The one moped guy

Angry Hipster /

I think I heard on the Moped Monday podcast some passing reverence for the hypothetical guy who manages to just own one moped and take care of it well.

I kind of took this to heart and have passed on some of my projects and what I've noticed is immediately I had less clutter in the garage which made organization easier, and there was less work to do = less anxiety, and I felt more comfortable buying parts for my one bike. Tires, Cylinder, Pipe, Cables, etc don't really matter too much or take too long if it's just for one bike.

Of course there is nothing bad or wrong about collecting, and having a bunch of bikes is cool, but this one bike mindset seems worth mentioning here. There is a certain freedom to it.

Re: The one moped guy

I’m a fan of the two Bike situation. So if one breaks I still have another to ride. Less parts and less clutter for sure.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have dreams of having one bike. Then I realize that I love looking at junk

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Ive been in purge mood for the past year and its nice to let go of some nagging projects. I had a couple Honda SL70 projects i swore i would never sell that are now gone... feels great. Also got rid of a few moped projects, some dirtbikes (even riders) and other misc junk. I still have way more than a need but less really has a charm to it.

Personally i think 1 is too few for someone that likes wretching / modifying. I think the perfect number is probably between 2-3 bikes. 1 to always be a constant runner, and another to fix up. Plus, i like a few different styles of riding so 1 bike wouldn't suit me. I have a qt50 i love to ride around town but sometimes i just need more power so i go for my CB250.

> ugp * Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’m a fan of the two Bike situation. So if one breaks I still have

> another to ride. Less parts and less clutter for sure.

^This...………...but like MopedLar and others, I have a weakness....LOL!

The "ten bikes but they're all torn apart and one sort of runs" thing isn't for everyone.

Ive got 2 bikes and my girls got 1,mine and my girls are a reliable 35 and the loaner Sachs goes 33, its nice having an extra in case someone wants to ride along, of course they always get the slower one duh.

I have four runners that are all kinda different. I like how they all have their own ride characteristics.

IMG_8293.JPG

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Ive been in purge mood for the past year and its nice to let go of some

> nagging projects. I had a couple Honda SL70 projects i swore i would

> never sell that are now gone... feels great. Also got rid of a few moped

> projects, some dirtbikes (even riders) and other misc junk. I still have

> way more than a need but less really has a charm to it.

>

> Personally i think 1 is too few for someone that likes wretching /

> modifying. I think the perfect number is probably between 2-3 bikes. 1

> to always be a constant runner, and another to fix up. Plus, i like a

> few different styles of riding so 1 bike wouldn't suit me. I have a qt50

> i love to ride around town but sometimes i just need more power so i go

> for my CB250.

Pretty much this. Got a qt50 I'm building, a 650cc single thumper and a fun daily car. I can't imagine having more than one moped again. For some reason I feel more comfortable pouring money into the peds than the other toys.

I just ditched a buncha projects for a motorcycle I wanted. Still kept far too many mopeds but even though it wasn't a super deal money wise it has made my life and moped time much freer and more fun. No burden to get things ready and running and sold

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I have dreams of having one bike. Then I realize that I love looking at

> junk

That is it right there! Ugh I am drowning Some one throw me a life preserver.....

Overpriced Parts /

I got not as much stuff as I used to, got some non runners and runners but a few kitted and two stock modified bikes are the ones I use as a regular basis,

In really cold/crappy weather I mostly use my winter beater stock modded magnum, when I use to use a kitted gold Maxi II But the magnum holds more weight, is heavier duty and handles better,

If I could only keep two bikes I would keep one magnum MKII and the Tomos revival or just two magnum MKIIs,

I could never have just one bike unless I had a really fuel efficient car, some bikes I use could go to the grocery store/most local stores and back and use a cup of gas or less,

No way am I going sell most every every bike and part I have just to be able to buy a used Prius which I really don’t like anyway,

I had 4 cars. Now i have 2. I have 1 running moped and building three others. I have a 2 stroke yammy twin that deserves love but has been sitting for a year.

I need to finish my builds and sell everythinf and buy a rally yaris.(edited)

I only have one ... one noped ... one street bike ... one dual sport bike ... one SUV ... one motor home ... one wife ... one dog ... ;)

I can always use another dog or moped, but if I could afford to, I would get rid of the wife.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> I would get rid of the wife.

Mine's a keeper . We're 24 years into it and no end in sight .

Too hard to find a mate that you want to grow old with . ;)

> P D Wrote:

> > Trent Anderson Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I would get rid of the wife.

>

> Mine's a keeper . We're 24 years into it and no end in sight .

>

> Too hard to find a mate that you want to grow old with . ;)

I’m keeping mine too, this go around. 18 years deep, and still digging it. She buys me mopeds.

That said, it was well worth the expense getting rid of the first one.

