Turning a moped into a motorcycle

Alright Eff it, I'm bored..I started to hijack another thread with this but I think it needs its own thread and I'm interested in opinions on this one so here goes.

Here is my point. I bought this little beauty from a dude in NH and it needed a little tweaking but it rips and it's cool and all but it still has the stock forks and drum brakes and I have to deglaze the shoes like after every fourth ride and the guy I got it from basically told me straight up that one of the main reasons he was selling it was because he had almost been killed on it more than once. I've been thinking more and more about that comment all the time...Yeah, this is what happens when you try to turn a moped into a "motorcycle" and maybe its just that I haven't spent that other 1k or so that I need to finish turning it into a "motorcycle" but I'm not sure that really makes sense to me in the first place.

20190715_195352.jpg

Re: Turning a moped into a motorcycle

It's only halfway to being great.

If that.

Once you get a really dialed bike with dialed controls and good forks/braking...then you'll know why they're so awesome.

It's the best feeling I have in my life.

The only time I'm fucking free to do whatever and rip or stop fast, or go up thru the twisties as fast as possible with a cool running ripper. It's a wonderful fucking joy

Norris Hall /

All right, I hear ya, Maybe that's what I am looking for is the encouragement to finish it. IDK. I have always been more of a stocker with pretty much all my ICE goodies. I just don't have as much experience with modified shit and I know this thing is really only halfway done.

its not a moto till your state says its a moto :^)

a lot of the joy for me in mopeds is, well building the mopeds.

making them do more than the factory had them do.

and its still a moped.

Throw some good forks on it off a dirt bike, and a good disc brake on the front.

and rip all over the place on your cool, improved motobecane moped.

Norris Hall /

I agree, I'm working on getting those k10 forks into the mix but then of course I will have to mod them for a caliper mount...it just never ends.

personally I much prefer the cr80 swap. because you can get the whole sha-bang. has a 17 front wheel and disc brake stock. I got a whole wheel, with rotor and master cyl for like 70 on Flea-bay. set of forks included you might break 200. also you can full adjust fork length by pushing the tubes past the triple tree. have fun with it. if you have the coin, buy another stock bike to ride while you wrench on your ripper.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

little kid dirt bike forks are alright, but take some serious fabrication to run, they aren't just bolt on.

You also can't just push the fork tubes up in the trees and expect a nice ride, they are long travel and set up for a little kid, so pretty soft and bouncy.

You can change the travel and spring rate in most of them, but it's more work and money, depending on how you go about it.

I know this because I put yz80 front and rear suspension on a general top tank

Captain Janeway /

For me, I kit because I can stay out of the way of cross town traffic riding up my tail plus I can run the hills and twisties near my house. Can't climb the hills on a 50, and it's so much fun.

Besides, working on the bikes is just so meditative.

Dirty30 Dillon /

That bike would definitely feel alot more stable with a better set of forks, properly supported rear shocks, and a seat that wasn't the size of a pound cake.

Norris Hall /

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------

>

> Besides, working on the bikes is just so meditative.

That is the most enjoyable thing about being a mechanic to me! Certainly not always the case depending on the job but you can always take a deep breath a step back and adjust your attitude and have at it again after lunch or whatever.

Norris Hall /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That bike would definitely feel alot more stable with a better set of

> forks, properly supported rear shocks, and a seat that wasn't the size

> of a pound cake.

HAha, yeah the seat was one of the first things to go. The rear shocks I upgraded to 10mm. They were 8mm and the through bolt was bending but I have no issues now with the 10mm's and yeah the front forks are what I am working on figuring out now. It's pretty brutal with the steelies and 2.75 Gazelles. (edited)

the tiny lil pencil thin front moby forks are yikes

looks slow, redo it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account