Peugeot CDI and coil fix

Two quick questions for da moped army folks:

- does the Treats CDI for Peugeot and Motobecane have a lighting coil? I assume it does but was wondering because I didn't see it on any wiring diagrams. Heres a link to the one I'm talking about -- https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=peugeot%2DCDI%2Dafter%2Dpartie&CartID=1

Question #2

- Has anybody tried to totally remove all the wire from the original Peugeot ignition coil and rewind it with new wire? you could do this with the original amount of turns for the inner coils and then run a separate secondary ignition coil like Myron suggests or else do the same thing and just add extra windings to create a twelve-volt ignition coil. I was thinking about it the other day and wondered if anybody had tried it and if so what kind of results they got.

Re: Peugeot CDI and coil fix

Yes the treats CDI has a light coil.

I rewind coils all the time. But only for old tv/radio transformers or IF coils. Replacements just don't exist anymore.

Moped stuff on the other hand,Not worth it when you can just buy a new one.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I rewind coils all the time. But only for old tv/radio transformers or

> IF coils. Replacements just don't exist anymore.

>

> Moped stuff on the other hand,Not worth it when you can just buy a new

> one.

If you can make it better , it's worth it . Even if new is available .

You have to know that it's not about the money .

Yeah thats true, this gives me the crazy idea of making my own cdi box outta old radio parts. I could use a mosfet for the triggering circuit, and ferrite core adjustable coils to tune the spark real-time.lol

Use a 120v flyback for high voltage.lol i gotta look into this.

That sounds crazy. Also kind of silly and wicked cool. Put an oscilloscope on it too just for the lulz. Most people just use an arduino to make a cdi box.

And if you use an arduino you can change the timing as you ride. Put a dial on the handlebars!

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Most people just use an arduino to make a cdi box.

I'm just now hearing about this, and have done absolutely ZERO research, but wondering what your opinion on arduino cdi boxes is. because that seems like a game changer to me.

generic cdi's come in four flavors. racing type no rev limiter, stock with rev limiter, ac with a dedicated stator, dc.

not a big deal to wire in a racing dc cdi, you need a battery though.

please don't try to make your own from a flyback transformer. the engineered part costs about 10$

sorry, 6 types. 2t and 4t.

Arduino cdis are fine of that's what your into, but using the Arduino itself on a bike is going to be problematic....your cdi doesn't need WiFi Bluetooth and an Ethernet port...it's basically a breakout prototyping board for an atmel microprocessor. So if you do it just cad a custom pcb with the fewest needed components and make it a finished product. it would only need USB and a few lugs for trigger and power etc.....I should look into this, would anybody buy one? Somebody HAS TO have done this before.

The flyback idea was just a stupid idea to over complicate the thing. Which is kinda what I'm going for if I actually do it. But yeah I have around 20 nos flybacks from various brands. Knowing my luck is end up working on a Zenith that needs it after I fucked the thing up just for shits and giggles. I can't be wasteful with this stuff anymore as parts can be IMPOSSIBLE to find now.

I just turned down a guy that needed(his opinion) a new crt for his philco predicta that I thought was working great for being 60 years old with only a partial recap and polarized plug mod. Why in the hell would I put one of my rebuilt b/w crt's in a good working tv. The dude diddnt understand that an extra 5% of emmision wasn't worth it. It's a curiosity at this point..if it was 15 years ago yeah, I could get his crt rebuilt. Not anymore.

Ok tho Arduino cdi stuff if cooler than I thought. Mars was posting his project here 7years ago. I'm falling down a rabbithole I wasn't looking for.....

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> falling down a rabbithole I wasn't looking for.....

Sometimes , those are the best kind . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account