New moped buyer questions

Owen Francis /

Hi, I was looking to purchase my first moped however I have a few questions. The older 70-80's mopeds are appealing and there seems to be a massive aftermarket, but are there new parts in production? I'm fortunate enough to be near Boston where we have some dedicated stores, but with some of the more niche models I imagine parts availability is a serious concern. The moped in question I was looking at says it's in excellent shape except for some issues with the clutch cable, is that presumably a simple enough fix for a novice? I have plenty of experience working on bicycles and I can only assume it's similar enough to a brake cable in design.

Re: New moped buyer questions

You're right that the more obscure the bike the less parts there are, but there are a ton of parts for bikes out there. Treatland.tv, Doscycles.com, dennycycles.com all have a lot of new parts. Clutch cables are easy, I've had to make my own cables on several occasions but it's not a big deal

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you post up what type of bike you're looking at, we can either confirm or assuage your worries.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If it’s a Puch with a ZA 50 2 spd motor that has a bad internal clutch cable, that could be a problem for a novice.(edited)

Owen Francis /

wow, thanks for the quick replies. I was looking at a 1979 Malaguti Commuter

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If it has the Two speed mo2 motor, it can be tricky to fix depending on what the problem is inside the clutch cover. May not be the cable, but an impossible replacement part to find.(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Malaguti uses Morini motors. Not a lot of aftermarket upgrades, but there is plenty of stock in replacement parts.

I recommend you find a Puch or a Tomos that works decently and learn to maintain it first. Unless you've got a lot of time and spare cash moped fixing can be difficult without lots of experience.

I would go talk to Zach at Pike Cycles in Allston. Great guy and he will set you straight and probably has something that will suit your needs and style.

Vespa. I'm only two years into mopeds and these seem to me, great to learn on. So far I've pulled 3 engines and rebuilt them. And they run good. Lots of help from members here. Reading online, etc. Welcome ,have fun!

Jack Rutherford /

It’ll be fine

Hi Owen. I live near you and have plenty of Morini stuff hanging around. If it is an M01 or an M1 then that clutch issue is an easy fix. If it is an M02, as long as the acutator has all the bearings intact, i have all the rest, I can take a look at the thing and evaluate it before you buy. Email me.

Actually, the year is a giveaway. Most of the 79 'Gutis were M1 which is good. Not only are they simpler than the 2 speed, the big bore kits for them are way cheaper.

Owen Francis /

thank you, I'll see if I can swing by pikes when I have time.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Where admiral akbar?

It's a trap.....

This was perhaps the last chance to lead a normal productive life....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account