Tomos Targa Airbox Removal?

Chip Barringer /

Ive got a 95 Targa I recently bought and currently derusting tank (in-frame sucks) and putting on new carb 14:12 with air filter directly attached. I’d like to get the new carb and filter setup within the frame but the stock air box seems to get in the way... I’ve searched internet/forums with no luck on how to remove the airbox from the frame. How does one do this??? I’m half inclined to cut the end of the airbox closest to the carb so I can jam the new filter + carb in. Any links/advice most welcome. Thanks. I’m Clueless

263FE7A4-5C89-44A5-BDCD-69C5D51A3876.jpeg

Re: Tomos Targa Airbox Removal?

i so want to help......i just will not be of any help here. nice carb :)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Just yank it out with an upward slant with the engine out.

That's not going to fit with the big af on there get a side shot or run the stock w just the metal disk filter and REJET...

Chip Barringer /

Oh nice, just a brute force pull? Wasn’t sure if anything had it secured down.

I think the AF might fit it’s not much wider than the carb or rubber air box connector.

What Jet range you think low 60s?

I'm pretty sure that filter won't fit on bikes with the straight intake, the carb sits down in a hole in the top of the engine which doesn't leave a lot of room to work with.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

About 2 sizes higher than with the box.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Bend a fancy paperclip into a brace to keep filter on carb.

take a picture of your motor, it would help clarify if u have the a3 piston port with carb tuck in frame or a35 reed with side shot intake, or a35 with shorty i take(which i susprct u have)

just yank out the old box and bolt up your new carb w appropriate jet.

or yank off your new air f and bolt onto old box with old jet.

Chip Barringer /

So new carb’s jet is unlabeled but old carb used a 57. I think I’ll try a 60. I’ll be at low altitudes and flat terrains and I’m a light rider ~150lbs.

I can’t imagine there is much difference between a 59 and 60 jet?

66CA0C2C-F389-497E-B8D1-2168EE0EEE57.jpeg

Chip Barringer /

Its a A35.

33C680B1-6BA4-469E-AC36-99F960448D70.jpeg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Flat w 4 holes on intake is Reedblock 2 w rounded intake is piston port. A35 is just the basic engine model. The cylinders are differing according to option and year

Don't run without an air/dust filter. It will eat your cylinder and rings.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Don a metal disk and a t shirt or panties works fine and its under and facing the opasite way and if its reed it will collect on the reeds. I have my sideshot open on the kitted bike all year salt road dust

I get a whole year on a cylinder/ringer.

First ring is chrome and its a nikisal cylinder.

You would have to suck in something like quartz to even scratch it. And a chunk to fowl a ring on the cylinder ports.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

But the jetting may be more like a 64 for stock w/o airbox.

Kitted 74.

If u want an old school stock oem Bing Encarwi a3 carb w piston port shorty I will give you a deal.

John Joedicke /

Stock 58 kitted 68 on A35.

Chip Barringer /

I’ll snag a picture of the motor today. 99% sure its the in motor/in frame carb as I shattered the original trying to pull it without dropping motor

9B628FA7-D174-4725-BE95-C56267177F07.jpeg

Sorry,Slew......I don't agree. You said ` I get a whole year on a cylinder/ringer.'

A whole year? I get ten years. I have the Tomos foam filter and I clean it and lightly oil it periodically.

I don't enjoy re-ringing like you I guess. To each his/her own.

Chip Barringer /

Believe the air filter wont fit

B43A574C-4796-4F74-A941-5ACE5FEAE6B1.jpeg
99D41DAB-88A7-4714-823A-7C33AA676AF8.jpeg

throw a layer or two of pantyhose or hardware store screen material and call it good. You're still protected buy it will fit under the frame still.

get the black cap n screen filter, its smaller. or get the side shot intake for a35 puts carb on outside..

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I have a sideshot reed intake.

You will have to either mod the sidecover or ditch it entirely.

Chip Barringer /

The new carb actually came with that black cap. In your opinion would be better using the stock in frame airbox or that cap?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I don't really get those who just go ahead and run without an air filter. There's more crap in the air than people think. Pantyhose don't work all that well, the layers move too much and allow grit to vibrate through. Go on treatland, get the little black cap and mesh filter, buy some air filter foam (Treats has it for $1 in a 4x4 square. Amazon and most hardware stores would have something that'd work), rip out all but one of the screen layers and replace that with a circle of foam.

black cap is less restrictive( pull out some but leave a couple screens) than og box. but it will be louder n you always have to rejet.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account