E50 case cleaner

Even though I rarely see really clean moped cases, for those of you who do like a clean moped, what is your "guaranteed to work" method to clean engine cases?

kZZUYaY1QZ6PuTHCkHrrcw.jpg

Re: E50 case cleaner

Scrub it clean with warm water.. wash it down with brake cleaner to degrease, use an mag wheel acid to get it "shiny"

I use eagle 1 unpainted mag wheel cleaner.

the acid won't work on grease, so you gotta get it clean first.

Engine degreaser and high pressure washer

Dishwasher.

Brake cleaner soap and water spit shine.

Oven cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush

Probably Fred /

I use to use it my friends auto parts washer, Now they sell one (small parts washer with small tank) with water-based solvent so it’s not is it toxic and works very good,

When clean you can use fine grits of sandpaper and or then a buffing wheel for polished look,

I’ve used a blasting cabinet with walnut shells for a matte finish if it was to be painted but I used without paining before,

Scrap the heavy crap off . Spray oven cleaner on liberally . Go have a long coffee break . Go back and hose the cleaner off .

That's about as easy as it gets , without too much effort .

Spend a few bucks at your local vapor blaster. You’ll love the result.

Talk is cheap.

20170426_010618.jpg
20170428_013109.jpg

***Kim Jong illest*** /

"Super clean" degreaser. Spray it top to bottom, let sit about 10-15 mins, then blast rinse. Boom, looks like new.

I use hot soapy water in a 5 gal bucket and let it soak, shake it a few times..then use concentrated simple green and scrub with a brush. Not as easy as more caustic solutions but it works if you're not in a rush.

i usually light up a cigarette and use the old gas from the tank and various brushes, from paint to toothbrush for those smaller annoying areas being careful not to blow up.

Brad William /

I was looking up sand blasting attachments for my pressure washer recently when it occurred to me that 99 percent of the parts I'd be cleaning would fit in a small box. One thought led to another and I wondered if I might just take an e50 engine block temporarily assembled without its internals, (for example), seal the intake, exhaust, output shaft hole, starting clutch cable hole, etc... drop the engine in my big blue plastic 50 gallon WasteManagement bin along with a few shovelfuls of sand, half fill with water, and just go to town on the well submerged engine with the wand of my 3500psi 3.5gallon washer. I know.. what could go wrong? I'd run a few junk aluminum practice parts first.

But I kinda like some of the elegance here. The pressure will easily keep the sand suspended and disbursed in the water. No wear or tear on the nozzle or equipment. No mess generated outside of the workspace. No loss of media since its contained and recirculated. No solvents or chemicals. The "slurry" could be reused over and over and eventually just drained off in the corner of my yard. The lack of visual control over the work is the only real drawback. But it may matter less than I think. Just reach in and rotate the part occasionally.

3.5gpm will add less than a foot to the level every five minutes. That's just poured off when the sand settles.

Just a daydream. Probably never even get to it. Thanks for letting me think out loud (edited)

> Brad William Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was looking up sand blasting attachments for my pressure washer

You should just do that , today . Take ya 10 minutes to set up .

Let us know how it goes . ;)

Brad William /

...ah, but for a heated garage I wud lad!

I'm trying to find any link online to this being tried but perhaps I'm not using the right search terms.

Glass bead or soda could be used instead of sand. Some sort of quick and ugly gimbal could be welded up to allow the object/part to rotate while submerged. (edited)

Hope your dream comes true . At least the heated garage part . The rest would follow . ;)

I tried a few things over the years but last year I finally broke down and built a simple parts washer out of an old stainless sink, it's got a 5 gallon bucket under the drain and uses a cheap Amazon special parts washer pump. I'm using some solvent I bought from tractor supply that's like mineral spirits but works a lot better. It's kinda pokey compared to the automatic ones but it's handy to have for little stuff and melts off grease and oil like nothin.

If you really want them nice and clean you can't beat vapor blasting. It cost me about 75 bucks for a whole e50 a few years ago, then shipping both ways, it adds up. Tough to justify for most of the junk I build.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account