1980 Yamaha QT50

I'd like to get some opinions on this model. Pros and Cons

Re: 1980 Yamaha QT50

Pro's, well built, shaft drive, factory signals. Con's, sad brakes very limited suspension travel, performance somewhat limited by rear end gearing, expensive and time consuming to go fast, charge coils will burn out if you don't run. I like mine, made for a smaller person though. :)

Some mechanical and electrical parts are still available from Yamaha, but kinda expensive. Not much for body plastics, decals or unique cables. There are some sellers on eeeebay that have some NOS stuff so you can keep one of these going without too much of a hassle. 79-81 is the early series with some electrical differences and instrumentation differences compared to 82 and up.

do these things have a CDI ???

Yes, run the battery even though the bike will run without it

why run the battery if the bike will run without one

Burns out the charge coil, and blinkers don't always work.

is a charge coil expensive?

How long can the bike be run without a battery before burning out the charge coil ???

I might be of help with this and i might find i shouldn't be running this battery..i have a walmart 6v recharable battery that i took out of a deer feeder .it is smaller tgan the actual battery but i just wedged it in ..somebody might say this type battery shouldn't be used and i won't disagree but it has done ok on mine and it is not but a few bucks ...it is not the 6v lantern battery it looks like a small motorcycle battery and is black

The headlight doesn't like it with no battery in it either. They are prone to blowing out after a while running with no battery. And they're an expensive sealed beam. I disconnect mine while getting everything sorted before getting a new battery.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account