What is it

They have this listed not too far from me as a 1970 columbia.i have 4 coumbias in the later 70's and tge motor on this one looks totally different and the pedel shaft isn't in the motor..can anybody fill me in as to whatit is..

20200106_105958.jpg

Re: What is it

john cervini /

Looks like a solo odyssey with the water cooled head to me. Pretty useless if I remember correctly.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ooh! Columbia Commuter with a Solo "Water cooled" engine. Has a little jacket around the cylinder filled with coolant. They're pretty good engines. CEV ignition I think. About 30mph with decent torque with the stock 12mm(?) bing. Pretty nifty little things. Nifty little pipes too. I'd like to put one on something...(edited)

He later posted a pic of what it is supposed to look like fixed up but is not the one for sale ..the sale one is missing a few parts ..

20200106_105945.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's the Solo motor. I would not buy a Columbia of either variety - Sachs or Solo.

Well.in my world it seems columbia must have been about all that was ever sold ..i have some noped hondas and yamaha but in moped all i find is columbia ..if i can talk my wife into it i have thought about running up north and see if i can locate a few pughs or motocambes or what ever .but she thinks i have too many now

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> About 30mph with decent torque with the

> stock 12mm(?) bing.

They had a 10mm Bing

I know all about those, and I can tell you equivocally, stay away from those, they're crap. Bad design, coupled with bad parts=total crap. By the looks of it, the parts it will need are non-existent. If you really must have it, offer $30 tops.

The only good part is the ignition. all bosch

Glad you guys knew about it ..thanks for the advice..i only knew it didn't look like any of the sachs motors i have..i really didn't need it but thought if it was anything worth looking at some of you would know...thanks

i actually like the columbia open road, not sure if its the same but mines got a variator and is real torquey and quiet. Worst thing about it is theres no clutch, totally ghetto, the belt is suppose to slip on bearing on your variator until the motor revs to grip the sides of your belt. Go get that sebring before some one elese does. .

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ah 10mill. The best party about it is the engine. Now the bike is absolute trash

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i actually like the columbia open road, not sure if its the same but

> mines got a variator and is real torquey and quiet. Worst thing about it

> is theres no clutch, totally ghetto, the belt is suppose to slip on

> bearing on your variator until the motor revs to grip the sides of your

> belt.

It is the same. Every piston I have pulled out of one, looked brand new. The water jacket actually works. I ran some insane timing, with it. The clutch/vario design is asinine. The engine spring design, was that the belt tension loosened as you hit a bump (dumb). Unlike Mobys, where you hit a bump, and the belt tension increases. No bearing or bushing on the swing-arm. Just two holes drilled in sheet steel, with a bolt. Any sort of mileage acquired, results in a loosey goosey tail. The petcocks tend to snap off, and the welds between the tube, and the motor mounts, tend to crack. Leaving a very slow seep of fuel, down the frame. The hubs are from outerspace (might as well be), cuz there aren't any brake shoes available. Those of us who have this bike, needs our heads examined.

ColumbiaOpenRoad.jpg

Josiah Radebaugh /

No clutch? Wow, that has solved all of my woes! I was mucking with one awhile back scratching my head as to how the clutch was supposed to work. Might have to revive the bike now!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account