Texas sucked from the beginning An explanation/history of the Texas Moped Desert

Angry Hipster /

So I was thinking about that cool Moped Monday Podcast with Simon and I could only dream of what it must have been like with so many people getting into and riding mopeds in the early days. And how the mopeds would pop up all the time at garage sales and such and I couldn't help but compare it to the "Moped Desert" that is Texas.

I wondered why didn't Texas have the mopeds, they certainly had the money. Were they too busy riding horses? Did the Cowboy boots not fit bicycle pedals well? What gives?

Then I did some research and came across this passage from a 1980 Magazine

txsuck.jpg

So you see the moped was at a distinct disadvantage in Texas from the start. Not only did they require a license, but a separate special moped license on top of a driver's license!!

No other state did that, no one else was that stupid.....

Or corrupt..... I wonder if Texas legislature deliberately sabotaged the moped in order to keep burning fuel and keep oil prices high.

It seems to have worked, there aren't many mopeds in Texas, and the legislature became even worse in the 2010s, now requiring a full motorcycle license complete with a self paid expensive safety course ... and of course Texas is doing it's duty by burning as much fuel as possible with everyone driving giant trucks instead of cars.

Luckily, the laws are so convoluted and dumb that the average cop doesn't understand the idiot laws and ignores what few proper mopeds there are running around.

Forgive me if this post looks familiar as I posted about the Texas Moped Laws in depth awhile back, but this post IS different - It's a Chronicle of Texas Bullshit and an explanation of WHY the "Moped Desert" was created in the first place.

I hope this is appreciated because I have pondered this situation for years and only recently have begun to figure it out. At least now the information is now available to all those who simply search here in the future.

Souce : Kiplinger's Personal Finance Dec 1980

Re: Texas sucked from the beginning An explanation/history of the Texas Moped Desert

Pushrod Fifty /

Read the sentence above that one, says if you don't have a DL, you can take a test and get the moped permit.

Re: Texas sucked from the beginning An explanation/history of the Texas Moped Desert

Angry Hipster /

That's for other states, only Texas required the special endorsement on top of a regular driver's license.

Yep, although the moped license and even the motorcycle license is pretty much a joke. Took mine when I was of age and literary drove a block made two turns, make sure you exaggerate your head looking both ways and that's it. Passed.

Texas is still the moped desert for another reason I think, everything is fucking far away! People always try to grasp how big it is, its 600 miles to another state for me and I live pretty much central texas. Anyone who rides wants to go above 30mph because our highways and roads have high speed limits because again the trip is lengthy.

Screw You, We’re From Texas

> The Dude Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yep, although the moped license and even the motorcycle license is

> pretty much a joke. Took mine when I was of age and literary drove a

> block made two turns, make sure you exaggerate your head looking both

> ways and that's it. Passed.

>

> Texas is still the moped desert for another reason I think, everything

> is fucking far away! People always try to grasp how big it is, its 600

> miles to another state for me and I live pretty much central texas.

> Anyone who rides wants to go above 30mph because our highways and roads

> have high speed limits because again the trip is lengthy.

The distance between stuff was always my guess, there are big cities, but there is a shit-ton of nothing as well, part of the issue could be the permit, as once you had a dl at 16, everyone sold the peds, the appeal of the moped was being able to ride at 15. The test was stupid simple.

Angry Hipster /

I'm not sure of the demographics of new moped buyers, but I would imagine a sizable portion were already older than 15 and probably already even owned a car.

A moped would have been a handy tool during the gas crisis and I'm sure adults bought them.

But in Texas a regular adult driver's license wasn't enough and it would have been a tough sell compared to states where a regular license was enough or places where the moped sales were wide open (ie, Hardware, Drug, Grocery, Bicycle Shops) and it was legal with no license.

I think the mopeds in Texas were more regulated than guns and were stifled heavily by the extra license requirements and that killed the moped sales in Texas hence the "Moped Desert"

The distance between cities wouldn't have much of an effect on Moped sales as they weren't used to travel long distances. The distance between cities serves only to annoy any modern would be moped buyer stuck in the vast "Moped Desert" that is Texas. But it is not the cause of the moped shortage as there are just very few mopeds for sale period, between all the cities.

All things being equal the entire state of Texas should have had a metric fuckton of mopeds if the cities had an equal amount of mopeds sold compared to everywhere else. But even if you added up all of the cities and their mopeds in Texas it wouldn't equal a quarter of a decently populated moped area.

Just few mopeds and great distance between them.

This isn't a post intended to complain though, just to explain the Texas Moped Desert.

Here is a picture I took today, I'm worried the Cow will report me.

puchcow1.jpg

(edited)

When something comes up its usually unaffordable too. Like finding water in the desert but it turns out to be salt water. Minibikes are more of a thing here because in the country the roads are often not patrolled and people ride their minibikes and go karts on the road. Used to do that in the middle of town when in was still a small town, cops put an end to that now that all the yuppies are moving in.

Screenshot_20200123-185744_OfferUp.jpg

Angry Hipster /

Ya, lol when you're in the country you'll see 4 wheelers ripping on the streets too.

