PA50II idle issues

My 1980 PA50II was running decently until a couple days ago. It doesn't want to idle. I've tried messing with the idle adjustment, but turning up the idle speed doesn't help. Once I'm running, the bike is fine. When I come to a stop then it dies. If it doesn't die it still bogs way down when I give it gas.

I'm guessing it's a dirty carb judging from past posts I've read. I've never cleaned out a carb before so I'm kind of scared to rip it all apart. Is there an easier way rather than hoisting my ped up and dissecting it?

Thanks.

Re: PA50II idle issues

GK wrote:

Is there an easier way rather

> than hoisting my ped up and dissecting it?

........ No ....

... and after you do it... make sure you put a good inline fuel filter on it... I can't say for sure which is good... I do know that the TWO I have on mine are not good enough !

One is an all plastic one with tiny slits the gas flows thru ... the other is plastic with a copper-looking "mesh" that the gas flows thru... with these two.. it took the longest it ever took to clog a carb orifice... but clog it did.. (2 days ago)

I now have to investigate a better small inline gas filter... maybe a paper type... (with smaller holes for the gas to flow thru?... maybe that will stop the 'rust dust')

> ........ No ....

>

> ... and after you do it... make sure you put a good inline

> fuel filter on it... I can't say for sure which is good... I

> do know that the TWO I have on mine are not good enough !

I was afraid of that.

I guess I'll just have to man up and do it then. It doesn't have any sort of fuel filter on right now, so I was planning on adding one anyway.

I'll re-read your hoisting instructions and dissect it then.

Thanks.

it's hoisted up

Just trying to figure out the correct way to remove the carb now. In a previous post you mentioned 4 reed valve screws. I see two bolts towards the top, but don't see the others.

Guess what I need is "An Idiots Guide to Removing Your Carb".

Re: it's hoisted up

lets see...

.. The centerstand is on the ground?

.. The 2 R shock bolts and the large front frame bolt have been removed?

.. The throttle cable was disconnected from the carb?

.. Then the frame was hoisted up a few inches ?

OK... no you are gonna remove the entire carb and intake manifold in one assembly... so remove the 4 screws that attach the reed manifold to the motor.

Then pull the whole carb assy out... then disconnect the fuel line.

Theres your carb...

... ANNNND... mark the float bowl so that you get it back on the way it came off !.. (its possible to put it back on 180 degrees off)... which will make the float hang up... it will drip fuel and not run right till you take it back out and reverse it.

the carb is off

Thanks Fred. I've got the carb off. What confused me was the reed valve thing. At first, I didn't realize that I had to take that unit off as well.

But I've got the carb out. Getting ready to go re-read the section off your guide about carb cleaning.

I have a question though. There's one fuel line that runs from the petcock, one line that just attaches to a short hose. I'm still trying to figure out what the third line on the bottom does.

I ain't smart but i'm a learnin'

Re: the carb is off

Well I have a I... you have a II... so there might be some diff's

But mine has the gas line going in... and a breather line that just dangles... thats it for mine

Now that we are here... you have to try and push the emulsion tube out from the inside.. to clean it too.

Its the brass piece the main jet pushes against.

a bent (blunt) coat hanger or short allen wrench works OK.. they cam be tough to get out though.

David F Martin /

GK, is yours a manual petcock?

Mine (vacuum operated) has two hoses going to it, one for fuel to the carb, the other is vacuum from the intake to turn the petcock on. You can disconnect both hoses, suck on the smaller hose and watch fuel run out of the larger hose.

david

carb cleaned, back on, still stalls

I've cleaned and re-installed the carb and it still is dying on me when it's just idling. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet, however. It seems to puff a lot of white smoke too.

Any ideas?

Re: carb cleaned, back on, still stalls

GK wrote:

>

> I've cleaned and re-installed the carb and it still is dying

> on me when it's just idling. I haven't thoroughly tested it

> yet, however. It seems to puff a lot of white smoke too.

