Vespa Ciao Plastics Fitment

So, I bought a set of plastics from Treats for a 1974 non-variate Ciao. I ordered the single speed set, and bought the floorboard separately. Here’s my questions:

1) The right hand side cover’s middle mount does not line up. The mounting bolt on the plastic is forward of the coil, while the mounting bolt key way on the subframe is rearward of the coil. See pic. Is this the case with all Ciaos, or just the older ones? I guess I’ll just have to skip the center bolt.

image.jpg

2) What does the footboard attach to? There is nothing to attach it to.

image.jpg

Re: Vespa Ciao Plastics Fitment

Dirty30 Dillon /

You have an early Ciao. The side covers are meant for the more modern era Ciaos.

My early big wheel ciao has a similar placement to yours for the side covers.

IMG_20181206_212821_926.jpg

Because of the age, your model also would have had a bracket that bolted on right above the RH side of the motor to utilize the center bolt-hole in that cover.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4001989

That bracket to be exact.(edited)

I bet that Seth can pretty easily make a hens teeth bracket that will do the job .

And , he's handy enough that he can also make a simple bracket that will allow the use of the middle screw on the side cover . ;)(edited)

Thanks, Dillon. Exactly the info I was looking for. I figured it was an early model issue.

As PD says, I’ll just fab up a footrest bracket, now that I see how it’s “supposed” to be. And if it turns out the side cover rattles with just two bolts, I’ll deal with that the same way.

Oh, I forgot to mention, on the footrest I bought, the notch for the choke lever is on the wrong (left) side. No biggie, I had to cut another on the right. Has any Vespa ever had the choke lever on the left?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Has any Vespa ever had the choke lever on the left?

Yep, all Ciaos after like 88 did, I believe. I know the Ciao PX's, Mix's and Teen Mix's have them for sure.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Has any Vespa ever had the choke lever on the left?

>

> Yep, all Ciaos after like 88 did, I believe. I know the Ciao PX's, Mix's

> and Teen Mix's have them for sure.

Cool. Good to know! Thanks for the info

Haha. Look what I just found on my shelf. Simpson Strong-Tie makes moped parts. This should work nicely for a footrest bracket, with minimal modification.

image.jpg

So here’s my homemade bracket. Turned out just fine, if I do say so myself.

image.jpg

It does a good job of holding the floorboard in place.

On the side cover, I had to cut off the middle lug flush on the inside. It interfered with the coil. But the hole that remains is a great location to run the spark plug wire through.

image.jpg

Here it is all buttoned up.

image.jpg

Great work Seth!

Ha . Looks natural to me . ;)

Ciao Bella!

Looks great, I love it when people use the side covers, makes the bike look so much better, nice ride!

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> Great work Seth!

Thanks, Stephen. I gotta credit you on a lot of the parts for this build. It really turned out nice. I’ll post up pics of the whole bike put together as soon as the weather cooperates for an outdoor photo op.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Looks great, I love it when people use the side covers, makes the bike

> look so much better, nice ride!

Thanks, man! I also love a bike with plastics. Makes it look and feel finished.

Side note: This thing sure is bouncy!

Hard tail at both ends?

It’s a springer, front and saddle. Hit a bump and bounce for blocks!

I have a Motobecane model "7" I'm finally after years of it languishing in my dining room getting it on the road this spring, interested to learn how a hardtail handles.

070.jpg

That’s nice! I like the simplistic, clean look of a hard tail, or full rigid, but age is quickly settling in my bones, and I’m afraid they would be too jarring on my spine, and too easy to dump if I hit a pothole or chicken wrong. (I hit potholes a lot, and chickens on occasion)

Thank you, it was a freebie! I have heard they are easy to dump if hitting potholes...I try to avoid but MN winters are hell on our roads, I like the simple look too, would love a Caio, only seen one irl, and it was sold quick. I will be on the lookout for rouge chickens! :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account