LEAST comfortable moped?

I'm surprised by the actual unity and agreement in the "most comfortable moped" thread. Most people seem to like the top tanks, because lets be honest, they were the top end offerings and had best build, best suspension etc.

Topping that list seems consistently to be the magnum, grande, revival and sebring, with some derbi lovers in there too.

But it still surprised me to see so much general agreement, try asking the best oil and see if you can dodge the shit flying everywhere, slung back and forth with exuberant certainty and unbending stubbornness.

So it got me wondering, is there a universally least comfortable moped?

Comfy seats and good suspension seem to dominate the comfort argument, what's the worst?

Personally I think anyone who's ever had the misfortune of admiring the whackadoodle stylings of the tomos colibri only to be disappointed beyond imagining with the inhuman torture that is trying to ride one could agree those seats are fuck awful. I imagine some rigids like the N, swinger, and 40T should find a place here, alongside the ultra budget garbage like the jawa 207 (dont get me wrong, i love em, but they aint comfy)

whatcha got?

Re: LEAST comfortable moped?

Of all the mopeds I've ridden the Gilera Citta was by far the most uncomfortable, but that's mainly because of the loose suspension. I get seasick on those things.

Overpriced Parts /

Though I didn’t have one for very long the McCulloch engine AMF was pretty uncomfortable as well as any friction drive bicycle type so-called Mopeds,

I don’t like really any saddle seat type bikes either especially rigid ones, if a bike has suspension and comes with a saddle seat and I want to keep it I just change to a long seat but if it’s a rigid most times I don’t even bother with the long seat its just a fixer upper to sell,

Riding an Italjet Kit-Kat is probably less comfortable than riding a large wooden block on 2 wheels. But Kit-Kats are a blast so it makes up for the pain endured

Anything with a skateboard seat that has 0 padding or cover.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable, but typical Maxi frames and equipment are especially confidence shaking in their feel.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Though I didn’t have one for very long the McCulloch engine AMF was

> pretty uncomfortable as well as any friction drive bicycle type

> so-called Mopeds,

>

> I don’t like really any saddle seat type bikes either especially rigid

> d ones, if a bike has suspension and comes with a saddle seat and I want

> to keep it I just change to a long seat but if it’s a rigid most times I

> don’t even bother with the long seat its just a fixer upper to sell,

Ditto on the AMF friction roller moped and the cheap bicycle seats.

yeah AMF or solex for sure, the amf has some kind of subpar 10 speed bike seat thing that is total murder. I've rode solexs with different seats on them so hard to say but the original suspension seats can be pretty good like a brooks saddle.

somehow full rigid ciaos are not bad.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable, but typical Maxi frames and

> equipment are especially confidence shaking in their feel.

^Agreed with this, which is why I've never bought one.

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable, but typical Maxi frames and

>

> > equipment are especially confidence shaking in their feel.

>

> ^Agreed with this, which is why I've never bought one.

Completely disagree ^ depends on the model and maintenance performed, a maxi sport MKII like this type one blows away the stock suspension on a moby, forks are better and coil over shocks are pretty good too, stock bars are very good on your back after seat is set right,

9D9794BE-7D20-4F28-A28C-1025B11CB20C.jpeg

It’s got over 10 years polini kitted and goes 57 on the flat and over 60mph downhill with my 200 lb but I changed the fork bushings, regreased them, tightening every bolt improving loose feel of forks when I first got it, kept the forkbrace and fender,

The rack and other side bars I kept on which strengthens/locks together and improves the frame feel as well as even plastic chain covers add a bid of strength, The turn signals even help hold the bars a little bit firmer,

I modded/lowered the very comfortable 1.5 seat and always check the headstock/tree/fork tube bolts are kept tight because occasionally they will loosen, it also has the greatest brakes, capable of skidding, it’s almost a mini motorcycle

Fully rigid Freespirits are rough on the ass, only the spring seat and minor amounts of foam.

cimatti city bikes are uncomfortable to me. ive got two. i use them for smaller person loaners.

Overpriced Parts /

> ID OD Wrote:

> cimatti city bikes are uncomfortable to me. ive got two. i use them for

> smaller person loaners.

