How to get rid of old gas smell

Hello all, I have a maxi luxe that i just got finished completely disassembling. I unfortunately trusted the 40+ gas gap to hold in its grossness in when I attempted to flip it and I spilled some of thee finest smelling liquid on my concrete floor. Luckily I have a nice respirator, but also a mother. I cleaned it up with some laundry detergent. For the future I was wondering what's the best product to soak up/absorb and get rid of the smell? I'm guessing cat litter but was wondering you guys would recommend? (edited)

Re: How to get rid of old gas smell

Time, dont worry you'll probably go nose blind to it after a couple hours.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

varnished gas is really hard to mask. Absorb what you can with cat litter, but then also try to remove the residual with a strong solvent like acetone. That shit can linger

Sawdust....cats litter, oil-dri. But mostly common sense, don't invert frames with fuel in them? Or if at all possible work outside. The smell is really strong, best kept outside. Drain tanks before transport too unless the bike can be kept upright, you think it's bad in the garage? Try in your car! :) never hurts to have a tarp under the bike when working.

When I spill gas and/or oil on concrete , I grab enough plain old dirt to cover the 'spot' and grind it in with foot power . That takes up stains from dirty old , decades of grime , oil and old gas .

I tried cat litter , but dirt works a charm better .

Sweep it up and toss it on the gravel driveway or just fan toss it over the yard .

If there happens to be a bit of non sweet shop smell left in the air , spray a little Fabreze . Any nose will be set back to complaining about the burnt toast . ;)

^ Never heard this, but will keep it in mind, thankfully I don't own the parking lot at my building....so I don't care what leaks! ;)

Eli Holmes /

Thank you sirs

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I tell the fast-food places I frequent to just take the stone block they clean the grills with when you change them out break one and grind it with your feet on the spot before they pressure wash.

Hell. if I know if it works. it keeps them from bit'hin...

Shop floor dirt for oil. For gas a bucket of water, scrub brush and some dawn dish soap. My shop is under my house below my room. My ole lady gets pissed when she wakes up to the smell of a leaky bike.

Mine just gets up pissed.......

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account