Need new spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my RD50 finally. I was replacing the wheel bearings, and preparing to swap tires and clean the whole wheel, when I noticed that on the rear wheel, many of the spokes were not tight and also seemingly bent, and the nipples were really rusty. Figured now was as good a time as any to learn how to re-lace a spoke rim, and I'd get shiny new nipples and spokes to make the rim look nice.

Problem is, I can't find spokes with the correct bend in them. These spokes have a shallow 10 degree bend on the hub end, while all the ones I can find affordably on treats, ebay, etc have 90 degree bends. I have a few options as far as I can see..

-clean up, straighten, and re-use the spokes i have now with new nipples

-buy 180ish mm maxi spokes, which are correct dimensionally, and unbend the ends with heat. Only fear I have with that is possible weakening/fatiguing the metal and having them snap on the road

-pay $100+ for custom spokes

-find the correct spokes that I dont need to unbend

Does anybody know of a place to get the spokes i need, for say, less than $50 for 36? Maybe somebody knows of a wheel from a another bike that uses the same spokes, and is readily available?

They need to be 180-182mm long total length, (subtract 8-10mm for the bent section, I think spokes are measured from the start of the bend to the threaded tip?) 2.85-2.9mm diameter, or 10 spoke gauge. Thanks in advance

20200118_224503.jpg

Re: Need new spokes

Rather than undoing a 90° , why not use a straight pull spoke and bend the 10° ?

Re: Need new spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Rather than undoing a 90° , why not use a straight pull spoke and bend

> the 10° ?

Forgot to list that as an option..lol.

I can't find any in the correct diameter/length. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? (edited)

Re: Need new spokes

The bend in a spoke is measured from the bottom so yours is 160/170 degrees, that might help your search.

Re: Need new spokes

Brandon, try Myrons Mopeds. Just did a quick scan. Did not see Derbi listed. But Shaun has quite a comprehensive list of spokes. Might be worth a look.

Re: Need new spokes

Pushrod Fifty /

Try Yamaha, they may be able to get them for you. There are some spoke makers online, I have brought custom ones.

Re: Need new spokes

Try bike bandit. Moose Racing makes a straight pull with a slight bend. But I'm not sure of the size.

Re: Need new spokes

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Wheel manufacturer

?

Re: Need new spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

At the end of the day i decided to clean up and re-use all the old spokes. After a comprehensive de-rusting, wire wheeling, polishing, and straightening, they look nice enough. It just wasn't worth my time searching for new spokes for hours and potentially spending almost $100 when i could use that time to get the bike ready with what i had.

Re: Need new spokes

Even better!

Re: Need new spokes

Hey Man! you made a good decision! I decided to respoke my Peugeot wheels and that ended up turning into a huge headache. at the end of the day, I had spent a ton of money on several types of spokes and nipples and hours of hassle to get what I needed. I ended up buying custom cut spokes from a supplier and the finished product is nice but for the amount of time effort and money I put into doing it I might as well just have gone out and bought some mags.

Re: Need new spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Caleb Walker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey Man! you made a good decision! I decided to respoke my Peugeot

> wheels and that ended up turning into a huge headache. at the end of the

> day, I had spent a ton of money on several types of spokes and nipples

> and hours of hassle to get what I needed. I ended up buying custom cut

> spokes from a supplier and the finished product is nice but for the

> amount of time effort and money I put into doing it I might as well just

> have gone out and bought some mags.

yeah, its more of a "rustoration" than a full restoration. as long as things look decent and function i'm happy

Re: Need new spokes

cough up the cash for buchanans

http://www.buchananspokes.com/

Re: Need new spokes

Dirty30 Dillon /

^^^

Bookmarked, those prices are very reasonable

Re: Need new spokes

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^^^

>

> Bookmarked, those prices are very reasonable

hard to beat. ship them your whole light duty wheel and they'll lace it and true it with brand new spokes for $84

Re: Need new spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ^^^

>

> >

>

> > Bookmarked, those prices are very reasonable

>

> hard to beat. ship them your whole light duty wheel and they'll lace it

> and true it with brand new spokes for $84

Wow, that's actually very reasonable! I looked at their site before, it was the first thing I found when searching for spokes...I saw a price chart that would have put a spoke set for my wheel at just over $100, didnt see anything about replacing and trueing. If I could rewind, I would send them my wheel for $84....but alas, I've already put in a good amount of work refurbishing the original spokes. I'll lace it myself and bring it to the bike shop down the street for trueing. (edited)

Re: Need new spokes

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > ^^^

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Bookmarked, those prices are very reasonable

>

> >

>

> > hard to beat. ship them your whole light duty wheel and they'll lace

> it

>

> > and true it with brand new spokes for $84

>

> Wow, that's actually very reasonable! I looked at their site before, it

> was the first thing I found when searching for spokes...I saw a price

> chart that would have put a spoke set for my wheel at just over $100,

that's probably thick gauge stainless

Re: Need new spokes

You can pick a lot of different options from Buchanan’s they’re great.

I’m sending them my powdered Derbi rear and they’re making new spokes to fit the Excel I’m using. They’ve been doing this for forever so they can make different swaged spokes in the event you need larger nipples like for dimpled excels etc. really really good work from them. Once they get your hub, I usually get the stuff back I’m a week.

Re: Need new spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Lawrence Au Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can pick a lot of different options from Buchanan’s they’re great.

>

> I’m sending them my powdered Derbi rear and they’re making new spokes to

> fit the Excel I’m using. They’ve been doing this for forever so they can

> make different swaged spokes in the event you need larger nipples like

> for dimpled excels etc. really really good work from them. Once they get

> your hub, I usually get the stuff back I’m a week.

If you don't mind me asking, what are they doing to your powdered wheel, and how much do things typically cost you with them?

Re: Need new spokes

Pushrod Fifty /

This rim was nasty but I cleaned it up to look pretty good. I do this for all of my barn find rims:

I use rust remover gel on the spokes and aluminum cleaner gel on the hub, applying with an acid brush. After a few rounds with those, I rinse and scrub with dish soap. Then clean it all with #0000 steel wool. The steel wool does a nice shine on the rim. Then with a small bottle of Krylon silver artists paint and a few sizes of artists brushes I do the spokes, 2 coats. It dries fast, I think its laquer. Has a matte look just like original plating and has lasted on all of the rims I have ever done. Then, with the same silver paint but I mix 50/50 with the same brand but gold, I do the nipples most of the time. Finally, I tape off the rim on both sides and clear coat it.

20200124_103718.jpg

Re: Need new spokes

That's dedication painting the nipples!

Re: Need new spokes

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That's dedication painting the nipples!

But , without good nipples , the rest isn't worth a lot . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account