Why do stock 1.5 Puchs have larger main jets than 2hp??

Angry Hipster /
puchjet.jpg

Same carb size, same atomizer, same slide.. and the 1.5 has a larger main than a 2hp. What gives?(edited)

Re: Why do stock 1.5 Puchs have larger main jets than 2hp??

strange, im thinking misprint, human error.

Angry Hipster /

I know that the cylinders/exhausts/intakes are different. The restrictive intake/airfilter snorkel stuff and restricted exhaust would call for a leaner main jet. . Meanwhile the cylinders are different with the 1.5hp using the open port alu series vs the closed port hi torque .. Would this be the reason for a larger main jet?

Or is it like you say, human error? Idk

perhaps the pilot jet is bigger on the 2.0. you did not post the 1.5 pilot vs 2.0.

if they are the same then human error.

I don't think a stock 1.5 bike has a 66 jet its a 54 I think.

Angry Hipster /

Pilot jet? The atomizer sizes are both the same at 2.22

I guess I might have to ask the man himself who wrote it. I typically send him a few bucks when I ask him a question and I was just trying to check here first.

Angry Hipster /

Update: I did some more digging and think that the 1.5hp may be a 2 speed. If that makes a difference?

Angry Hipster /
jetz.jpg

I don't get it, same number of gears in this chart

2hp probably makes more velocity with the same carb size.

More velocity= more fueling being delivered with the same size jet

It's not a difference between 1 speed and 2 speed, as demonstrated by the Myron's chart.

The main difference I can tell is the gearing (14t front vs 16t front for 1 speed) and the exhaust (1 hole vs 4 holes.) Everything else appears to be the same between 1.5hp and 2hp. The missing information on both of these charts is the amount of restriction in the air box. My hunch is that the 1.5hp model had less air box restriction but more exhaust restriction than the 2hp version.

Hm,m but then there's conflicting info here about the needles and slides:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_horsepower_differences

given all the variables of the differences through the years. thats just what it tuned in at from the factory, governed to run 25mph....chart is a base where to start on a unmolested 1.5mph tuned puch bike of the model yr......change the differences, it will need different tuning. puch constantly strived for better durability, reliability, performance. hence the multitude of parts/numbers for e50, and the need for a chart to keep everything straight for the mechanic. i would trust the chart.....my 2 cents...

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> perhaps the pilot jet is bigger on the 2.0. you did not post the 1.5

> pilot vs 2.0.

>

> if they are the same then human error.

There are no pilot jets in Puch Bing carbs.

Angry Hipster /

I have the 2hp cylinder, pipe, gears, air filter. I do have a 15mm intake that I threw on due to convenience and a 60 jet.

The bike runs great but I was worried it may be too lean. I guess I could stick a 61 or 62 just to be safe? Or maybe stick a piece of pantyhose over the stock aircleaner to help it filter a little better and richen things up a bit?

Overpriced Parts /

A 60 jet with a 212a atomizer could be richer then a 64 jet with a 222 atomizer/needle valve hence the a at the end of 212a because the end of the atomizer/needle jet is wide even though the rest of it is smaller,

If you run junk stock airbox then everything screwed up Performance wiseif you don’t run the correct snorkel because without the snorkel it may not run right with stock pipe,

Many za50s run small snorkle and e50s run big and or both can have restrictors in them,

I mean there’s so many variables like open port 2HP cylinder to high torque iron lined 2 HP cylinder the best is to run a mesh filter or be completely stock intake air box snorkel, pipe and everything for your model for correct jetting,

You may not have the correct pipe even though it looks the same it could be a different pipe internally I’ve had over 125 puchs go through my hands and never did I find one with a 66 jet stock so it to me it’s a typo it’s supposed to be a 56 jet,

On many 2hp za50s a 56 jet with 212a is equal to a e50 60jet with a 222 atomizer/needle jet, on a open port 2hp with a 14mm bing came with a 68jet with a 212a atomizer and I got a complete improvement of 5mph by throwing the junk airbox away and putting a metal mesh filter and a 70 jet with 222 atomizer,

If your Bike runs great with a 60 jet then leave it but I hate the most restrictive turbulence causing Square junk Maxi airbox known to mankind, I just threw three 5 gallon buckets of them along with the stupid white snorkels in the recyclable bin a while back,

I don’t understand why people wanna lose 5 to 12 miles an hour and well over 1hp by running any of the stock puch airboxes/ filters with snorkels just to be a little bit more quiet as well as without the snorkel and airbox the jetting is real easy to do,

A 29 mph Puch magnum II becomes a low 40s mph bike by getting rid of all the stock airbox crap and making a quarter inch hole through the exhaust running a metal mesh filter (large size) and re jetting to 70-72 jet 212a atomizer,

Think about it 30-to 40% more power and speed for cheep,

I mean why go 29 mph more or less with horrible takeoff on a puch moped when you can go 40+ And keep up with traffic and not creating a dangerous passing situation,

I’ll never understand why anybody want to run stock airbox and jetting unless their bike is a campsite campground bike or just like to ride around in their driveway

check for leaks, keep an eye on running temps, and watch the plug or plug chop for the serious performance nerd. if 60 is it, then 60 it is, with your changes....dirt, and carbon build up in a system can change factory tuning........my 2 cents...

ive never seen an #11 slide, per 2hp 30mph chart...haha....who knows sheesh.....could be typo....

I love the stock airbox, I usually remove the metal screen and tube. It is nice to have a quiet bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account