Why do people in Southern California think their mopeds are worth so much?

I saw a Moby at a yard sale today. Good shape, complete, didn't run, but probably an easy fix. Guy said, "$1500."

Saw a really nice Safari at the swap meet. $1200. I offered $500. Which was still too much, in my opinion.

The worst mopeds on Craigslist are asking $700+. The best ones are asking $1000-2000. The ads have been up for months.

Meanwhile, guys in the east are asking $3-400 for running bikes with minarelli P4s. Or $250 for a bike the same bike that someone here wants $800 for.

A few years ago I got a nice Peugeot 103 from a buddy, repainted it, rebuilt it, was asking $1300 for it (Craigslist average price) and dumped it for $600 after a few weeks with no offers. Still made a profit.

Why do people here think their 15mph, stock, rusty piece of crap is worth more than a used Honda Civic?

Re: Why do people in Southern California think their mopeds are worth so much?

Cuz "vintage" lol!

Come hang out here! We have many extra mopeds not selling lol

Wesley Ambrosini /

Yeah dude I'm in central can and shit is crazy. Local CL dude wanted $350 for a Puch that was rusted to shit, rims were toast original tires "has been sitting outside for at least 5 years"

I was pumped when I got a foxi with the piston rusted in the jug, gas tank ruined no tires missing spokes hasn't ran in 15 years for $125

I have been shopping this month what I have seen:

A non running maxi with a put put rebuild (non kitted) 500.

A non running. Seized auto puch 1500

A running , but thrashed and rusty magnum 1350 ..... he went down to 1k

I don't get it either

I understand the cared for tomos etc. But people are crazy.

That being said, my 103 was 500 off craigslist in LA and the guy said no one wanted to see it. Last spring

People have more money to spend..Southern CA is pretty expensive.

Few reasons come to mind..

-Cost of living is more

-Less supply and more demand

-big car scene out west, probably translates to bikes too.

Maybe people are more into antiques out there? Seems like the east and Midwest has a lot of old junk and maybe we are less enamored with it hear because of that.

I've seen some good prices in Ohio these last several years. Magnum that runs but won't move for $400, PA50-1 complete for $300, JC penny Swinger 2 that "ran" after a couple hours for $125, Ran when parked Moby for $125, rusty Moby complete for $50, Inteamotor Gloria Blanco with a bunch of parts in Buffalo for $50, blue Tomos in Ashtabula County for $50... And guys can't sell kitted bikes for $500.

Some were gone within an hour of being listed, some were listed for weeks. It's crazy.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Same reason why people in NYC think their stuff is worth a fortune. Buyers have more money than brains.(edited)

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've seen some good prices in Ohio these last several years. Magnum

> that runs but won't move for $400, PA50-1 complete for $300, JC penny

> Swinger 2 that "ran" after a couple hours for $125, Ran when parked Moby

> for $125, rusty Moby complete for $50, Inteamotor Gloria Blanco with a

> bunch of parts in Buffalo for $50, blue Tomos in Ashtabula County for

> $50... And guys can't sell kitted bikes for $500.

>

> Some were gone within an hour of being listed, some were listed for

> weeks. It's crazy.

Yea cuz people in Ohio understand mopeds

Overpriced Parts /

NY city and LA many people don’t have cars or have places to park cars because many live in small apartments, rent rooms, several familys in a single residence, many use public transportation and small bikes to get around not to mention insurance and gasoline cost is more in those areas,

When I lived in a city in late 70s my moped got more use then my car or my 175cc motorcycle, crime wasn’t that bad back then in my neighborhood but some neighborhoods were though but my car wasn’t messed with because it was old and not mint but operating costs and poor mpg was a lot of money even back then,

There was (organized crime) car thefts at that time if you had a nice car though,

No real big demand for single cylinder enduro bikes but more than once somebody tried to lift rear tire and push my motorcycle away if parked on the street, parking space or driveway with rear wheel locked up with length of tow chain and railroad switch lock (which were both very strong)

Whereas my very reliable Italian lightly weight step through moped I was able to carry it up and put on peoples front porches, up apartment stairs, bring into the dock area at work (and auto/weld shop area at HS for awhile)

Fuel cost was very cheap and for miles and miles in either direction street speed limits were mostly 25mph so a moped was very good for me even in not so good weather,

I would think similar reasons why a moped would be better for highly populated city use today making them worth more than they really should be

Ok. Rebuttal time.

I rarely see anyone riding a "vintage" moped as a daily. Lots of crap China scooters everywhere, but no "real" mopeds.

So that kinda rules out the "cheap transportation/ congested traffic" argument. Plus there's so many damn people in cars who are out to get you. Slow mopeds are scary as fuck to ride in some areas because of bad drivers.

Southern California is expensive. So most people who actually want an old moped, can't afford them. And most people selling them, need the money because they can't afford rent. Or meth.

The antique crowd don't really care about mopeds, unless they found one in the garage of the flipper house they just bought. Then they look at Craigslist and price them accordingly.

The car culture won't openly laugh at mopeds, as most of them respect anything that's old, has wheels, and is loved by someone. But the car guys don't want them.

Scarcity could be a factor. With year round riding conditions, mopeds would wear out faster, and instead of being kept in a garage, they'd get junked.

