Question about replacing tires

Sup y'all.

So my 1976 Pacer has 16 grimeca wheels with, I believe, 2.25 width tires. Living in NYC, I'm wondering if I should just replace the tires with a thicker tire - was thinking 2.75 or 3. But I'm wondering if that just wouldn't fit with the rims and would be a waste of a buy?

Is tire width something you can mess around with or do i have to stick with the original intended thickness?

Re: Question about replacing tires

The main issues you'll run into with getting thicker tires is clearance on the fender/swingarm depending on the bike. The rim won't be an issue unless you try to go crazy thick

U can go a little wider but 3.0 would be way to big. I think a 2.5 is perfect

All tires are not the same also. Some tires are larger than other. They may say it's a 2.5 but could be larger or smaller. Chinese shit is strange

> Steve Dolan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> All tires are not the same also. Some tires are larger than other. They

> may say it's a 2.5 but could be larger or smaller. Chinese shit is

> strange

Michelin Gazelles are a good example of this. Those things are thiccc

Dirty30 Dillon /

2.5 is probably going to be the limit. Even then, I'd use a 2.25 anyways so you don't have to bother modifying fenders.

So I'm wanting to replace my Grande Pirelli tires but I can't seem to find them. I'm wondering if the were replaced. The original look street tire on front and knobby on back looks cool. They are, ML120 - 2.50 x17 and MT 2.75 x 16 R

carl jepsen /

There are a lot of myths floating around about moped tires the one that no one really talks about is age doesn't mater if they are in the sun or not if they have pressure or not near a heater or not age affects moped tires period heat is the #1 culprit after that it's age the simple fact is rubber degrades with time

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I had a Bianchi Snark, which has very similar dimensions as far as frame/swingarm etc...I put Sava b8 2.25 x16's on my wheels, and they BARELY fit, the chain almost grazing the sidewall even when adjusted properly. Those are relatively narrow even for a 2.25, your average 2.25 tire like the Sava MC2 that you'd find on tomos would not fit at all. Therefore I'm pretty sure a 2.5 tire of any kind would not fit.

I mean, I may be wrong, but these minarelli/morini step through frames are usually very similar, sometimes exactly the same.

I also live in nyc. the roads are terrible. order the biggest tire that will fit. measure carefully so you don't need to mod the fender. you see all the e bikes with 4" fatty tires. bigger is better.

carl jepsen /

If it was my grandmother, I would have her purchase 2 new tires similar to the tires that are now on the moped. Think safety. Go to buy/sell and find someone who has replaced their tires in a size that's close. Sometimes you can ask them to keep an eye out for tires for you since moped tires are not very common anymore.

Too true Carl I type in MOPED tires fuckin comes back scooters, so sad. But I did look in the Vespa Grande manual and it states the Pirellis specifically.

Dirty30 Dillon /

There are literally dozens of varieties of tires for any given moped rim size. They are not hard to find by any means.

That said, you aren't going to gain much from a .25" increase, other than clearance issues. If you get a quality, modern 2.25" tire it will be a night and day difference.

Express NC50 /

Something to think about when selecting tires besides the size, that is important is the load rating and the speed rating. A lot of the peds are modified with kits,carbs,exhaust,porting and can run much faster than the original 20 to 30 mph that the tires that were originally on when the bike was sold new were rated for. When I looked into tires for my 1979 Honda Express NC50 that came with 2.25x14 30mph rated tires and load rated for 200lbs, I ended up buying IRC 70/90-14 tires that could carry 260lbs each and were P speed rated for 93 mph. Kind of important for safety, when I checked the rear tire with me on the bike the scale showed 200lbs. Better to run a tire under it's rated load than at the limit. Since the bike has a DR kit and a Puch cylinder Super Street high compression head it runs faster than the original 32mph prekit days. So having a good safety margin with high speed rated tires on the bike that can hit 50+ mph makes for peace of mind when blasting through the twisties. These tires are motor cycle tires that have sipping? like sport bike tires, also good in the wet, handle great and stop better that the old tires ever could.

Great info. Thanks y'all. I'll check to see if the finders can fit a larger size w a good quality tire.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account