Another facet I want to explore is the effects of the fuel crisis itself on the state of texas. They may had access to fuel all along with restrictive moped laws it could have caused the desert situation.

The northerners were making all the big bucks back then and bought them all up before they had a chance to reach texas or arkansas..actually in south arkansas sears allsate was popular for mopeds in early to mid 60's but cushman scooters and eagles were faster and drew more appeal..then early 70's saw the hondas sqeeze them out so what few were here went away..they are very hard to find in south arkansas also..there was a short lived sale of the columbia commuters in the late 70's but didn't last long..we didn't have all the restrictions mentioned about texas..

***Kim Jong illest*** /

> The Dude Wrote:

> When something comes up its usually unaffordable too. Like finding water

> in the desert but it turns out to be salt water. Minibikes are more of a

> thing here because in the country the roads are often not patrolled and

> people ride their minibikes and go karts on the road. Used to do that in

> the middle of town when in was still a small town, cops put an end to

> that now that all the yuppies are moving in.

look at those pictures though. low bars on one, a damn hankie tied around the other one. those were already owned by moped yuppies.

Oh man, I remember at my 2nd rally one of the hells satan's told me to take my bandanna off my moped. Good times, that's some throwback shit.

Very few mopeds have air conditioning. People in Texas freak out if they can't be cool at stoplights.

Probably Fred /

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> I'm not sure of the demographics of new moped buyers, but I would

> imagine a sizable portion were already older than 15 and probably

> already even owned a car.

>

> A moped would have been a handy tool during the gas crisis and I'm sure

> adults bought them.

>

> But in Texas a regular adult driver's license wasn't enough and it would

> have been a tough sell compared to states where a regular license was

> enough or places where the moped sales were wide open (ie, Hardware,

> Drug, Grocery, Bicycle Shops) and it was legal with no license.

>

> I think the mopeds in Texas were more regulated than guns and were

> stifled heavily by the extra license requirements and that killed the

> moped sales in Texas hence the "Moped Desert"

>

> The distance between cities wouldn't have much of an effect on Moped

> sales as they weren't used to travel long distances. The distance

> between cities serves only to annoy any modern would be moped buyer

> stuck in the vast "Moped Desert" that is Texas. But it is not the cause

> of the moped shortage as there are just very few mopeds for sale period,

> between all the cities.

>

> All things being equal the entire state of Texas should have had a

> metric fuckton of mopeds if the cities had an equal amount of mopeds

> sold compared to everywhere else. But even if you added up all of the

> cities and their mopeds in Texas it wouldn't equal a quarter of a

> decently populated moped area.

>

> Just few mopeds and great distance between them.

>

> This isn't a post intended to complain though, just to explain the Texas

> Moped Desert.

>

> Here is a picture I took today, I'm worried the Cow will report me.

> >

A805CC51-A991-489C-A08B-4E17E6A3FA8C.jpeg

Cows around here don’t mind mopeds so I doubt it’s any different by you

9F0AC3DB-6DA1-445D-BFA6-B5A05ADB25C9.jpeg

Pushrod Fifty /

When I was a kid every bike shop sold mopeds, they were everywhere. Bicycles were everywhere too. My little hometown in Mystic, CT had 4 bike shops, selling peds and 10 speeds like crazy. In the early 80s they started clamping down on drunk drivers and mixed the loophole of no license reqd for a moped. That basically made them pretty scarce.

i wanna say low population, and expensive shipping.

Im in Texas and cops dont bother us other than the common "Dang that thing is badass!" or we get thumbs up. We cruise from bar to bar in my town.

They do seem to get bothered by the suuuuper loud regular bikes with Amazon engines though. Might have to do with the trashy shirtless people riding them.

Murdered Out.jpg
Pacer E.jpg

tbh i probably wouldnt have gotten into mopeds if it required a motorcycle license. i have one now, but i likely wouldnt have even started

1980 - the beginning of the decline in mopeds because they were becoming the official DUI-mobile for folks who lost their license so regulations were being put in place to collar the activity.

(same way that today we have those 500w electric scooters/moped/bikes are the faves of active substance abusers for transportation as well as sources of low income for the theifed and rattled can "Craigslist no questions asked" cheapo deals)

I reckon I will have to ask about that moped liscense the next time i am in the dmv.

there seem to be quite a few mopeds in the metroplex here at a reasonable price.

what i hate is trying to get a title for them in the state,what a pain. I bought one from missouri and had a notorized bill of sale and have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a title.

Angry Hipster /

Hey Kevin, coincidentally I just made a post about this on FB. I kept raising hell and the laws were revised October 2019, here is the link Moped laws

Regular drivers license, inspection, registration is what's needed now.

Texas is now moped friendly!! (edited)

I probably will be the only one disappointed,I was so looking forward to getting my moped endorsement along with my motorcycle liscense endorsement. Everyone including the cops just ignore me anyway. I stopped to help a guy on one of those chinese scooters one time,he road the thing on the shoulder between arlington and euless for his job and no one bothered him, they would just wave.

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> I'm not sure of the demographics of new moped buyers, but I would

> imagine a sizable portion were already older than 15 and probably

> already even owned a car.