>

> Any ideas?

First.. did you try adjusting the 'idle mixture screw'.. (in addition to the idle speed screw) ??

There is a problem once we get to this point... its very hard for somebody to diagnose specific 'runnability' problems without being there... with words.. talking to a rookie mechanic.

On the carb..

Did you ...

.. use compressed air ?

.. use aerosol carb cleaner ?

.. blow out any and all orifices from both directions ?

.. remove the main jet and hold it up to a bright light and look thru it ?

.. remove the emulsion tube and clean it ?

.. install an inline fuel filter ?

Basically... you have to go back and check all the standard things on a "it runs.. but doesn't run right" situation.

I Know How To Fix It

My did the same not but a month ago and i found out that my idle was all the way down. I turned it up and it ran fine. Try that, it worked for me.

flannelman /

man i think that a little werd reed valve vac. that i so glad i got a simple moped now if i could only get the dam thing to run oh well

hows your choke? if you pull the choke does it stay running? thats the problem i am having. I can't figure out how to fix that though. so i guess i am really no help at all...

Re: I Know How To Fix It

my pa50II was the same way. both my screws are almost all the way out now, especially the air mixture screw, but it runs fine.

thanks for the helping a rookie mechanic

Hey Fred,

Thanks for all the help yesterday. I'm replacing my worn out throttle cable so I have to wait a week for it to come in. Once I get that on, I'll mess with the carb some more. It's been thoroughly cleaned so I think it has to do with the adjustments. How does a rookie mechanic go about setting both the idle speed and the mix?

Also discovered that I have a flat tire. While working on it yesterday, I noticed a sharp piece of glass piercing the front tire. I assume changing a moped tube is about the same as a bicycle, right?

I'm sure I'll get it back on the road next week. It's a battle of wills between the PA and myself, and I think I'm winning. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for teaching me how to tear my moped apart and put it back together.

GK

olympia, wa

http:www.mopedarmy.com

matthew fields /

anter prob besides arb might be dirrty air filter tha ca ase it o choke out and die also

IsLookingUp /

Are you having keyboard trouble? Could you restate your post if there is a thought there?

> anter prob besides arb might be dirrty air filter tha ca ase

> it o choke out and die also

translation:

In addition to cleaning your carb, you might want to take a look at your air filter. That would cause your usually awesome PA50 to choke out and die as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks GK I understand now

IsLookingUp /

Too funny.. LOL I read it over and over and couldn't get the thought. You have done an excellent job interpreting and stating his thought clearly!

Re: Thanks GK I understand now

> Too funny.. LOL I read it over and over and couldn't get the

> thought. You have done an excellent job interpreting and

> stating his thought clearly!

I have a three year old daughter, so I'm kind of used to talking at that level. It's a skill that makes reading message boards on the web more tolerable.

david f martin /

GK, are you suggesting there are 3-year-old girls riding mopeds and posting on this forum?

Damn, I am getting old.

david

> GK, are you suggesting there are 3-year-old girls riding

> mopeds and posting on this forum?

>

> Damn, I am getting old.

No, not at all. Just several people on here with the mentality, comprehension, reading level, and writing level of the average three year old girl.

Of course my princess is far above average =) She let me know the other day that she wants a pink moped when she's bigger.

as 3 plus some decades old girl I object to that statement, gk. rather the "men"tal level of a 3 year old boy :)) Us gurrls are too mature LOL

> as 3 plus some decades old girl I object to that statement,

> gk. rather the "men"tal level of a 3 year old boy :)) Us

> gurrls are too mature LOL

That comment in now way was meant to be an insult to the three year old girls of the world. =) It's a well known fact that girls are smarter and more mature than boys. I should know, I own a few of them.

david f martin /

Yeah, but can a 3 year old girl fix a moped? That's the question.

david

LOL GK, you sound like my dad!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account