Re: Sachs 505 c/d Debate

Here is a picture of the 2B on the left with a D and 2B gear comparison on the right. The shift mechanism is in between the gears. That will slide over the pulley shaped piece on the big gear on the right controls the shifting.

1212307090_sachs_2_speed__0009.jpg

Closer look at the gears.

1212307165_sachs_2_speed__0010.jpg

D cylinder on the left, 2B on the right. Notice taper on the intake mount. I don't think a 1B engine has the boxy jug normally right? Can I get a second? The 2B jug's ports are much smaller than the D's.

1212307301_sachs_2_speed__0011.jpg

Cylinders from the top. I got shafted on Ebay because I didn't see how the fins were bent. The engine I bought was well photographed and from the side. oh well. At least they aren't broken off.

1212307401_sachs_2_speed__0012.jpg

So I think anyone who can get their hands on some 2B internals can make a manual shift motor. If anyone else has one or has done this, let us know your experience with the 2 speed.

Testing this out.

Yupp..dragging this back into the mix. a year later.

Just thought I would throw in some of what I've figured out.

I am rebuilding a stamped 505/1C engine that I am 99% positive is all stock. It has two 1.5mm piston rings.

I'm starting to think this engine is a little rare? Its just off a 1978 Balboa but I cant find info on a 505/1C. Even threads like this derail and focus on the A, B & D.

Oh man! this was an awesome thread! I'm curious about how the performance is on the mythical "C" engine.

it's easy C engine is factory stock with the short crank and the D cylinder. my 1978 westlake originally came with a 504 c with the 2 skinny rings.

The confusion is that some people call anything with a square head a D. It's not always true. A lot of D's out there are actually C.

yeah, but is the "C" really any better than the "A"?

yes. bigger ports and a little faster.

well since the pistons are obviously different across A, B, C & D...and clearance is also different...I've found documentation on plugs for A & B... anybody know which plug would go in a C?

The pistons varied by year. The plugs should be the same.

Vlado vlado /

I just got Athena 50cc kit from Benji

the rings are skinnier than original

it seems to me it needs long thread plug, right?

NGK B6HS plug will work great. Not long thread, no.

the C is better then the A. Trust me i started the damned thread lol.

Honestly , my old balboa with the c engine ( 505 reg stroke and big square head ) had serious power for a sachs, and ripped. I thought it was a d.

But it wasnt, it was a c

Vlado vlado /

thanks, Brendan!

haha bump!

cant find a d crank anywhere, any ideas? well there are a bunch of d engines for sale maybe i should just buy the whole engine and remove the crank, probably makes more sense anyway.

why would you not just buy a d motor and just use it?

How can the clutch weakness be fixed ?

2 speed hand shift.

Bump for Sachs n00bs

77's got the D cranks now, used to be handybikes'. But yea. you can get em. They also have the extra-confusing 2B cylinder which is also a square jug but ported shitty like the tapered american 1b jugs.

as far as I've seen all the cases are identical with the exceptions of which holes are drilled out (clutch cable for 1 speeds and shifter holes for the 2 & 3 speeds) and the pedal shaft being internal vs external for the 505s vs 504s

I really like this thread.

I love this thread!!!

Here is more info for the debate.

Sachs also made mopeds in Portugal/Spain This is where i believe the the autisa kits were made as well.

Sachs engines marked 505-d s were made in the portugal plant.

I just picked a '82 SIS taxi with the 505 1 d s engine and it has a forward faced intake and air box with a round filter. The Taxi had a rubber flow restrictor in the intake which kept the speed down to 25mph. When i pulled the restrictor the bike goes 33+ with my 213lb lard ass.

1288731468_5051.jpg

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

buy a 505/2B bottom end from ebay.de a 2 speed manual shift, throw a c or d cylinder on it, or better yet an Athena 80 reed valve kit and have the best of both worlds!

Good evening my Sachs fellows, this seems to be the most comprehensive Sachs thread, so I thought I'd post this here.

Was looking through my sachs 505 manual (attached) that was provided to me by tim of motoverde in Ohio, whom I also bought my bike from. The compression ratio on A and D engines is identical (8) per the manual, yet the stroke is 2mm longer. However the piston is also shorter.

I'm really confused, because I'm putting a "D" setup on a non-labeled engine with the smaller non-D/C head. The piston is correct for the "D" kit I got, but the rod in the crank is not. It is labeled as a xxx102xxx rod instead of the longer xxx103xxx rod that should be found in "D's". So I'm guessing the person I bought it from had a C, but thought it was a "D".

The non-labeled engine I'm taking apart, had a D piston in it and an A angled intake cylinder (def not a D). I really don't know with these things anymore...

The "D" pistons I'm referring to are the ones furthermost right in the picture of pistons above.

I'm just throwing the square cylinder on there and hoping for the best - these sach's have me so confused.

yup, you have a 505/1C ryan.

thanks for bumping this thing it has been awhile since i spent 3 hours reading a thread

i did the same thing to my sachs ryan, its just like running a low comp head on any other engine. i also got rid of the decomp added a 15mm intake and a 14 bing, killer set up for 50cc's! well, with the right pipe that is

Thank God mine is a D.

I bought a piston and head from Handybikes, but i never got a ring set.

What rings fit this sucker.

It was crashed and the decomp was cracked off on the head, so i got a new NOS head.

I think he said he was out, ill ask him again if he has a ring set.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account