>

> A moped would have been a handy tool during the gas crisis and I'm sure

> adults bought them.

>

> But in Texas a regular adult driver's license wasn't enough and it would

> have been a tough sell compared to states where a regular license was

> enough or places where the moped sales were wide open (ie, Hardware,

> Drug, Grocery, Bicycle Shops) and it was legal with no license.

>

> I think the mopeds in Texas were more regulated than guns and were

> stifled heavily by the extra license requirements and that killed the

> moped sales in Texas hence the "Moped Desert"

>

> The distance between cities wouldn't have much of an effect on Moped

> sales as they weren't used to travel long distances. The distance

> between cities serves only to annoy any modern would be moped buyer

> stuck in the vast "Moped Desert" that is Texas. But it is not the cause

> of the moped shortage as there are just very few mopeds for sale period,

> between all the cities.

>

> All things being equal the entire state of Texas should have had a

> metric fuckton of mopeds if the cities had an equal amount of mopeds

> sold compared to everywhere else. But even if you added up all of the

> cities and their mopeds in Texas it wouldn't equal a quarter of a

> decently populated moped area.

>

> Just few mopeds and great distance between them.

>

> This isn't a post intended to complain though, just to explain the Texas

> Moped Desert.

>

> Here is a picture I took today, I'm worried the Cow will report me.

> >

I think the cows will let you slide! ;) I lived in an odd area, I didn't know one adult that bought a moped, except for those that bought them for their kids, the only adults with them I ever saw were Motorhome owners who had them to put around campgrounds, in other countries mopeds were serious transportation, in the US they were sold as an alternative to cars in the fuel crisis when the US had to accept that we were not paying nearly enough for the privilege of personal car ownership. Those that bought them for that soon realized they were not the end all they were sold as, you had to maintain them, work on them, you got wet in the rain etc, we as a society were spoiled even back then, after one winter left with the petcock "on" and the carb gumming up, most were shelved or foisted off on the kids to play with. The free use period was a big deal no dl insurance plates etc. If you needed that why would you have one when you could have a car, then gas got cheap again and yeah...mopeds faded. Just my 2 cents worth, every area was different.

RayRay🐰 Santos /

Shit just changed!

http://www.dps.texas.gov/msb/documents/vdrchart.pdf

A dude from Houston gave a hootn an hollern at some big wigs and made their life hell for a few days

Also for those of you near the Austin area hit us up for ride or some wrenching we get together at our shop every Thursday!

Angry Hipster /

> RayRayRabbit Santos Wrote:

> Shit just changed!

>

> http://www.dps.texas.gov/msb/documents/vdrchart.pdf

>

> A dude from Houston gave a hootn an hollern at some big wigs and made

> their life hell for a few days

Finally my hipster anger has done some good. . . I was PISSED after waiting in their crappy lines just to be rejected.

I posted about it here Moped army hipster anger link

It's funny because in my post I used the same link to their previous VDR Chart, except this time it's a complete 180.

It feels good to do something legit for the moped community since I never do any of meet ups etc

Angry Hipster /
txlaw.jpg

Here is a screenshot of what the webpage used to look like. It was super crappy and made no sense. Class M proper motorcycle endorsement required but if you want you can get the full motorcycle license and then get a restriction to ride a moped?!?!?!

The lady at the head of the DMV - Motorcycle Division kept arguing about it with me and would not understand how it made no sense. I told her several times why even have a moped list, why have an endorsement when it requires a full motorcycle license.

It took more phone calls and emails, and I still can't say for sure it was me but I did raise a decent amount of hell. Kind of like when a certain person on here ripped me off - I raised hell!!!! More so in this case I think because I hated going into that DMV and all of this crap not making sense because various sources from the state itself contradicted itself. It was a texas sized clusterfuck and that DMV had Texas sized lines that moved as slow as Houston traffic, also people smelled really fucking bad, and just overall horrible experience ! 0/10 - would not recommend!!

Angry Hipster /
MopedTest.jpg

As you can see in this screenshot , from TxDPS it appeared that one could simply study the motorcycle test walk into the dmv pass it and get a moped endorsement. This led me to go to the horrible DMV with expectations of getting my moped endorsement. It was extra dumb because then their website had the conflicting VDR chart, which I have shown in the previous post.

It was pretty much a retarded, conflicting, oppressing shit show that led me to waste my time waiting at that horrible DMV - my wife was with me getting her license renewed and she hated being there too. Otherwise I may have been even more pissed if I had made that trip and had the horrible experience, and it all be a complete waste!!

Anyhow here is the current link (Notice the mention of moped endorsement completely absent now) Motorcycle License link

Now the shitshow is over! Future Texas Mopedders will never know the struggle. (edited)

Good 1!

Cops around here cared for about 2 years. It’s a lot of fun riding old toys on the street legally.

Can’t ride any other thing without getting fqt with. They were trying to pass the 4’ flag moped law in the city. Have a 4’ stick with an orange safety flag but no insurance or plates. Ha!

Pushrod Fifty /

CT DMV is bad, but this sounds worse.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account