Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

I had a DiBlasi for a while but I had issue after issue with it so I sold it last summer. I kinda want to buy another one but they’re so much. I’m willing to buy a non runner but not an incomplete one. I also would prefer Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki etc. although I’d consider a tomos, or puch or something. Anywhere you guys look to find good deals? Not really looking to spend over 300 but maybe that’s unrealistic

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

I look at CL a lot but never find much in my area that’s affordable(edited)

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Issue after issue is normal with mopeds. I can maybe suggest another sport.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Craigslist, FB market place, buy/sell forum here. I used to put up a picture of a moped, (so people don't call you about scooters) on grocery store buy/sell boards. Check out pawn shops, RV dealers and garage/estate sales. If you have one, RIDE it, be seen, I have had people come up to me and say they have one of those in the shed, ya want it? There are some shops that sell complete bikes.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Are you in Alaska? I'm in new York and I might have a Pacer for sale. It's kitted but needs a performance exhaust and needs to be jetted to match the new exhaust.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

If you only want to spend 300, your going to have issue after issue.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Overpriced Parts /

Find a time machine and go back in time about 15 years and check the newspaper (when there was daily newspapers) for sale ad sections,

Fleesebay, gaglist and American pickers made everything so expensive nowadays because everybody thinks they have gold,

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

^ More like 25 yrs back, but it is not all bad now, you just have to look a bit harder, go to retirement communities, RV parks/dealers, mopeds often come with traded in motorhomes. Many older folks, (I are one) have them and don't use them and wonder how they could be rid of them, let it be known in your area, by riding and or ASKING about them, and you will be surprised at what shows up, garage sales are your friend, I got my Motobecane model "7" for free at a church garage sale, the owner was pushing it towards the dumpster, and I was walking by, asked her about it, she said they would not let her bring it inside the church as it was gas powered, and she would be dammed if she would take it home, it had never been titled or plated, she put it in my hands and thanked me for taking it off her hands! I pushed it the 2 miles home, needed a new coil, she is a runner now, titled and plated, I don't ride it much, as it is not fast, but it is a classic, and it was free. Garage and estate sales are listed online, go to them, often times bikes are not even put out for sale as people don't think anyone would want them, ASK. Walk around, don't drive, you see more.

069.jpg

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You know an interstate trucker ask him to pick you one up like in Ohio or somewhere sold quite a few to Truckers...

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

^^Again, FREE!!! :) That's affordable, cost 50 some odd to title it, plates are $15.00 a year, I don't ride it enough to insure it but if I did would be about $8.00 a month like my other bikes. Since I have a current plate the cops just wave at me on my neighborhood runs.(edited)

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ More like 25 yrs back, but it is not all bad now, you just have to

> look a bit harder, go to retirement communities, RV parks/dealers,

> mopeds often come with traded in motorhomes. Many older folks, (I are

> one) have them and don't use them and wonder how they could be rid of

> them, let it be known in your area, by riding and or ASKING about them,

> and you will be surprised at what shows up, garage sales are your

> friend, I got my Motobecane model "7" for free at a church garage sale,

> the owner was pushing it towards the dumpster, and I was walking by,

> asked her about it, she said they would not let her bring it inside the

> church as it was gas powered, and she would be dammed if she would take

> it home, it had never been titled or plated, she put it in my hands and

> thanked me for taking it off her hands! I pushed it the 2 miles home,

> needed a new coil, she is a runner now, titled and plated, I don't ride

> it much, as it is not fast, but it is a classic, and it was free. Garage

> and estate sales are listed online, go to them, often times bikes are

> not even put out for sale as people don't think anyone would want them,

> ASK. Walk around, don't drive, you see more.

23 years ago I bought my first one and when I went to pick it up it was still connected to the old couple's motorhome.

I paid 300 bucks and it had less than 100 miles on it.

So much fun till someone stole it.

I don't even remember what brand it was. I remember it being a 1980s European step through that was black with gold accents in the paint.

