Best Method to Remove Spray Paint

Before it was mine, Some goon spray painted the tank of my Free Spirit with cheap dollar store Krylon, two colors, no prep. How do I get it off without ruining the nice, silver paint underneath?

A2586955-C5CD-4AFB-932F-E5E36C218B10.jpeg

Re: Best Method to Remove Spray Paint

gasoline?

john cervini /

I've had good luck with brake fluid and 0000 steel wool and rags. I did a tomos that had been spray bombed black some years ago. I'll see if I can find my old post.

Why not simply strip it and repaint it correctly ?

Aircraft paint remover and you'll have clean metal .

Acetone removes shitty paint really easily. Might also remove good paint really easily though, I've never tried it on good automotive paint

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why not simply strip it and repaint it correctly ?

>

> Aircraft paint remover and you'll have clean metal .

Because he said right there in the first post he wants to leave the nice silver paint that’s there.

> Peter Fondue Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Why not simply strip it and repaint it correctly ?

>

> >

>

> > Aircraft paint remover and you'll have clean metal .

>

> Because he said right there in the first post he wants to leave the nice

> silver paint that’s there.

But , that ain't gonna happen .

The 'nice' silver paint is likely in the same condition as the frame paint .

Dirty30 Dillon /

Alcohol and a rag, be gentle

I had a Honda xl70 that someone had painted over the tank. I got it off with gasoline and then acetone for the tough spots. The gasoline didn't seem to phase the factory paint but the acetone did make it a bit soft, so I had to be gentle.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Alcohol and a rag, be gentle

Yea probably your best bet!

The cheap spray paint should come off pretty easy.

If it was me, I would sand it smooth, lay a thick primer down, sand that smooth then paint. Probably worth it plus rattle can painting is fun.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Alcohol and a rag, be gentle

^^^ This

Gasoline also works. Be patient.

Gas brazi!! That cheap paint should come off way before the clear coat on the factory paint will ;)

start with a diluted acetone mixture and gently work the areas of spray paint with a soft art sponge until all paint is removed, this should take you only about 2 or 3 months of delicate, precise work with varying concentrations of acetone and water

OR

strip it all down and repaint it in a few hours over a couple days

Andrew Squiggman /
5E2C89AB-C323-40D5-9838-207E196E684A.jpeg

Gas or brake fluid work great. or some reducer like I had laying around. I stripped of a complete set of Moby leg shields that someone painted pink. The beautiful silver paint was perfect underneath. Don't listen to the Boomer nay sayers that say it can't be done. It's easy. Just a bunch of paper towels and a green scrubby and an hour or two in front of the tv and you'll be good to go.

Overpriced Parts /

If gasoline don’t work try Walmart brand brake parts cleaner on a rag, A little at a time then wipe with WD-40 on area quickly you already hit sometimes works without damage to the 40 year old paint underneath, try it on the inconspicuous part of the tank

Yea ty and blake both tried on different spraybombed bikes. it takes forever. I think we even tried using carb cleaner and starter fluid. it takes so long though and you're probably just stuck with whatever crappy paint's under there in the end, i'd just strip it and repaint it if i cared, or just flat out paint over it entirely if i didnt

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Yea ty and blake both tried on different spraybombed bikes. it takes

> forever. I think we even tried using carb cleaner and starter fluid. it

> takes so long though and you're probably just stuck with whatever crappy

> paint's under there in the end, i'd just strip it and repaint it if i

> cared, or just flat out paint over it entirely if i didnt

I don’t know, I completely saved a silver magnum tank that was spray bombed black in about a hr,

It was 9/10 when done

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> If gasoline don’t work try Walmart brand brake parts cleaner on a rag, A

> little at a time then wipe with WD-40 on area quickly you already hit

> sometimes works without damage to the 40 year old paint underneath, try

> it on the inconspicuous part of the tank

That’s freakin hilarious. About 2:00 this morning, I’m cleaning on the bike with a rag, soaked in Walmart brand brake cleaner. The tank was laying on the bench. I got up to do something, tossed the rag on the bench and walked away. The rag landed on the tank. I came back ten minutes later, picked up the rag and the paint was bubbled up. It scraped right off with a plastic putty knife. Just did a small area. Not sure yet the extent of damage to the factory paint, if any. I haven’t looked in good light. It will probably be more trouble than it’s worth, though, to do a good job. But I have time, it’s winter.(edited)

maybe anti-graffiti remover? its supposed to leave the og paint there while taking of spray paint

494K90_AS01.jpeg

Nice one

Pushrod Fifty /

Graffiti remover fits the bill. If not some of that new formulation paint thinner may take it off with time. It has a creamy comsistency and is safe even for the planet. Put the tank in a plastic bag and pour the stuff over it, massage it around once in a while. Rinse with soapy water. I just cleaned a pod filter with it and it was just aggressive enough to clean off the oil and crud without chemically screwing up the foam.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I second the graffiti removal stuff I used it when I fixed pay phones and jesus takes everything off but I think it's just a mixture of citric acid and Dura Lube

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

Liquor thinner works good too.

Grease Police

Bruce Zapper /

If you have a can of carb. cleaner, spray some on a terry type rag, you have to work fast! I bought a vespa spray painted black over silver that was perfect! Probably stolen! You will be in good shape if they did not sand the original paint!

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

The black and gray is beautiful. Just leave it.

Here just to drool about the moby leg shields

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account