The cost of rebuilding a moped motor????

Richard Eberline /

New crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, kit with head. intake, carb, cdi ignition, drive sprocket and exhaust pipe. Here is a group to estimate the cost.

Tomos A35

Puch E50

Minarelli V1

Motobecane AV7

Sachs 505/D

Its out of control, hundreds.

Re: The cost of rebuilding a moped motor????

If its just about the cost of parts I'd say fill up your electronic "shopping cart" and let us know.

Richard is one of the true experts on this forum. As best I know, he's rebuilt 4 of those brands of motors in the year and a half that I've known him. I dont know if he's done a Sachs during that time.

What he's done for me has been mostly stock, and this list of parts points toward performance. New parts are pretty much controlled by the vendors, so if you can work out an arrangement or purchase during a sale, all those prices can be figured out by filling up the basket at each vendor's website.

Are you suffering from sticker shock or wondering what you should charge for labor?

This guy misses nothing on a rebuild and almost always goes above and beyond. If you are like me and don't rebuild your own motors, his rebuilds are fantastic.

It all depends, I just built an av10 euro that can probably reach 60mph pretty dam easy for about $700 w/the bike. I already made $300 back off parts and still have two rolling maxis I got with the purchase and an entire box full of motobecane , and puch parts.

I’ll probably almost make all my money back and still have the bike to keep enjoy and sell later in life for good profit :)

I got a complete puch sport maxi with snowflakes that I’m being payed to ride around. I got two maxis for $200 and a bunch of parts and a spare za50. I sold the za and some parts & made $300 lol.

Mopeds the only motor sport I’ll ever make money @

Treats has a range of Polini kits for Minarelli, the most expensive being in the 500's and that is without a CDI. Add a couple hundred more for that and it's above $800. Throw in the cost of the bike, and you've spent a good grand or more. It's a labor of love because nobody wants to pay that when you try to sell. It can be a heartbreaking hobby.

Look at the raw components for what they are, consider the production volumes, and compare it to the automotive industry, and it’s a miracle this shit is even in existence. Much less at the price it is.

You think Polini is getting rich off Puch 64cc kits, no way

That said, this question is kinda vague, you can spend $150 and rebuild an E50 or $1000, depending on what path you take

Overpriced Parts /

Yep Richard Eberling master rebuilder of those and most times he does them as a loss! Plus he delivers engines and bikes all over for next to nothin, at bike build get togethers/party’s he’s sweatin fixing peoples bikes, Great guy, he cares/is great for moped Community!

I did a Puch E50 for under 200 didnt buy a new crank, had to buy a new case though

64377807_10158507208242926_1560413652165591040_o.jpg

You'd be surprised how many engines respond to simply replacing only the seals, gaskets and piston rings. Not a really big deal to me if I have to go at it again. I like rolling the dice on reusing crankshafts. There are exceptions though...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Kind of makes the 2g zundapp w 75 mi on ebay look like a deal even with the 1400 dollar shipping from Spain...

Most oems about a c note. Gaskets bearings needle bearing clutch disk material ECT. Kits add about 150. This is just parts you'll never get billable man hours back or even storage.

Storage... I mean even at 10% floor space just a 10th of the rent since 1977...

If you are in it for the money. Triple stacked uninsured/underinsured. Comprehensive and collision. Then just go about your moped life knowing you got better than house odds that you will be able to buy ten more once you recover... Not if but when some soccer mom in a green Honda oddessy yelling at her life partner on the cell phone takes a unsignalled left turn at a yellow light or a teen anger rips out of a side street then skids to a stop halfway into traffic with his styling Mitsubishi...

My name is ________.

I have a problem that effects almost all my life's activities....

It started with wind up balsa wood planes and worked it's insideos web of addiction into my life.

Mopeds are not a victimless crime...

rebuild everything, new bearings/seals every time at minimum, lots of stock cranks are decent but I rarely keep them

It costs what it costs to play, and like it was said above, these are old and technically obscure machines, just having the parts available is a blessing, thanks Satan

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> rebuild everything, new bearings/seals every time at minimum, lots of

> stock cranks are decent but I rarely keep them

>

> It costs what it costs to play, and like it was said above, these are

> old and technically obscure machines, just having the parts available is

> a blessing, thanks Satan

Unless it's a Jawa. They run almost forever...