I also bought a moped from a yard sale for 50 bucks and it too got stolen off my porch. That one I am pretty positive it was a red Derbi. I never even got to ride that one.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Issue after issue is normal with mopeds. I can maybe suggest another

> sport.

Ok issue after issue meaning parts availability and pricing , my ignition went out after 279 miles and it would cost over 300 dollars to fix. So I sold it for 4 times what I paid for it.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> kenny s Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Are you in Alaska? I'm in new York and I might have a Pacer for sale.

> It's kitted but needs a performance exhaust and needs to be jetted to

> match the new exhaust.

No I live in northern MI, I saw a nice looking QT50 for $300 downstate like 3 hours away but up in northern Michigan they are super expensive.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Find a time machine and go back in time about 15 years and check the

> newspaper (when there was daily newspapers) for sale ad sections,

>

> Fleesebay, gaglist and American pickers made everything so expensive

> e nowadays because everybody thinks they have gold,

Isn’t that the truth. I have a hard time believing a bike with an engine is worth thousands but maybe that’s just me. I’ve checked my newspaper but all I see is overpriced TaoTao Chinese scooters and clapped out Honda sprees which I think are ugly.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ More like 25 yrs back, but it is not all bad now, you just have to

> look a bit harder, go to retirement communities, RV parks/dealers,

> mopeds often come with traded in motorhomes. Many older folks, (I are

> one) have them and don't use them and wonder how they could be rid of

> them, let it be known in your area, by riding and or ASKING about them,

> and you will be surprised at what shows up, garage sales are your

> friend, I got my Motobecane model "7" for free at a church garage sale,

> the owner was pushing it towards the dumpster, and I was walking by,

> asked her about it, she said they would not let her bring it inside the

> church as it was gas powered, and she would be dammed if she would take

> it home, it had never been titled or plated, she put it in my hands and

> thanked me for taking it off her hands! I pushed it the 2 miles home,

> needed a new coil, she is a runner now, titled and plated, I don't ride

> it much, as it is not fast, but it is a classic, and it was free. Garage

> and estate sales are listed online, go to them, often times bikes are

> not even put out for sale as people don't think anyone would want them,

> ASK. Walk around, don't drive, you see more.

WOW! That is GREAT advice I will try that in the spring for garage sale season! I even live a couple miles away from a KOA campground maybe I could find a lead there

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Here's a Honda scrambler for 350 bucks in Lake City :

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/583872415758483/

Yeah it's not a moped , but , it is a classic .

Doesn't look too far gone , either .

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^^Again, FREE!!! :) That's affordable, cost 50 some odd to title it,

> plates are $15.00 a year, I don't ride it enough to insure it but if I

> did would be about $8.00 a month like my other bikes. Since I have a

> current plate the cops just wave at me on my neighborhood runs.

In mi we don’t even need insurance so it’d be even cheaper! I’ll have to check out some garage sales and such for a free one

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ^ More like 25 yrs back, but it is not all bad now, you just have to

>

> > look a bit harder, go to retirement communities, RV parks/dealers,

>

> > mopeds often come with traded in motorhomes. Many older folks, (I are

>

> > one) have them and don't use them and wonder how they could be rid of

>

> > them, let it be known in your area, by riding and or ASKING about

> them,

>

> > and you will be surprised at what shows up, garage sales are your

>

> > friend, I got my Motobecane model "7" for free at a church garage

> sale,

>

> > the owner was pushing it towards the dumpster, and I was walking by,

>

> > asked her about it, she said they would not let her bring it inside

> the

>

> > church as it was gas powered, and she would be dammed if she would

> take

>

> > it home, it had never been titled or plated, she put it in my hands

> and

>

> > thanked me for taking it off her hands! I pushed it the 2 miles home,

>

> > needed a new coil, she is a runner now, titled and plated, I don't

> ride

>

> > it much, as it is not fast, but it is a classic, and it was free.

