Peugeot 103

Mitchell Hoover /

Hello, i have a 103sp with a 50cc kit on a stock clutch and vario, running 2 balls and 2springs. My dilemma is that the clutch gets really hot after a few mins of riding and sometimes locks up, I already removed the starter shoes. Also when the clutch gets warm it slips more then when its cold. Am i missing anything obvious? Just looking for some advice. Thank you

Re: Peugeot 103

Your clutch pad might be warn out. In the wiki there are specks on thickness. You might be slipping too much and overhearing it and making the bearings not want to roll.

Mitchell Hoover /

Thanks for the reply, its a fairly new pad with 1k miles on it, however i do see some glazing on it and 2 darker spots on the pressure plate, from heat.

All you’re washers and everything is in th right place? Just had to ask. Did you try one star nut? Or 3 balls? 2 seems like it would be too light. I don’t know if it would hold the pressure through the RPMs.

Mitchell Hoover /

Going off the diagram from a thread, I believe i am correct, and i have tried 3 balls and 1star spring and it takes too long to take off as it kind of bogs through it. Im just trying to get the optimal start off the line. Its kickin my butt. I was thinking about cutting 6 holes every 60deg on the starter shoe surface, as i dont need it any, for venting.

3819D06B-6773-485F-B54E-ACE0B486BC02.jpeg

I mean you can do that but they could possibly grab more. I know you want to Beth it for heat but the stater shoes can lock in more Did you modify them to the wiki specs?

Mitchell Hoover /

I took out my starter shoes, i start it with my belt on the cdi. I modified them and took the 60% off and they still were dragging.

Welp.....I am out of suggestions. I bet someone else will chime in.

Mitchell Hoover /

Tank yuuuu <3

Ilia Edouardovich /

I strongly recommend a pull start mechanism. Best decision I made for my Peugeot motor build. I also suggest using 2 star springs with 3 balls. This provides better rotating balance. The combo works great for me. No sticking clutch, EVER. And that’s with a hot running 70cc kit tipping around SF hills.

Ilia Edouardovich /

What’s your gearing?

Mitchell Hoover /

Thanks for the input man! Appreciate it! Ill give it a try, i cant afford a pull start at the moment, but i am saving!

Mitchell Hoover /

Stock gearing, i think its like a 11 and a 54 but im not sure tbh. Also wondering on that as well, couldn’t find any gears that I thought would work. Im just after the perfect acceleration and hillclimb setup

did u mod your variator weights/arms ( take weight off or just bolt on two nuts etc) so your butt cheeks close later.

Mitchell Hoover /

I put on two nuts, engages a little too early, but im getting a polini spring soon because my spring is still stock.

the all to common chase for good bottom end on a peugeot. I finally gave up and dished out the money for a clutch pulley and that was it. game changer, for a long time figured it was to racy of a part for what i wanted. turns out it was what i wanted all along.

> Zach Riddle Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> the all to common chase for good bottom end on a peugeot. I finally gave

> up and dished out the money for a clutch pulley and that was it. game

> changer, for a long time figured it was to racy of a part for what i

> wanted. turns out it was what i wanted all along.

Elaborate please?

Doppler?

Pics?

Mitchell Hoover /

I cant afford the er3 and a doppler setup atm, so im messin with stock

I put it off as well because of price. I ended up working a trade for a pull start instead, lost the starter shoes went 3 balls 2 springs.

played with modifying stock weights to using nuts then playing with doppler weights on stock set up determined after months of not dialing in the set up i wanted with the big expansion on the polini sport pipe that i needed something better than stock spring.

Played with stacking springs ended up buying the polini spring. Made a huge difference but still not perfect.

Let it be the rest of that season going into winter i bought the new er86? I think its called along with the er3 vario and stock out the box the clutch slip went into second gear it was nuts...once I got it more dialed in i was super happy with it but with the weather change I knew i was a tad lean but went for once last ride and seized blasting up a hill.

So fresh starting block going into this season but if i could go back and start over i should have jumped right in to better vario and clutch. But i think i rather have the er2 over er3 but it is what it is now im waaaay to invested in this french garbage :)

Mitchell Hoover /

Thank you for you great response man, i really appreciate it!!! Im tunning it rn

Yeah man. Peugeots are great as long as your having fun then your doing it right.

Ilia Edouardovich /

I’ve owned the ER2 and personally prefer the ER3. The ER3 definitely requires more understanding and attention to detail, but if you don’t want to learn than get a Puch Maxi. The ER3s with and without clutch function are amazing. You can easily mod them to get the belt to ride both lower and higher to increase your variation range. On my clutched ER3, my clutch engages after 4K with the 3 ball 2 spring combo, starts to variate at 5k, and pulls hard off the line due to my 70 kit and modified Simonini style pipe. For city blasting, I love this setup.

Don’t get me wrong, clutch pulleys are rad, but better suited for 50cc races kits in my opinion.

If you ever want help setting up an ER3, shoot me an email with your number. I can guide you through it over the phone.

Ilia Edouardovich /

I just realized that you have a 50 kit. Is it stock? Racey?

The clutch pulley setup really is a dream, but unless you’re rockin at least the 50cc Gila Kit, I would stick with a clutched variator setup. Although, decided which direction you want to go long-term and proceed accordingly. 50cc and 70cc on French bikes are 2 completely different animals.

Hit me up via PM if you need more insight.

Mitchell Hoover /

Thanks man! Thats great! Thanks for your help!

Mitchell Hoover /

I got a malossi gr1 kit and im messin with my clutch mostly, cant find a happy medium yet, im thinking about buying the er86 so i have it for the future. Do you have any experience with it, as i cant find much reviews on it.

Mitchell Hoover /

Was the er86 worth the money? Whats your impression on it?

I have an er86 on my 103 and it is definitely worth the money.

I went through the whole stock clutch bs and eventually had to ditch it.

I never used the er2 clutch pulley but this one is very nice.

Out of the box the clutch pads have full contact with the bell and the ability to adjust the spring tension without taking anything apart is great.

The clutch bell is machined and there is almost no slop anywhere .

It has held up great so far, set up to engage around 7000 rpm when my pipe starts to hit.

Mitchell Hoover /

Okay, i think im going to buy it. Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it

I'm using the er86 with the er3 phbg 19 with polini spring and polini sport pipe on the $77.00 texnix cheapo kit

Been re buying this same cylinder for a few years now after doing the whole polini w port and mallosi 70cc i feel like i get just as much power out of the cheapo kit

I have had my best Pug results with the Airsal small port...Truth

cheap and lasts forever

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account