First time buyer - Is this a good value? Puch Maxi 2 for $1350

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/austin-1979-puch-maxi-2-moped/7046555564.html

Any help and advice at what I should ask and or look at would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: First time buyer - Is this a good value? Puch Maxi 2 for $1350

nope, that's not a good deal

definitely spend some time in the wiki here,

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Main_Page

great introductory info here:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies

and lots of help on buying a 1st bike here:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/First_moped

"Before you even begin looking for a vintage moped, commit yourself to three simple rules.

* I will not buy an exotic, rare, or no-name brand of moped.

* I will not buy a non-running moped.

* I will not pay more than about $600 (unless you're buying a brand-new or nearly-new Tomos, or a very well-maintained moped in a bigger city)"

Decent bike, but price is way out of line. Things to look for, condition of inside of fuel tank, is there the paperwork to register the machine (title) if it is needed in your area.

I would at least want a sparkplug for 1350$

Jack Totty /

Do you think it is still worth about $600? I am looking at it later today but the guy says it runs well and he has done a lot of work to it recently.

I could see 5-600, make sure it starts easy, holds an idle etc, again is there a title, if not and you need one, what kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get one, don't want to buy something you can't ride legally.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I doubt he is going to take $600 for it considering he is asking $1350... granted he is high as a kite for asking that. I think i would cancel the appointment, no sense going to talk to a guy that has no sense.

Sadly deals in texas are hard to find. I got my first maxi from a tweaker so got it for a good price. Try austin mopeds, they sometimes have bikes for sale.

"done a lot of work recently" is not usually a good thing

unfortunately as often as not it really means " barely cobbled together last minute to try to get it to run well enough to get sold"

it's a clean bike, in austin as a first time buyer i might consider it at 600. I paid 800 for my first bike. was it worth that? not really, but do I regret it? not at all.

1k for a mint bike with new tires, cables and nice brakes that you can ride home safely is not a bad deal. That being said my shop wouldn’t be charging over a grand for a stock maxi.

If your willing to travel....

Screenshot_20200103-140832_Samsung Internet.jpg

Probably Fred /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 1k for a mint bike with new tires, cables and nice brakes that you can

> ride home safely is not a bad deal. That being said my shop wouldn’t be

> charging over a grand for a stock maxi.

Well your shop is a bit more fair then most and that’s good you care for the poorer type people which Mopeds basically were invented for, cheap transportation/Low cost, I hate that how the rich and greedy got a hold of this hobby/cheap transportation and ruined it!

keep it weird austin! i keep hearing texas is a moped desert......1350 never ever...take a little stroll through ohio. they're cheeeap here. bring a trailer, people give them away.....

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> 1k for a mint bike with new tires, cables and nice brakes that you can

> ride home safely is not a bad deal. That being said my shop wouldn’t be

> charging over a grand for a stock maxi.

That's also a shop, someone you can trust to have experience and do good work who can also be held accountable. This is like some dude who "just replace cylindr and piston". which to me, is a gamble. new cylinder, vetted bike from shop? yea 1000. maybe depending on location and local markets and amount/quality of new parts maybe up to 1300 even. but rando on craigslist, trusting their work, on a nice looking but very generic and easily available model, 600 maximax

> The Dude Wrote:

> If your willing to travel....

^ Better bike and price.

I agree.. a bike with a new piston and cylinder installed with only 1765 miles on the bike by a backyard mechanic who can't change tires on the bike is a huge red flag. Stay far away from this one. $200 shoud be the top price for this one.

Jack Totty /

Thanks for the advice everyone! He lowered price to $850 and I rode it yesterday, but you're all probably right about it being a gamble. Definitely prefer the Dallas shop deal of course. Any advice on transporting a moped on car? Maybe a ramp for back of the car

Thank god for this website! Y'all rock.

Have a look at this topic for a current discussion of carrying mopeds on the back of a car:

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4319909

Kevin Bishop /

Texas is the moped desert for certain!. There is a guy in Lubbock who hordes them and sells one occasionally. Austin Mopeds sells good bikes and you are not getting one cheaper but you pay for a warranty so that’s good. Get that Kromag pinto for sure, I would at 600

I got my Puch Maxi kitted with less than 100 miles on it for only $400 last October here in Ohio. $1350 is stupid high for a Puch

Ohio is the Mecca of cheap puchs. Nj is for tomos

Probably Fred /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Ohio is the Mecca of cheap puchs. Nj is for tomos

I got quite a bit of puchs including half my personal ones that originally came from NJ or were serviced at one time or another in NJ not Ohio,

Magnums were dropped in 81 and maxi Newport’s made late 81 most times were 1982 models no 1983 models in Ohio caused a gap in authorized shops, a few derbi dealers and other rebranded bikes tried fill the gap/be imported but by then many regulations were put on mopeds,

Some 84 puchs came in but almost 1985 when stocked and sold, some 1985-86 puch maxi LS and cobras were stocked sold mostly 1986-87 years but by mid 80s Ohio moped laws got dumb/regulations the whole moped store Scene got expensive/bad investment,

Most used cars and motorcycles were cheeper, moped stores/dealers and shops dropped like flies, some motorcycle dealers would have obscure brands of Mopeds but not being an authorized puch dealers most times no puchs unless leftovers from closed shops but east coast states and NJ combined have way more a Puchs/mopeds in general then Ohio and now Ohio is pretty much dried up of puchs in good condition,

You will find more tomos for sale here now because they were made/sold up to 2013

And then a few more newer models these last few years,

Hope you gotta big trunk, cause I'm gonna put my moped in it...... I have a crown victoria and hauls a ped no problem, stick the rear in and let the front forks hang over the bumper. I'd love to get that pinto myself but dont need another bike, running out of room in my guest bedroom for storage.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account