puch throttle/carburater

does anyone know how the throttle should be adjusted in an '86 Puch Austro Daimler 2 speed? It doesn't have enough tension to pull the throttle back in to place when you let go of it. I am also having trouble keeping the engine going, i have to hold the choke in all the way just to keep the engine turning. I've cleaned the carburater twice, spark plug looks good, but i can't get it to run.

Re: puch throttle/carburater

ok got the throttle fixed now it seems like the choke is too high. it starts up now but i still have to use the choke to keep the engine from dying. HELP!

Ron Brown /

Justn,

Give us some history on the ped and what you have done to it.

Have you read Fred's guide?

Ron

hi. well i have taken the carb apart and cleaned it with a brillo pad and cleaner, poking wire through the holes in all the little orifices and everything. that messed up the throttle adjustment but i got that fixed. Now i am wondering if i have an air leak or something because i am getting way too much air. but i am not sure if maybe my choke isn't working right or something...

Ron Brown /

Justin,

You can test for an air leak by puffing a little carb cleaner around the intake, between the carb and cylinder, while the engine is running. If any is sucked in, the engine note will change.

The choke can nevere give you too much air or too little gas, except when cold starting.

Did you hold the main jet up to a bright light and make sure there was no crud in it?

How do you know it is too much air?

Ron

i guess i don't know that it is getting too much air, i am only assuming that because i have to hold the choke all the time. i don't really know what i am doing so if i mis-diagnose something then i am completely open to advise. that you for the help so far.

when i put the carb back on i am having trouble keeping the throttle tight. i have to slide the carb back to take up the slack and i have that adjusting nut on the cable as loose tight as i can get it. i am thinking that the carb is slid back too far and that may be causing a leak but i am not sure. i'll try checking for a leak the way you showed me and i'll let you know.

Your carb needs to be all the way up on the intake man....Maybe your throttle cable is too long. What kinda carb is in the Astro Daimler? A bing?

yeah its a the engine is a maxi, the carb is a bing

thanks, the thing is it seemed to be working fine until i got it home from where i baught it (of course). then it started crapping out. thanks for the help

Justin

Check out the exploded parts view on this link and try to verify that reassembled your carb correctly.

The throttle cable feeds down through part number 7 (coiled spring) and connects at the bottom of part # 3 (throttle slide)

Parts 4, 5 and 6 go into the inside of part # 3 and then part #7 goes in last and then you compress tem all together so you can hook the button on the throtlle cable end through the bottom of the throttle slide.

Part number 5 (clip) needs to be the second notch from the top of part # 4.

Crisis is coorect, you need to have the carb all the way onto the intake pipe.

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/bingpuch.html

thanks for the diagram, i think i got it together right. i noticed however that in the inside where the main jet is there are some dings and dents. would that cause any problems?

Justin the inside of the carb casing topography isn't perfectly smooth, you would have to take some pics of the area in question and them post them here.

Did you push out the pin that holds the floatt in place and remove the float needle valve (part#20). This should be removed and CAREFULLY cleaned with WD40 or a very fine steel wool 0000. CAREFULLY clean the tip with just WD40 and a soft cloth but DON'T put too much pressure on thta tip or it will come off and then you have to buy a new float needle.

While you have it out, clean the hole in the carb casing where the float needle slides up and down. This is the fuel path into the bowl. What happens is when it is all reassembled is gas flows down into the bowl, the float rises causing the flaot needle valve tip to close the hole and shut off the flow of gas into the bowl. The carb sucks up the gas in the bowl as it is needed and the float goes back down and the process is repeated.

Also make sure part # 32 is smooth and flat with no old varnish or gunk on it and no burrs so it slides up and down smoothly.

justin wilmore /

ok thanks for the help, also when i put the carb back on it screws up the throttle and choke adjustment, how can i adjust it?

Can you clarify what you mean by "screws up" your throttle/choke adjustment?

Are you sure reassembled the card throttle mechanism correctly?

The throttle slide cylinder has a vertical groove on the outside edge, this has to align with a small protrusion or bump that is inside the carb casing for the throttle slide track on. Make sure you get this aligned properly.

The choke slide (flat piece of metal) should hook into the notch at the bottom of the choke stem with the small little tab pointing in toward the throttle slide. If everything is paut together correctly and the carb is reassembled the following is what should happen;

You push down on the choke stem and try to start the bike.

When you twist the throttle it pulls the throttle cable up towards the throttle handle. At the other end of the throttle cable (inside the carb) the button that is hooked to the bottom of the throttle slide cylinder will cause the cylinder to move upwards. You will notice on one side of the throttle cylinder at the top edge is a small cut out. This is what should engage that little tab that is sticking out from the choke slide. As the throttle slide cylinder comes up, it engages the choke slide tab and the choke slide also moves up, thus moving up the choke stem.

So each time you push down on the choke stem and then twist the throttle, the choke stem should come up.

The spring inside the throttle slide is force teh thottle slide back down when you release or back off on the throttle.