> Garage

>

> > and estate sales are listed online, go to them, often times bikes are

>

> > not even put out for sale as people don't think anyone would want

> them,

>

> > ASK. Walk around, don't drive, you see more.

>

> 23 years ago I bought my first one and when I went to pick it up it was

> still connected to the old couple's motorhome.

>

> I paid 300 bucks and it had less than 100 miles on it.

>

> So much fun till someone stole it.

>

> I don't even remember what brand it was. I remember it being a 1980s

> European step through that was black with gold accents in the paint.

>

> I also bought a moped from a yard sale for 50 bucks and it too got

> stolen off my porch. That one I am pretty positive it was a red Derbi. I

> never even got to ride that one.

Dang that sucks! I went to a lot of yard sales last spring and never found one but I’ll have to keep looking this coming spring. Sure would be nice to get one for free/50 bucks, it’s not the work that bothers me but if it costs $300 for an ignition (like on my diblasi) there’s no way. Was a fun moped while it lasted but parts were CRAZY expensive

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Largemouth Bass Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>Was a fun moped while it lasted but parts were CRAZY expensive

Have you tried making less expensive stuff work ?

And , where in Northern Michigan are you ?

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Personally if I wanted a complete stock bike to play with I would talk to Dos. I bet they have lots of cool bikes you could never find anywhere else.

Their prices are reasonable considering shipping is included.

You could always just buy a frame and go from there with a long term project.

That's what I've had to do.

The only bike on CL right now is an ugly Tomos and in the past I've seen a $1000 ciao,Pacer and kromag. All of em beat up.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Personally if I wanted a complete stock bike to play with I would talk

> to Dos. I bet they have lots of cool bikes you could never find anywhere

> else.

>

> Their prices are reasonable considering shipping is included.

>

> You could always just buy a frame

and go from there with a long term

> project.

>

> That's what I've had to do.

>

> The only bike on CL right now is an ugly Tomos and in the past I've seen

> a $1000 ciao,Pacer and kromag. All of em beat up.

DOS? Sorry I’m not familiar with what you mean. Yeah there’s nothing good on my local CL either

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here's a Honda scrambler for 350 bucks in Lake City :

>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/583872415758483/

>

> Yeah it's not a moped , but , it is a classic

>

> Doesn't look too far gone , either .

That IS pretty neat but I’d have to get a plate and insurance and stuff and I wouldn’t with a moped. There is a 70s DT250 in my grandmothers barn that needs an exhaust, ignition, seat, and air cleaner that I probably could get cheap. But I was hoping to find a cheap moped

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Largemouth Bass Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >Was a fun moped while it lasted but parts were CRAZY expensive

>

> Have you tried making less expensive stuff work ?

>

> And , where in Northern Michigan are you ?

I couldn't find any parts that would work and if a coil lasts less than 300 miles, I was concerned about the reliability of the rest of the bike.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Sorry, https://www.doscycles.com/

Best bet would be to email them.

The website only lists a small amount of what they have.

That's pretty cool your state isn't very strict with it's moped laws.

Arizona used to be like that when I was younger and had my first bike.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry, https://www.doscycles.com/

>

> Best bet would be to email them.

>

> The website only lists a small amount of what they have.

>

> That's pretty cool your state isn't very strict with it's moped laws.

>

> Arizona used to be like that when I was younger and had my first bike.

Yeah it’s not bad at all! If I could have my dream bike it’d be a Trail 90 because I could register it as a moped. I’ll check out the website!

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

41UmVrtH0lL._AC_SY400_ML3_.jpg

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Under 300$... be careful you are not getting something stolen, rattle canned and flipped by some meth head or gas huffer

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

Dirty30 Dillon /

Mopeds are crossing over into "vintage motorcycle" territory, so if you want something cheap your best bet is a well-used, 90's scooter.

Re: Where to find AFFORDABLE mopeds

90's scooters is where the money is these days. Just a small hint for you guys overseas (living in big cities) stock up on 90's scooters. Shit has gone wild here, a stock Honda Scoopy is worth 500/800€ now.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account