Overpriced Parts /

Got married in 1980 so I’m keeping the wife but I would like to be an empty Nester in the next few years, last kid, my 22-year-old son is still home, he can still stay awhile longer because it’s nice having a in house Motörhead (< funny The device spelled the rock group) but I hope he finds a keeper girl sometime soon and moves out,

I'd love to have 3-4 and have my garage and backyard space back.

Mopeds.

In June 2018 I stumbled across my first. A dusty, minty, blue Vespa Bravo with 432 miles, tucked away in the back corner of a Honda shop that used to be an old Vespa dealer. It was listed privately on FB Marketplace for $400. I cleaned the tank and had it running in an afternoon. Soon thereafter it got a Proma pipe, 13.13 carb, and Polini variator. Oooh the 35mph fun! I was a one moped man. I was bored.

That same summer, I came across a Craigslist ad for three mopeds for sale an hour and a half away, in a podunk, tiny town in N Idaho called Peck. The owner of the mopeds had died, and his brother (a Harley guy) didn’t want them. There was a 1980 Morton Medalist, 1981 Puch Newport II, and a 1965 Wards Riverside. I bought them all for $500. None ran. In a couple days I had the Riverside and the Morton running. The Puch frame was full of holes in the tank. I missed that when I bought it; I was green and didn’t know what to look for. No biggie though. Over the next couple months I sourced a good frame, and swapped everything over. The piston was missing rings, so I replaced them, changed pucks, and flipped second gear, being careful to double check everything, including tranny shimming. I was reading and learning everything I could find about these new toys. I put a ton of time, effort, and money into them, replacing cables, tires, electrical, servicing brakes and bearings; going thru them thoroughly with a fine toothed comb, making them safe and reliable.

At this point, I had four mopeds. And an addiction. Because I couldn’t resist browsing the classifieds looking for more. I was hooked. in the meantime I completely disassembled the Wards Riverside to do a complete unrestoration. I’m going thru it bit by bolt, making everything right, but I’m gonna keep the patina and do a linseed oil finish on it. It’s a long term project, and still disassembled and catalogued.

In my searching I came across my Red-Headed Step-child moped- a 1981 Honda Express II for $150. It took two hours of tinkering (and a wave washer) and that little sucker ran like new. But it was a Noped, and I really didn’t like it. It’s the only one I no longer own at this time.

I soon found my first Free Spirit. It was the Deluxe silver model, but had been spray painted blue. I ran the vin, and picked it up for a hundred bucks. It needed a lot of work, but was mostly complete. Then I came across a nearly complete Cimatti Town Bike for $150. A few weeks later I found another Free Spirit and a Puch Newport L on Craigslist. The Free Spirit was the standard red model, and it was completely disassembled, but came with a ton of NOS performance mods that had never been installed. It was a build that was abandoned. It even came with a minty Magnum tank, I think the guy was gonna top tank it, and make a poor mans magnum. I traded the Magnum tank for other stuff I needed. I was pretty well lined up for Winter projects. I restored the Cimatti to beautiful condition and gave it to my wife for Christmas last year. The Newport L just needed a carb clean and ignition service. over the winter last year I built both Free Spirits. The red Standard got a 70cc treats kit, with all new internals. The Deluxe got a Gila. Both case matched with new everything. The Free Spirits also got all new cables, Gazelle tires, tubes, etc.

By late spring 2019 I had them both running great. At this point I had Nine freaking mopeds. I was one year into the habit. Eight of the bikes were in good running condition; only the Riverside was torn down. I was maintaining my addiction pretty well, at least in my own mind.

But that’s where I hit rock bottom. An ad with Five mopeds popped up on Marketplace, coincidentally 15 minutes from Peck, Idaho. What the heck are all these mopeds doing in North Idaho? Anyway, there were 2 Motobecane 50VLA’s, a Bermuda Hampton, a Bravo Super Deluxe, and a Ciao. Non running, of course. The guy wanted a reliable moped to putt around the fish hatchery he worked at, but He wasn’t particularly good at fixing them. I had the solution. I traded him the Red-headed stepchild Honda for all five of them. (I think I screwed up, I don’t know French). I was able to get one Moby going right away. The other was seized. The Bravo crankshaft nut was wrung off, needs a new crank. The Ciao was grubby but decent. I've been working hard on it lately to give to a little buddy of mine, and it’s almost ready. Waiting for a few final parts n pieces.The Bermuda... well, it needs a lot of love and time- another long term project.

Later in the Summer, I found another janky Motobecane 50VLA for $100. I’ll probably sacrifice it for parts for the other two.

Then, just before Christmas this year, I found another silver Free Spirit Deluxe nearby. Complete with all plastics, not running, for $100. I haven’t attacked it yet. I will probably completely go thru it and flip this one.

So, here I am in my present state. Up to my eyeballs in my addiction.15 damn mopeds. Seven of them run very well and can ride at any time. Two more are almost there. Two are long term unicorn projects. Three I hope to conquer this winter.