Make sure you have the three pieces assembled correctly inside the throttle slide before you route the cable and spring down into the throttle cylinder. The correct sequence is

Needle valve with the clip on the second notch from the top. This looks like a little Fencing foil. Make sure the clip is rotated to seat properly inside the throttle slide cylinder.

Next goes the washer to keep the needle valve and clip in place.

Next insert the spring with the throttle cable inside of it.

Thread the cable buuton end down through the bottom of the throttle slide cylinder into the round slotted opening and slide it over to lock it in place. This is a little tricky to do, so take your time. It is easy for me to turn this assembly upside down when I'm trying to assemble it, i.e. Turning the throttle cylinder slide upside down and forcing the spring up inside the cylinder. What ever works best for you.

When you get the throttle slide assembly put together, before you put it back inside the carb, leave it hanging on the end of the throttle cable and test it by twisting the throttle grip. You should see the spring being compressed and pulling the whole throttle slide assembly together on the carb end of the cable.

When you get it all back together, final adjustment of the cable length can be made at the top the carb where the throttle cable goes into the little elbow pipe on top of the carb. There should be an adjuster screw that has one end going into the elbow pipe and the other end joins the cable end. With the engine running, turn this adjuster screw to the left or counter clockwise to shorten the cable length and make the engine idle faster or screw it to the right (clockwise) to decrease the idle speed.

Use the Idle screw on the side of the carb for final Idle tuning, screw in to idel faster, out to slow it down.

Good luck and let us know how you do,

justin wilmore /

i have the cable together right inside the carb, its on the outside a the elbow bend that i have the problem. I have the adjusting nut screwed out almost as far as it goes but it still doesn't have enough tension to pull the throttle handle back in place. this happened before to i cleaned the throttle slide with cleaner and a brillo pad and i got it to work right, but i still had to pull the choke to get it to run right so i took it all apart again and now its doing the same thing again with the throttle. i can't tell if the cable is too long because it was working fine when i bought it. is dirty gas maybe the problem? i have no idea how long the gas has been in the tank, maybe i should drain it and replace it with some freash stuff?

thank you so very much for your help

justin

Ron Brown /

justin wilmore wrote:

>

> i have the cable together right inside the carb, its on the

> outside a the elbow bend that i have the problem. I have the

> adjusting nut screwed out almost as far as it goes but it

> still doesn't have enough tension to pull the throttle handle

> back in place. this happened before to i cleaned the throttle

> slide with cleaner and a brillo pad and i got it to work

> right, but i still had to pull the choke to get it to run

> right so i took it all apart again and now its doing the same

> thing again with the throttle. i can't tell if the cable is

> too long because it was working fine when i bought it. is

> dirty gas maybe the problem? i have no idea how long the gas

> has been in the tank, maybe i should drain it and replace it

> with some freash stuff?

>

> thank you so very much for your help

>

> justin

Justin,

Chris and Zippy have some good advice here. You sound like you have some problem with your carb assembly or cable that you fixed once, so you should be able to fix it again if you look carefully for where the problem is.

If you can lift up on the cable at the carb and it pulls back in firmly when you release it, your carb is ok and you should be looking for that problem in the cable or throttle control. The screw adjustment is just to set the free play in the cable with the throttle closed (about 1/16").

Reading this thread, you never talk about the condition of the main jet. Do you know what this is and are you sure you cleaned it?

Fresh gas and an in line filter would be a good idea.

Ron

justin wilmore /

thank you everyone for your help. i cleaned the main jet and throttle slide really well and its working great now. thank you all again.

Ron Brown /

Justin

Cool, your symptoms were a classic Main jet problem.

Ron

justin wilmore /

ok now i seem to be flooding, it runs good, idles but after a few minutes full throttle the engine bogs down and then quits. if i let it rest and pedal it a little it comes back on for a while. it will sit and idle just fine. so is this a float problem?

Ron Brown /

Justin,

I don't know why you say you are flooding, unless there is gas spilling out of the carb somewhere.

The symptoms point to a lack of gas. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put the fuel line in a jar and turn on the gas to make sure you are getting good fuel flow.

Check the banjo on the carb where the fuel line attaches and see if it has a screen inside it.

If you still have the problem, try loosening the gas cap. It has a vent in it to allow air to go in as the gas runs out.

Ron

Justin

Just increase the idle speed a bit by using the screw on the side of the carb, Turn it In or to the right clockwise to make it idle a little faster.

Did you drain out the old gas and put in a fresh mix of 50:1 (2.5 ounces of 2 cycle motor oil to 1 gallon of new regular gas.

What spark plug did you put in it and what was the gap setting?

ok i'll check the fuel line next, failing that i'll do the sppark plug. do you know what the gap is supposed to be?

Are we talking to a split personality here?

Ron Brown /

Good question Zippy.

Ron

whoops! somebody else used my computer! ok i am back now. although i t would still be a good idea not to feed me after midnight and pet me and be nice to me a nd give me lots of coffee...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account