To Buy or Not to Buy...?

Gregory Stephen Benjamin /
00202_52aRXKvTAbi_600x450.jpeg

Finally - a mint Honda M.B.-5 is for sale an hour away from me for $2,500.00. He says he is going to part it out if it doesn't sell.

What...!?!

It is bone stock, O.E.M., mint, with 210 Miles.

I had one years ago. God, was it a blast to ride.

I recently became disabled and money is tight - Is it worth going into debt for...?

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy...?

I'm losing sleep just thinking about it...

No, nothing is worth going into debt.

If you can't afford it cash, it's a no go.

Also, just wait for another one. That one's mint almost to nice to ride, it would be more of a collector's item.. buy a good rider for a grand and be happy.

Thanks for the perspective - I get a little obsessive when I want something... :-o

Pushrod Fifty /

I think Ive seen the same bike on CL and here for sale for a while. If no one grabbed it after all of this time, it's not worth the asking price. If it sat all of this time without use, the rings may have set into the cylinder and the crank seals, petcock, and all other rubber parts have dry rotted. It won't show until you start using it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's for sale in B/S for $2200.

crank seals are not the reason not to buy this amazing antique. they can be changed out easily enough. the reason not to by is that you can get a running ke100 and have just as much fun for a fraction of the price. all the fun and none of the problems with owning an antique.

Pushrod Fifty /

Running an antique is what I like to do the most but to spend that much on something that would need to be gone through is a little crazy unless it's super rare and that isnt.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

the reason not to by is that you can get a running ke100 and have just as much fun for a fraction of the price.

Im Jimmy Cincinnati, and I approve that message. Better advice has hardly been proclaimed before.

Yes the KE100 is fun and cheaper. But I am on the other side. I had a CL100 as a kid and loved it and road the hell out of it. When I went looking for another, I could have bought so many different bikes and been better off but the bottom line is it was not "THE BIKE". I think this is his problem. He wants the bike he had way back then.

I personally think the price is fair. The $2200 on the other topic is a very good deal for a super low milage time capsule bike. The guy that wants that model in excellent shape will pay for that bike. It just takes time to find that person.

For me I looked for @ 3 years till I found mine. And now 10 years later I am thinking to sell as I have to reduce. Very hard decision.

Last thing... never go in debt but for a house or car. Aaron Blair said it right. If you cannot do cash you cannot do it.

^Re debt, I agree with you there, with one possible exception, I could see it for that bike if it is "the" bike, and you have no intention of selling it/know you will not be bored of it in a season etc, plus if you had half and have the credit for a personal loan...? I could see it. But yes as a rule, debt kills. Avoid at all costs.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> the reason not to by is that you can get a running ke100 and have just

> as much fun for a fraction of the price.

>

> Im Jimmy Cincinnati, and I approve that message. Better advice has

> hardly been proclaimed before.

Ive posted this more than once on MA....

il_570xN.1201995817_c7o6.jpg

(edited)

You love it? Buy it for reduced price.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The KE100 makes 11 hp and the MB5 7hp, same weight. Not really the craziest difference, especially given my 125 makes 26hp. And the MB5 has a disk front.

If you want an MB5, the KE100 is not a facsimile. One is a road bike, the other is an enduro. This is akin to saying, "Why buy an GPR50 when you could buy a DT400?"

That Honda factory accessory rack on the back is rare and tough to find.

Pushrod Fifty /

Man thats a bad assault to mopeds. That ad is all about the babe, getting her on the back, and into the woods. Hope he took to the paved and not the dirt road.

Wow - lots of good advice here from seasoned soldier's of The Moped Army.

It is "the" bike by the way, and would be kept by my bedside. Not to be driven, mainly admired, in the wee hours on the evenings of sleepless nights.

They have service animals - why not a service 'Ped, eh...? ;o)

You should ride it, it will degrade if you don't, they were made to be used.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The KE100 makes 11 hp and the MB5 7hp, same weight. Not really the craziest difference,

There is a big difference between the 2... my stock MB5 would hardly do 50mph and 5th gear was nearly worthless... I rode around mainly in 4th gear. The bikes were heavy and underpowered. The disk brake was a nice gesture but unnecessary for the machine, plus it was not a very powerful disk setup. Ive always thought the MB5 had too much rotating mass with those heavy Com-star wheels. Honda really tried to mimmick their bigger machines but they flat out did not give it enough power. A KE100 will completely smoke the MB5 in every way... take off or top speed. As a former MB5 owner i encourage you consider something that will not bore you so fast.

0e9291b95296df6f25efd758aabf9de5.jpg

I WILL look at the KE-100 - didn't actually even know about it. Thanks for the tip. (I do love the 50 C.C.'s and under class, though)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The KE100 makes 11 hp and the MB5 7hp, same weight. Not really the

> craziest difference,

>

> There is a big difference between the 2... my stock MB5 would hardly do

> 50mph and 5th gear was nearly worthless... I rode around mainly in 4th

> gear. The bikes were heavy and underpowered. The disk brake was a nice

> gesture but unnecessary for the machine, plus it was not a very powerful

> disk setup. Ive always thought the MB5 had too much rotating mass with

> those heavy Com-star wheels. Honda really tried to mimmick their bigger

> machines but they flat out did not give it enough power. A KE100 will

> completely smoke the MB5 in every way... take off or top speed. As a

> former MB5 owner i encourage you consider something that will not bore

> you so fast.

I owned an MB5 for many years, and to be honest it was flawless. Performed just as I wanted a 49cc AC motorcycle to.

Sure, I could have instead grabbed a 100cc> bike and had a better bike. But the styling on the MB5 is unlike most bikes of the era and it is a pretty bombproof chassis and motor.

I now own a different, much rarer shifty 50 and while the styling is more my speed, the output and assured reliability are missed.

Pushrod Fifty /

A Benelli Fireball would be awesome.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

But the styling on the MB5 is unlike most bikes of the era and it is a pretty bombproof chassis and motor.

I liked the styling too, but the bikes are so limited. I went all out on mine trying to gain that lower end power while maintaining decent top speed. My setup ended at...

70cc kit (athena i think)

Homeot pipe

19mm dellorto

6 speed CR80 trans swap

4 petal reed block upgrade

high flow filter.

It was just always a slug off the line. I know the homeot was more of a top end pipe, but there really is not a good low - mid pipe for that bike. I then picked up a trashed looking 4 speed Yamaha RX50 that ran and it was just such a better bike. Peppy and would still top out around 50-55mph. The MB5's are just flat out turds.

The day another RX50 pops up Im snagging it. If your going to own a 50cc consider something other than an MB5.

J. Maxon is spot-on...

"s"

Dirty30 Dillon /

My MB5 was completely stock and not a slug at all. Would keep up with kitted bikes easily.

^ I've got to agree with this, for what it was it was amazing, I really loved mine, I may be too heavy for it now, but when I was 170 or so felt like I was flying! :) If I could have but one bike back...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account