Hone for cylinder rebore?

Pushrod Fifty /

I have had cylinders shop bored using a Sunnet hone. It is basically an indexed 4 stone fixed hone for precice sizing and surface finish.

I found this kit on ebay and amazon for the price of one one honing job, about $75.00. It is similar to a Sunnet hone, which is a production grade tool. Sizes vary, but a 34mm to 60mm range unit is available. Has anyone tried this?

Besides the hone, you will need a 1/2" heavy duty hand drill, setup to hold the cylinder, honing oil, bore gauge or telescopic ID gauge with micrometer.

I have 3 cylinders to be bored and another that I soft seized and havent looked at yet. All the other stuff needed I can get ahold of.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PW7L46V/

Re: Hone for cylinder rebore?

You should use a ball hone instead, pucks can get caught in the ports. I bought this one off of Amazon for my DT50LC and it worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XUL0IQ/

You just have to know the bore of the cylinder you wanna hone. In this case The hone was a little bit bigger than the cylinder but that's okay as long is it's not like crazy huge, you can just mildly compress it with a screwing motion to fit it. Again, it shouldn't be too much bigger than the bore though

nothing beats a rigid hone for cleaning up the bore. flex ball hones will not retrue concentricity/circularity and they will also chamfer the heck out of your ports in ways you do not intend.

facing the same challenges as OP i went with the lisle 16000 off amazon. make sure you check min bore size as you may need alternate stones for narrow bores. i successfully brought back a polini 45mm/63cc can via a 0.4mm overbore using the 16000. then i soft seized the kit AGAIN and since i hadn't adjusted the hone setting i had it cleaned it up in 30 seconds. saw high spots get cut back, the aluminum skidmark was gone, and it reintroduced a beautiful hatch in the ring area. if you can get to both "ends" of the cylinder be sure to run it through both ways with full strokes to reduce taper (i saw about 0.05mm). i chose to keep the stones dry but it seems to be a matter of personal choice.

hth

ken

Honing and boring, although similar actions, are not the same

Powerseal or Millennium

I prefer Millennium

https://www.millennium-tech.net/ (edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

This type of hone is used for rebore to next piston size, .010" diameter over. I have had it done with a Sunnet hone, which is identical to the one I linked. For initial metal removal, the coarse stones are used and then switched for the fine stones for final surface finish and size. The glatness and length of the stones prevent port snag.

> river 2strokes Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Honing and boring, although similar actions, are not the same

taking a dozen or so thou off my cast iron cylinder took about a half hour, checking constantly, and the outcome exceeded my expectations.

it never could be done in a garage with simple tools without a rigid hone.

technically you're right in that a true bore job means machine shop, but for this kind of stuff bore vs hone is a matter of degree.

I dislike the ball hones for anything more than a slight deglaze. having used both I only bought a rigid which does it all.

That hone should work good for what you want to do. We use a different set of stones for the sunnen on two strokes because of the interrupted cut from the ports.

I'm not exactly sure what is different about them but I should check - i think they have a leading edge. might be worth looking into.

honing will get you oversized, round, and straight as long as you remember that it is only a tool, so it up to you to pay attention. skirts will cut slower because they aren't supported and flex out, among other little inconsistencies. so you might have to spend more time there.

let it cool down before final measuring, honing produces a lot of heat.

Boring will get you perpendicular, and potentially centered, but if you start with a decent jug, then the hone shouldn't wander too much.

just backing up what other have already said - except I would definitely use honing oil.

good luck, John!

There is a guy on ebay that does rebore, hone, and chamfer for $49. Almost not worth doing yourself

Pushrod Fifty /

Hey Jumpsuit! Yea as long as you have a decent cylinder it will maintain the centerline. I think will try it. Have to make a base to hold the cylinder and mount a pail under it to hold the honing oil, plywood and studs should do. If the hone dips into the oil with each pass, it should flush the particulates out and keep it cool. I have access to micrometers and telescopic gauges. Tje 45.00 ebay deal sounds good but the killer is shipping costs for cast iron jugs. I have a guy in RI I can send them to and it's about 75.00 per jug but another 30.00 to ship both ways. I have 4 jugs to do.

> jumpsuit steve Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> skirts will cut slower because they aren't supported and flex out, among

> other little inconsistencies. so you might have to spend more time

> there.

i was able to wrap a large hose clamp around the skirt area to bolster it against the outward pressure of the hone. it made a pretty big difference to my surprise.

Pushrod Fifty /

I'll try that, thanks.

Pushrod Fifty /
20200122_145344.jpg

Talking with a guy I work with about this, he led me to a Sunnen hone that we have! The bad is that the Mandrels are too small for a cylinder.

duuuuuuuuuuude

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Semi truck brake. Cylinder hone tool.

I feel like a dumbass, I read it as rehone not rebore. Yeah don't try to use the flex hone/ball home for boring over. You'd probably be best off finding a machine shop nearby to do it cheap and fast

You can do it with that set on a drill press and do a reasonable job for street use. I have a lot of toolage from India and the quality is as good as the better China quality. Dont expect to be building a race prepped engine with those stones at home with a drill press and a good solid vice, but excellent is you are doing R&D for a race bike or keeping yours on the road for thousand more kilometers.

JUST dont think of using it to rebore your plated bore cylinders because trying to get the replating done will far exceed the cost of replacing the jug... just saying...

Pushrod Fifty /

Mine are cast iron. I need to do 4. The skirts are very short and beefy. Im looking at the economics of it all. The honing oil is $30 a gallon not incl shipping. Puts the total at $150. for the hone, xtra set of stones, and honing oil. Maybee I can get a volume discount from my machinist dude.

I kniw about the nicrome cylinders.

I've never used honing oil in all the jugs I've done .

It seems you could use water , if nothing else were available .

I use cheaper bandsaw cooling oil that is miscible with water 50/50 and let the run off drip through a cheesecloth filter into a 5 gallon bucket for reusing.

Pushrod Fifty /

I was thinking about water mix machine tool coolant. Will keep the hone cool. Can be filtered out and reused.

Good deal

Screenshot_20200127-072724_craigslist.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account