> Frank Bailey Wrote:

> > Toledo Riot Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > rebuild everything, new bearings/seals every time at minimum, lots of

>

> > stock cranks are decent but I rarely keep them

>

> >

>

> > It costs what it costs to play, and like it was said above, these are

>

> > old and technically obscure machines, just having the parts available

> is

>

> > a blessing, thanks Satan

>

> Unless it's a Jawa. They run almost forever...

or maybe they are all just pristine thanks to their ignitions failing to early in life for them to get roughed up lol

PS: you best not be hiding in Florida during out winter event ya old snowbird

Yes, well, there's that too...

Well when I think of my past indulgences, drugs, drink, wild women, having fun learning to work on and ride an old mopeds isn't that expensive.

^ This, right here! I don't even like to work on them, if you can find an un-molested bike, it usually does not take much to get it going, but these are getting more rare by the year, get a good one, STORE it right, and it will lat longer than you will want to ride it. No matter the cost of a rebuild, you will not rebuild much for less that will provide as much transpo/fun quotient.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Les B. Wrote:

> Well when I think of my past indulgences, drugs, drink, wild women,

> having fun learning to work on and ride an old mopeds isn't that

> expensive.

I've never indulged in those and don't plan to, but whenever I think I'm spending too much time/money on mopeds I justify it with that fact

it doesn't matter i have rebuilt over the years the shipping is what always killed me.

because i'm dumb. and would get a lot of shit .... but forget something... or start the build and want something little tomorrow..... or jetting and blah blah blah

thank god i love treats because i threw stupid xtra costs at them because i became impatient

Can you explain more about making money selling mopeds. I bought my first moped for 150.00 kitted it for about 300.00 more for intake cylinder piston and exhaust. Once it's complete I'm not sure where to sell it for a profit.

paint it black

list it as ONYX ANALOG

Dirty30 Dillon /

Lol, good luck making money selling mopeds. It's a hard knock life.

Robert Linhares /

IF you are LUCKY enough to get Richard Eberline to work on any motor consider yourself blessed!

Just like Trent Anderson commented on the above remarks I concur.

Richard re-built my Minarelli V1. I live in Connecticut and mailed the engine to his home. He mailed it back. And yes, I over engineered the packaging=no breakage!

I kidded Richard the engine was running inside the box...it was so easy to get started!

a business question from a rebuilder? parts are parts, the real question is...

how much is a full rebuild worth...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Blueprinted case matched ported custom matched carb/ pipe combo cdi upgrade from 3 point stator mount to hpi w/ programmable curve. Hybrid lighted bell and modded clutch 49cc to 80cc.

Just buy a car...

I guess it depends on how you define "rebuild". I'd call what you're describing a full build, which of course costs more. A rebuild to me is freshening everything up and replacing only what's needed to run well, like bearings and seals plus maybe some rings or whatever. That's cheap.

As far as cost, it's bout the same (brand-to-brand) to do basic bearings/seals/gaskets/rings. The sky's the limit from there, no mater what brand you're trying to take to that 60mph level.

Are you kidding?? Richard's a friggin' anal-retentive pain in the ass.....(couldn't resist buddy)

SERIOUSLY, Richard is exactly the guy you want to rebuild your motor (he's also a lot of fun to hang out and party with), he does it like it's going to have a life of 100k miles. He did my Sabre motor and it's as smooth as (I'm sure) it was brand new.

I have now spent a couple vacation stints with Richard as a guest/moped-building partner, and my own skills/knowledge have elevated to another level.

I agree with Mr Roff, He's a real treasure to the vintage moped/bike "cult". If the know-it-all brats that can't use a torque wrench would stop frustrating him, maybe he'll continue to share his skills for years to come.

mobyrichardzathumbnail.jpg
mobyrichardzcthumbnail.jpg

I rode behind Richard's Moby that Ken and he restored and kitted at the last Mopitt Rally. Together, they are quite the team.

We usually bill 3-6 hours depending on what all we are doing. 80/hr is our rate. Parts are usually around the same price unless they’re going full cheapo then it’s like 75% labor 25% parts.

Pushrod Fifty /

Moby, awesome good handling at 35 but to take further I would want to lace in a CM185 front hub to have the brakes to back me up and the extra 3lb of weight to lower the upsprung weight.

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> We usually bill 3-6 hours depending on what all we are doing. 80/hr is

> our rate. Parts are usually around the same price unless they’re going

> full cheapo then it’s like 75% labor 25% parts.

Pretty good prices for a shop when most motorcycle shops charge more and then know nothing about Mopeds, most times your moped comes back worse than it was to begin with!

Like many people who went to a motorcycle shop to get a aftermarket exhaust pipe put on their Moped or small 2t motorcycle and the motorcycle mechanic would say where is the “jet kit” for it? I worked on many a seized moped (mostly tomos) that had a pipe put on by a motorcycle shop,

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account