15 seems like a good amount for my budget, space, and time. I like variety. I have slow, stock, pretty mopeds to show off, slightly tuned cruisers for zipping around town, and a couple rippers for heading out into the countryside. Plus a few projects to keep my hands and mind busy. Budgeting is tough with this many. Lots of mopeds makes mopeds expensive. I am very picky, and everything must be done right, with the best available parts. All bikes get new tires, tubes, cables, transmission fluid, crank seals, ignition, and often seats. All brakes are serviced and bearings greased. I do State VIN records searches through the DOL and begin the title application process for all bikes. I also make a hand written log book using a Steno pad, for every bike, documenting how and where I bought it as well as everything I do to it, with Bill of Sale, receipts and records for all parts, services and expenses inside. This way I always have accurate records of how much I’ve put into every bike. Patience and discipline are mandatory, or spending could easily get out of hand. That’s why I plan to resell a bike or two here and there, to help fund the others. I maintain my bikes and records in a professional manner as if I were a legitimate shop. Maybe I will be someday. I’ve got a decent inventory ;)

I can definitely see advantages to only having one. All time and money can be focused on a single bike, which would make for a great ride. But nah, not me. There are way too many sweet mopeds to limit oneself to just one.

TLDR: Mopeds are like Lays potato chips salted with crack. One ain’t gonna satisfy.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve owned hundreds of mopeds over the years. Now I only own four. I feel liberated. No more wrenching, just riding. The way it should be.

I have a hell of a time not buying bikes, a lack of space saves me, as does advancing age, and changing traffic patterns, (people here have quit obeying traffic laws and are constantly phone in face) making low powered bikes much more dangerous they were when I started riding, even than 20 yrs ago. I'm making the move to more powerful bikes, scooters, to save my skin! But will probably always have at least one moped, they are just such a blast from the past, but they have crossed over into full antique, which has changed the game a bit. Just one would be cool...

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> I can always use another dog or moped, but if I could afford to, I would

> get rid of the wife.

LOL!

I sold 7 Kreidlers, 2 Solex, free spirit and maxi both with polini, Vespa grande and a nice ct90 in 2017-18. All we’re running and complete.

I have 4 left. A Solex, 2 Kreidlers and my shifty Florett.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Got married in 1980 so I’m keeping the wife but I would like to be an

> empty Nester in the next few years, last kid, my 22-year-old son is

> still home, he can still stay awhile longer because it’s nice having a

> in house Motörhead (< funny The device spelled the rock group) but I

> hope he finds a keeper girl sometime soon and moves out,

You.must be out of touch with reality..now they find a girl keeper and your family grows at home because they move her in and still doesn't move out ..

Overpriced Parts /

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Got married in 1980 so I’m keeping the wife but I would like to be an

>

> > empty Nester in the next few years, last kid, my 22-year-old son is

>

> > still home, he can still stay awhile longer because it’s nice having a

>

> > in house Motörhead (< funny The device spelled the rock group) but I

>

> > hope he finds a keeper girl sometime soon and moves out,

>

> You.must be out of touch with reality..now they find a girl keeper and

> your family grows at home because they move her in and still doesn't

> move out ..

Yeah that kinda happened with the family down the street, The daughter got married had a couple kids, the husband was a jerk and abandoned the family and now they have not only their daughter back but two grandkids as well,

For awhile I was getting bummed about unfinished projects but now I got a big ol barn and I just stack them up in there and work on whatever I want to and enjoy it. I might be a hoarder but at least I'm not bumming about it. There is nothing inherently good or bad about having lots of unfinished projects, but don't let it bring ya down.

Overpriced Parts /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> For awhile I was getting bummed about unfinished projects but now I got

> a big ol barn and I just stack them up in there and work on whatever I

> want to and enjoy it. I might be a hoarder but at least I'm not bumming

> about it. There is nothing inherently good or bad about having lots of

> unfinished projects, but don't let it bring ya down.

Totally agree, for many years I did a few bikes a year many down to the frame, cleaning detailing them kit/tuning and riding them in the process 3 to 500 miles just to sell and start over, I just got a email the other day from someone 9-10 years ago who is still riding the 70cc dmp kitted bike I sold him,

Even while working and raising a family just a few hours a week I was able to accomplish this, it is very relaxing and rewarding taking something 30-40 years old and making it look new and run better than it was when it was new,

I would love to restore a old car down to the frame if I had the garage space but I don’t think I could do one nowhere as quick as a moped or small 2t motorcycle!

Bruce Zapper /

Just remember one thing ,the temptation will always be there and you won't be able to resist,there is no better feeling than finding a moped that hasn't run for years and giving life back to it! Well, there might be one thing!

im def a one moped (of each) kinda guy

onebike.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account