Turbo-Charger

peashooter /

Why can't you buy turbo chargers for mopeds. I dont see why one wouldn't work with a moped. other than the fact that the turbo charger might cost more than the ped.

Re: Turbo-Charger

chuck russo va /

it would probibly make so much boost that it would blow the motor to pieces and rip your legs off in the process, it would be like having a hand gernade go off where your motor is located

LOL why would you want to put on a turbo or put nos on a moped...its ridiculous, buy a camaro or a mustang then do that shit...a turbo would never work cuz first of all turbos run off exhuast, and i dont feel like explaining it but it would never work.

A one clinder engines exhuast couldn't power a turbo

Its not impossible, but pretty damn close. The problems I can think of are as follows:

1. There aren't any small enough (that I know of).

2. They require a pressurized oil supply to the center bearings (which 2 strokes do not have).

3. Even if you could find a charger small enough, in a reed valve motor, the valves in the crank case would likely be blown out or be held partially open by the incoming charge air boost. You wouldn't have this problem in a motor that used the piston skirt to seal off the intake port on the compression stroke but...

4. A moped carb is designed to run at negative pressure and you would not be able "blow through" it. The turbo would have to suck through it and as a result, starting the thing could be made very difficult.

5. Even if you could work around these problems, the engine would not be able to get rid of the extra heat load and would burn up quickly.

If you could find a turbo small enough and were a able to fabricate the plumbing and get oil to it, it would be interesting to experiment with it.

Not true, you would simply have to calculate the exhaust/compressor turbine sizes correctly...

hmm.....

minutemade /

they make a supercharger for the 50,70,90,110cc hondas power you can see it at powerbikeusa.com

and also a guy made a turbocharged bar stool with a honda motor http://www.sdsefi.com/features/apr00stool.htm

minutemade /

i don't reccommend makin a turbocharged bar stool unless your one crazy sob cause i know even my friends mini bike with a 5hp briggs bored .60 over and a striat pipe can get pretty crazy and out of hand.

one would be cool for a go kart though:)

matthew fields /

technichly a turbo is just induced air induction a turbo charger is electicly indced air induction now you could branch of a power cble from youre alternater and use it to go to a small fan inside anm inake hat forces mroe air into the engine and bam a tur is born howver theresults from this mostlikely arent all taht thrill ona one cylender engine but it can bedone not allturbos run of exaust

Waste gate no? More air what about more fuel?

Wrong Moron !

matthew fields wrote:

>

> technichly a turbo is just induced air induction a turbo

> charger is electicly indced air induction now you could

> branch of a power cble from youre alternater and use it to go

> to a small fan inside anm inake hat forces mroe air into the

> engine and bam a tur is born howver theresults from this

> mostlikely arent all taht thrill ona one cylender engine but

> it can bedone not allturbos run of exaust

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey ... Matthew Fields... you are an ignorant idiot who doesn't know what the HELL! you are talking about.

Not to mention the worst spelling and grammer I have EVER seen.

A Turbocharger BY DEFINITION runs off exhaust pressure you dork... thats what turbocharging means...

........... this is not an idiot childerns forum... (or at least I am going to try to keep it from becoming one myself !)...

... either make sure you know what you are talking about ... OR DON"T POST !!

and clean up your spelling and grammer damm it !

and find out what PUNCTUATION is !

You are an embarrasment to Americans everywhere.

Re: Wrong Moron !

peashooter /

we dont need to start a big fight guys. But couldnt you use a supercharger, i thought those did not run off of exhuast. At least that is what i figured because I am pretty sure that they have no turbo lag.

Fred-- you rock. Keep 'em in line

The turbo charged bar stool is a 4 stroke, which is a practical test bed for a turbo application. (and is 160cc apparently) You just can't effectively turbocharge a 2 stroke engine due to the fact that the engine accomplishes 2 duties per thrust of the piston, versus one duty in a 4 stroke. If you really wanted to impress your friends, install a larger displacement 2 stroke engine (or 5-10-20+ cc kit if its of known quality), which would probably be about a quarter or half as expensive as fabricating a turbine for use on a small displacement 4 stroke engine if you went the 4 stroke installation route on a moped. If one were sneaky, just register your 750cc 4 stroke v twin street bike as a moped and marvel at the performance. It'd at least be alot cheaper in the long run. if you wanna go faster, theres no replacement for displacement. And besides, mopeds just aren't any fun unless your causing that SUV cager behind you an anuerysm from stress because you have just as much right to cruise at 20MPH in front of him, as he does for getting 12 miles to the gallon and riding alone. Just my two cents

yes, peashooter, superchargers work by being tied directly to the engine. They have no lag, and make huge horsepower increases. As someone mentioned before, it would have to suck air through the carburator and also, the engine could not use reed valves for it to work properly.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account