My take on a frame brace

Just finished this morning, didnt ever like how braces never follow any line on the bike so I made my own. 1/4 plate brackets and .065 wall 1 inch tubing. Finally putting my jd2 bender to use.

20200108_093801.jpg
20200108_093809.jpg
20200108_093844.jpg

Re: My take on a frame brace

I'm sure you still get bracing with that design, and while it is sexy, will it hold up on a front end collision or large pothole? I'm sure it will help prevent twisting though.

Physics says it's gonna mush just based on where you put that bend in. Just curious, looks reallllllllllly nice.

The frame will fold before this bar does, far thicker material than the stamped steel frame and being that's its tubing and not a box it's far stronger in that regard. Frame brace is there to keep the flex down, suspension should absorb impacts on potholes.

nice work.....

nice work. i like how you set up the brackets under the seat. in the event of a collision a frame brace isn't gonna save the bike its there to keep torsion down while riding.

snazzy, how does the bender work without mashing tubing?

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's called a mandrel bender, it uses rolling die

My bender, bought it used with 4 die sets from a guy who upgraded to a hydraulic one. This is fine for what I do plus it's the model 32 which will do crazy thick tubing. Plan on fabricating my own magnum frame since they seem to be quite expensive and hard to find in texas.

15786864262898115948512001354312.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

Nice work but the best brace is a welded one

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice work but the best brace is a welded one

Triangulation, yep, I just dont like the look. Wanted to still be able to haul my cooler on the chassis rails. Beer will always be first priority.

so when ya going to sell me one?.....first in line :)....i used to custom bent pipes as a teeny bopper, long time ago.....wished i still had access to that machine.

I can probably whip up a few if anyone is interested.

> The Dude Wrote:

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Nice work but the best brace is a welded one

>

> Triangulation, yep, I just dont like the look. Wanted to still be able

> to haul my cooler on the chassis rails. Beer will always be first

> priority.

^ Bus preservation should be your first priority! :)

Kevin Bishop /

I’d buy one but only if it comes with that seat

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

Looks solid!

> Master D. Baiter Wrote:

> Looks solid!

Maybe . I see one line being followed . I see a new line trying to confuse all others .

Anyway , the construction seems reliable , other than what looks like pop rivets holding the rear plate in place .

It's just mopeds . ;)(edited)

This is better made then the ebrs. Good work! That’s fucking sell able quality right there .

> P D Wrote:

> > Master D. Baiter Wrote:

>

>

> > Looks solid!

>

> Maybe . I see one line being followed . I see a new line trying to

> confuse all others .

>

> Anyway , the construction seems reliable , other than what looks like

> pop rivets holding the rear plate in place .

>

> It's just mopeds . ;)

Looks like the ends of the bolts during mock-up, before the nuts are put on. But maybe pop rivets! ;)

Looks like a painful dick piercing machine.

> baird co Wrote:

> Looks like a painful dick piercing machine.

Maybe the OP doesn't have to worry about a missing scrotum ?

Looks goodly but I would be nervous of the end of that flat piece of bar being so close to being aligned with important body parts

> P D Wrote:

> > Master D. Baiter Wrote:

>

>

> > Looks solid!

>

> Maybe . I see one line being followed . I see a new line trying to

> confuse all others .

>

> Anyway , the construction seems reliable , other than what looks like

> pop rivets holding the rear plate in place .

>

> It's just mopeds . ;)

I threaded the 1/4 inch plate so no nuts needed, not pop rivets.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Thought about a plate along the curve for a bit of added support?

20200108_093809.jpg

I think it’s fine without the gusset. However, My fear is that with the physics and geometry of your design, if you run into something at speed, the brace will fail and fold along the curve or at the weld of the main shaft. This would force the main bar up, causing the rider to impale himself. It could spear right through your lower belly.

Would probably fold under being that the frame would fold like a taco pushing the bar down. Anyway that's why I wear a leather jacket and such. I've gone down on big bikes before and wearing the proper attire is a huge factor on how your gonna come out the other side of a wreck. When I see people riding in short and a t shirt they obviously havent had the pleasure of road rash. The bar is only there to aid the frame in less flex, and it does the job, feels more planted in the corners and shitty pot-holed roads.

i've never really felt the need for a frame brace and kinda like being able to step through a step through, but i am curious - i've never actually had one to compare. i mean i've ridden top tanks vs step thrus and not felt like any identifiable difference in frame stability or whatever but maybe a true side by side would be and interesting comaprison.

anyway, this looks neat and it is definitely handy for lifting the bike

Yeah I've never stepped through a frame like this probably because I grew up riding mini bikes and dirt bikes, I'm just used to swinging a leg over the bike.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account