other bike From Chris from Moped warehouse,

can’t really complain, The polini kit is still on a bike and still runs, it is twice the quality and way more forgiving of the new puch polini kits!

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Free mopeds cost the most....

Not if you know how to deal with them. Chop chop goes the butcher.

Pushrod Fifty /

As a comp: Saw a nice clean Bullet in Eastern CT Craigslist for $350, said it ran great last summer, they all say that.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> said it ran great last summer,

It probably did , just before they seized it . LOL

Nah, they just left the petcock on and the carb gummed up over winter, they ALL do that. :)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Nah, they just left the petcock on and the carb gummed up over winter,

> they ALL do that. :)

Right! Just needs carb cleaned....

sunkped_zps4b2f3a94.jpg

^ :D

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Ran when parked

Pushrod Fifty /

I love ones that had thousands dumped into them and all they need is a carb adjustment.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I knew a guy who had a motoguzzi 750cc oval frame. Sunk 100s into it to get it running. It broke my heart the exasperation in his voice. I then pointed at the aftermarket taillight. Not a cev I showed him the resistor in my Sachs tail. Safety. Override on the ht. It started the next day.

Pushrod Fifty /

The old Italian brake light kill got him?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account