Yep I had two of them soon as i fixed them up I sold them to lightweight teenagers

Terbo Speghetti /

Cosmo colt 3 and 4 models were nice when you got on, but after a ride around the block, your nuts will have been squashed between your body and the tank because of the seat angle.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

Pretty much anything that can with a saddle seat sucks. Callifos come to mind being sketchy, towny, yamahopper feel shaky too

***Kim Jong illest*** /

Pretty much anything that came with a saddle seat sucks. Callifos come to mind being sketchy, towny, yamahopper feel shaky too

9" wheels with hardtail is recipe for disaster. Add a kitted M02, pipe and carb and you have 45mph with shit designed for 25mph. Uncomfortable and dangerous too

Minikid.jpg

Grande seats are too wide for me and my legs numb after about 20 minutes.

Pinto 2 my center of gravity is too high and free spirits give me wedgies.

I got a 1968 AU85 and the single seat feels like it's trying to cram its way up your ass the entire ride. Extremely uncomfortable and the springs in old make it worse. That being said, the bike is not rigid so it could be worse.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ /

I know there are lots of fans, but I think a Vespa ciao, any trim level, is the most uncomfortable I’ve ever ridden. I’ve never not been nervous on a ciao.

oh man, im way too in love with the minis to worry about the discomfort haha.

but yeah fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck a solex. not just being uncomfortable tall and rigid and slow and friction drive and generally just a hard, uncomfortable heavy bicycle, the huge weight of the motor on the front forks trying to flop around and fuck all stability is a monster supreme turnoff from a comfor standpoint.

sad to hear the negatives on the citibike, i've never had one but always wanted one.

saddle seats arent all bad; any time people use a bicycle saddle like a brooks or whatever, or definitely skateboard seats - no thanky. but talkin pure stock, i could go a long time on the generic cushy stock solo seats like a hobbit, moby, pug, sachs whatever. any thinner ones, pinto (not the foam ones, the springs with thin rubber) and moby cheap solo's are pretty awful, jawa solo saddle is fucking total garbage, and even the good AMF's with the minarelli had horrible seats.

as far as bad suspension, well anything rigid is about as bad as it gets, and that seems pretty well agreed upon

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> oh man, im way too in love with the minis to worry about the discomfort

> haha.

>

> but yeah fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck a solex. not just being uncomfortable tall

> and rigid and slow and friction drive and generally just a hard,

> uncomfortable heavy bicycle, the huge weight of the motor on the front

> forks trying to flop around and fuck all stability is a monster supreme

> turnoff from a comfor standpoint.

>

Solexes were designed right after the second world war as a cheap mode of transportation. They were never designed to be fun to ride.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Tomos streetmates/racing TT are the only thing that come to mind when I think of uncomfortable mopeds.

The width of the seat, combined with its stiff foam, hard angles, and forward tilt with the usual low bars, and the super bulky nature of the whole bike with all the plastics combined with it's overall lightweight makes it borderline disorienting, and the most uncomfortable moped I've ever sat on.

2nd place has to go to the standard Puch Maxi. A quality saddle seat and high bars in my opinion feels the most stable, but I've never felt really stable in general doing over 40 on one. And I've tried every combination of seat and bars there is. I can't fault the moped, seeing as it was never designed to do more than 30..but by comparison my tomos LX feels solid over 50mph, like I could easily take my hands off the bars without worry. My LX specifically at least..A55, beefy forks, shocks, tight swingarm, good tires, etc...I've ridden older a35's that felt rickety.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Solexes were designed right after the second world war as a cheap mode

> of transportation. They were never designed to be fun to ride.

oh yea, not disagreeing. they fit their niche. it's just fully failing to align with my interests, it's like a big heavy less efficient bicycle with worse brakes, worse steering, and a shaky garbage motor that'll slow you both uphill and down. I deeply adore oddball and garbage mopeds, and very much appreciate riding even pretty junky bikes, but solex misses me on almost all counts.

I was also just talking about moby 7's recently, i've never ridden one but beyond being a pretty awful seat, small, and rigid rear (with the motobecane twin-pencils for front forks) they're already pretty poised for a shot at least comfy - but add in apparently thin gauge spokes prone to bendiness? oof.

Full rigid kit kat is by far the most uncomfortable thing I've ever ridden considering the geometry doesn't allow you to stand up like at all...

20200114_112631.jpg

45mph single jingle

15790229409507220461470938506822.jpg

^is that able to be carried on? Haha

Depends on the airline some don't allow anything that's ever contained gas.

Honestly I find comfort in stock trim- ‘riding position’ modified bikes I find to be most uncomfortable, a lot of times unrideable

I have made this very mistake myself

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account