Back in the 80's, mopeds were left out on the curb for the trashmen. I recall seeing them abandoned in alleys, stacked in piles in junkyards, etc.

And...

We don't have barns. So it's pretty rare to find a bike that's been untouched for 40 years squirreled away somewhere.

Also, I can understand the guy trying to get top dollar for a bike he built, bought parts for, restored, etc. You know, a real moped guy.

What I don't get is some jackass who stumbles upon his old Puch at his grandparents house in Riverside, who gives no shits about it, lives amongst rusty sinks and trashed cars at his house in Norco, and tells you "...restored they go for $1900..."

Fuck that guy.

You can’t sell something based on projected value. You can however sell a thing based on how dumb the combined intelligence of the buyer and seller is. The market is similar to that of Seattle. Though we did have one of the main importers of Honda hobbits over here sooooo, we have about 10 of those. I bet there are some deals to be had periodically, but they probably go quick.

this is why i love the east coast, my magnum was 700 in pristine condition. guy fixed all up had it running new paint job and everything. i hit the jackpot when i knew they go for way more.

Overpriced Parts /

> josh n Wrote:

> this is why i love the east coast, my magnum was 700 in pristine

> condition. guy fixed all up had it running new paint job and everything.

> i hit the jackpot when i knew they go for way more.

Is this chopped up abomination non MKII but XK or mag II magnum frame that has homemade seat, maxi swingarm and wheels, e50 engine, missed matched tires, spring forks and shocks That’s also missing fenders, rack, trunk, cowling, chain covers, brake light and has wires and cables too long hanging all over your Pristine Condition 700$ Jackpot Magnum?

156E7391-1847-45E3-9C21-F6952BAD7969.jpeg

For future reference this is what a pristine Condition Magnum MKII looks like :

F35AC780-D725-4200-A422-59E4E55122F9.jpeg

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > josh n Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > this is why i love the east coast, my magnum was 700 in pristine

>

> > condition. guy fixed all up had it running new paint job and

> everything.

>

> > i hit the jackpot when i knew they go for way more.

>

> Is this chopped up abomination non MKII but XK or mag II magnum frame

> that has homemade seat, maxi swingarm and wheels, e50 engine, missed

> matched tires, spring forks and shocks That’s also missing fenders,

> rack, trunk, cowling, chain covers, brake light and has wires and cables

> too long hanging all over your Pristine Condition 700$ Jackpot Magnum?

>

> For future reference this is what a pristine Condition Magnum MKII looks

> like :

> >

Pristine as in not rotted out from rust by sitting in a shed for 40 years but okay asshole

awww, c'mon. why shit on him like that?

the dude likes his bike and feels he got a good deal

"peace and loov, peave and loov" everyone...

tenor-10.gif

I think it’s like anything else house car etc . folk see what items go for in there area and price according.. and pay accordingly.

1600sq foot house in south CA maybe $750.000 same house in north FL 199.000

look at E bay UK .. OMG most folk make way less money in the UK

2E1243E1-D4B5-4F42-ADD0-738331A90DB8.jpeg
EB9966D8-62AC-44B8-8B20-8AFC791B0833.png

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's really simple economics.

Same goes here in NYC. I've sold many clean, running and updated bikes for ~$1000, while you could travel a few hours and pay half that.

At the rate California is going, they are already banning leaf blowers, next up will be mopeds or anything 2 stroke. Get them now before they are nothing but black markets.

Angry Hipster /
tumblr_inline_oni8c4ld2l1rw9yq3_500.jpg

Shit, try Texas. People seem to think a frame with nothing on it is worth 1000s.

Angry Hipster /

Then try to sell a bike at a reasonable price and it won't move... Yet another facet of the moped desert. . .

Leaf blowers are stupid and should be banned. They literally just make leaves someone else’s problem, it’s the most American way to do yard work.

^ LMFAO, SOOO true! :)

todd amundson /

$1000 dual disc toilet paper holder has been listed for years with no love.

California knows how to party[attachment 214959 6A260F02-7E94-4424-A2BE-7BBBD33A88E4.jpeg

6A260F02-7E94-4424-A2BE-7BBBD33A88E4.jpeg

I don't have any use for California , but , a blower comes in real handy for a lot of things beside gifting other folks with leaves . ;)

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Leaf blowers are stupid and should be banned. They literally just make

> leaves someone else’s problem, it’s the most American way to do yard

> work.

Mostly the rich around me that have landscapers that use blowers, some with bigger properties have leaf vac attachments to the riding lawn lawn mowers and pick them up and put on curb for village pick up but only on certain days so many end up in street,

Most of the the rest of us use rakes but Stupid condo HOA cut down most my trees last year so the only leaves I get are blown from other yards so only about a hr of work to rake or just mow them over at end of year with mower

I do use air hose to blow a bit of grass clippings off the driveway back on the grass when mowing I use mulch blade in mower so most everything stays in my yard, almost nothin goes in trash/landfill

They banned gas leaf blowers a while ago, and then somehow reversed it. People have said they're gonna ban 2 strokes here, but it'll never happen.

So silly to ban 2 strokes. The technology is becoming almost as efficient than 4 stroke every year, and emissions are going down significantly with modern oils and graphite based lubricants. From a performance stand point 2 strokes have always had the advantage of power to weight so they will always have a place in the off road world.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account