Am I Lovely? 1974 Ciao With Pics

Here is a couple pics of the 1974 Ciao I just finished.

Before:

32F5A24F-6B6D-47FF-88CC-160EACE525D4.jpeg

Here it is now:

A7148A4C-2468-44E3-B06F-A280C06A2CD8.jpeg

When I picked it up last summer, I called it my “Grubby Little Ciao Baby”. It’s not so grubby anymore! Totally re-wired, headlight & taillight replaced, Rear fender added, all new cables, brakes serviced, bearings greased, Transmission oil changed, tires & tubes replaced, exhaust replaced, new plug, points, condenser & crank seal, clutch serviced, new belt, new plastics, new pedal chain, new petcock, fuel line & filter, carburetor rebuilt, chrome polished by hand with foil, original paint hand-rubbed & polished. Starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

Re: Am I Lovely? 1974 Ciao With Pics

Solid work right there! I bet you're a happy man.

Cristian Luna /

Looking good I love ciaos with all there covers on and the rack is awesome

I love the transformation. It’s my favorite thing about mopeds; taking something old, crusty and cast aside, and giving it a new life.

I still need the plastic cover for the seat spring. I have one in my cart at SMM. I’d like to find a good, original saddle for cheap, but we’ll see.

Looking good! That handlebar is made to hold turn signal - any plans on adding those? Good job!

Thanks Ryan & Cristian, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's an adorable little bike!

> Gle Cas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looking good! That handlebar is made to hold turn signal - any plans on

> adding those? Good job!

Thank you! I know it is, but I'm not gonna put them on. I don't have them, or the rest of the accouterments that go along with them. I re-wired it for no signals, and eliminated the rest. The key is the kill switch, and there's a handlebar switch for lights & horn. This is a low budget build, as I'm planning on giving this bike away to a 16yo neighborhood buddy of mine, if he gets his shit together and passes his drivers license test. Plus I want it to be very simple for him, since this is his first motor vehicle of any type.

What exactly does polishing chrome with tin foil do to remove rust? Is there a chemical reaction between aluminum and chrome? Does it remove nasty, pitted rust? I should probably check the wiki, but I am intriguied as I have a fair amount of rusty rims and handlebars to contend with.

Beautiful build and nice of you to get this to a local kid.

Looks fantastic! Ready for another 46 years! Good on you for giving it to a new rider. Get him a good lock!

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> What exactly does polishing chrome with tin foil do to remove rust? Is

> there a chemical reaction between aluminum and chrome? Does it remove

> nasty, pitted rust? I should probably check the wiki, but I am

> intriguied as I have a fair amount of rusty rims and handlebars to

> contend with.

>

> Beautiful build and nice of you to get this to a local kid.

Aluminum is softer than chromium, and harder than rust. Dip it in water for lubrication. It just makes a safe, non scratch scrubby. It really works great, even on fairly heavy rust. It won’t put chrome back on, but follow with a little wax & buff and you’ll be impressed.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Looks fantastic! Ready for another 46 years! Good on you for giving it

> to a new rider. Get him a good lock!

For Real! Bike thieves are bad here. But I imagine the tweakers are everywhere.

damn nice.....

This was supposed to be a low budget preservation. It cost me over $900 to get it as you see it. All the plastics and fasteners were missing. The Oiler v1 was roached. Added rack, fairing, pipe, bars. Not to mention labor. It’s still missing wire harness, signals, battery. I’ll probably never recoup what I’ve got in it. So I quit and just ride it as is.

12CB3023-F45C-4985-A902-8748C7888C72.jpeg

before

Untitled1.jpg

E1542619-74C9-4626-992C-CC5318EA000D.jpeg

mmm brilliant

Nice work. Mr. "gotta look stock" here approves. Any speed mods?

Thanks guys.

Dang, nice General, Wes!

No speed mods yet. I might do a pipe and carb later on, after he gets used to riding 25-30, but I don’t think Gary’s mom would approve of him ripping around town at 40.

Good job Seth! Looks great. The neighbor kid is a mopeder for life, again good job, great neighbor!

think we have a wiring harness or at least parts for the general LTD

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account